The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 07, 2014, 05:19:10 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 07, 2014, 05:16:10 PM
I might be wrong, but I reckon most of the lads on this thread have liked soccer for a lot longer than Sky's involvement. The game is hard to watch at times these days. The diving, cheating, whining and bitching would make you long for Norman Hunter or Nobby Stiles, but at the end of the day there is something that stirs the emotions about it, like it or not.

Aren't we seeing the same on gaelic fields across the country though?

Yep, and Sky are moving in there too.

theskull1

I might be wrong, but I reckon most of the lads on this thread have liked soccer for a lot longer than Sky's involvement. The game is hard to watch at times these days. The diving, cheating, whining and bitching would make you long for Norman Hunter or Nobby Stiles, but at the end of the day there is something that stirs the emotions about it, like it or not.

Football provides lots of people with a common interest to chat about down the pub or in work or anywhere where for that matter. Like it? Yes OK but the whole notion of it actually stirring emotion within people who have no connection with the place these clubs are based is something I will never get my head around.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

All sport stirs emotions to some extent. The struggle, the near misses, the successes etc etc. if sport didn't stir the emotions at some level, then it's just 22 lads chasing a bag of wind. It's the human struggle that engages you.

Geographical attachments or not, it's undeniable that soccer fans do feel some level of attachment with their favourite teams, which heightens the emotional investment.

rrhf

Quote from: theskull1 on May 07, 2014, 05:58:11 PM

Football provides lots of people with a common interest to chat about down the pub or in work or anywhere where for that matter. Like it? Yes OK but the whole notion of it actually stirring emotion within people who have no connection with the place these clubs are based is something I will never get my head around.
To me it is a type of utterley misappropriated juvenile and poorly judged love.  Think of the top pros Imagine idolising someone who dosent know your name and who would run away from you in the street if you tried to say hello and he'd be thinking of you as a wierdo or you might hit him or sell a lewd story about him. Who just about will look up and clap you at the end of the game if you are lucky as he kisses his badge.   Its weird that.   I havent been able to watch a full 90 minutes for some years now.  I will nod off... even between those very difficult to score goals..

AZOffaly

Oh well, each to his own I suppose. But I don't idolise any of these players, I just support the team and want them to win.

Captain Obvious

Aston Villa kept Manchester city out in that 1st half. Can they nick a goal on the break?

CD

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 07, 2014, 08:35:50 PM
Aston Villa kept Manchester city out in that 1st half. Can they nick a goal on the break?

I think they can - City are going to be a nervous lot after the break!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Quote from: CD on May 07, 2014, 08:37:41 PM

Not a hope. City will win about 4-0. Once they get 1 the gates will open
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: laoislad on May 07, 2014, 08:47:39 PMNot a hope. City will win about 4-0. Once they get 1 the gates will open

+1

J OGorman

Quote from: CD on May 07, 2014, 08:37:41 PM

A team with no outfield home grown players? Those mercenaries won't get too nervous I wouldn't have thought . It's just a very well paid job !

Muck Savage

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on May 07, 2014, 04:37:48 PM
Quote from: Muck Savage on May 07, 2014, 04:25:44 PM
Quote from: supersub on May 07, 2014, 11:27:27 AM
Quote from: Muck Savage on May 06, 2014, 08:33:06 PM
As much as I dislike Liverpool I do feel a bit sorry for Gerrard. He is a genuine club player who has devoted himself to one team instead of chasing money. He drag them to this position a number of times during the year.
I still think Liverpool have been very lucky this year and recently I feared their name was written on it this year ( there is still the possibility). They were lucky against City that Suarez wasn't sent of for diving early on when on a yellow card and lucky the clown Skrtel didn't give up a penalty in the last min when he punched the ball. Then with Norwich, lucky in the last few mins that Norwich didn't score. Their luck was going to run out.
I don't know if they bottled it or not, but for sure the pressure got to them and the supporters helped put this pressure on them even though everyone says they were happy with top 4. You could almost see the pressure rising when the bus arrived before the Chelsea game. Same last night pressure played a big part with all players and manager, no one thinking right. They were right to hurry things up after the 3rd goal as they had momentum but once they conceded one, momentum changed and was time to shut shop.
This chance was a big opportunity missed, no matter what way you want to think. Chelsea & City will get stronger next season, United won't be as bad and even though Liverpool will sign a few players (no guarantee they will all work out) with CL football next season in a tough group, it will be a long road back.

I had forgotten how annoying Liverpool supporters were (AZ!), I remembered them as a bit more gracious 25 years ago but I guess Fergie hurt :)

Luck, yes luck, that's all it has been all year.  ::) Nothing to do with the 3,4,5,6 goals they were scoring in games and ripping opponents apart. There have been a few unlucky incidents throughout the season which would counter your point. The league table doesn't lie and with one game left Liverpool could still be crowned champions (slim but still possible), I cannot fathom how 37/8 game season can be put down to luck.

Well, next season will tell us. Still think they have overachieved this season and have had the rub of the green more than most, not dissimilar to United last year.

On Gerrard, you'll find a lot of United people on here sympathizing with his plight. Just because someone shows hatred towards him doesn't mean their United supporters...

On the opportunity missed, anytime the title is in you hands 3 games out after a long season, it's a missed opportunity. Certainly when you haven't been in this position for a long time. It's a long hard slog back to this position next year so these opportunities need to be taken. Extra players next year and the buzz of CL may get them back here again, but there's no guarantee. Time will tell, maybe there's another twist tonight yet.

On the night Giggs could have played his last game at Old Trafford a sizeable section of the crowd were singing songs about the Liverpool captain. A bit embarrassing really.

Seriously? And all the guff that was sung and spoke about United/Moyes this season? Its part of the game, get the digs in when your rivals are hurting most on the field - thats expected is it not?
No mention of the Chelsea fans singing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5NnE6I75GY

Still crapping it that there's one last twist......

Captain Obvious

Shrewdness

Captain Obvious

Floodgates are open now. Manchester City only need a draw against West Ham to win the title. A league title that Liverpool have left behind them.