The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

I would say Evra's word means little here as Saurez admitted using the word nigerito or what ever. He claims it is not offensive, FA say it is. Case closed.

I may be wrong but I would guess that is what is involved.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on December 21, 2011, 12:06:37 PM
I'm not sure if the FA commented on Evra's evidence in the Chelsea case but as far as I'm aware it was Mike Phelan's evidence that was described as "exaggerated and unreliable".

Evra did not make the claim but yes his evidence was deemed "exaggerated" and therefore unreliable.

deiseach

Quote from: EC Unique on December 21, 2011, 12:28:53 PM
I would say Evra's word means little here as Saurez admitted using the word nigerito or what ever. He claims it is not offensive, FA say it is. Case closed.

I may be wrong but I would guess that is what is involved.

I think you are probably right.

Edit: And that's why LFC are wasting their time appealing. The FA are not going to say that, upon reflection, maybe that word wasn't so bad after all.

GalwayBayBoy

A FEELING of disbelief and anger hangs over Anfield today. Over the past two months Liverpool FC have stood firmly behind Luis Suarez confident that the serious allegations of racist abuse made by Patrice Evra would be thrown out.

Yet the club's worst nightmare came true last night. The Football Association handed out an eight-game ban, coupled with a £40,000 fine, after the independent regulatory commission found him guilty of 'used insulting words' towards Evra including a 'reference to his colour'.

An appeal is certain with Liverpool FC's hard-hitting statement laying bare their fury at not only the outcome but also the way in which this investigation was conducted.

The fact is this was a case of one player's word against another's. Remarkably, the three-man panel decided that Evra was the more reliable witness.

This was the same player who was involved in high profile allegations of racism three years ago following a bust-up with Chelsea groundsman Sam Bethell at Stamford Bridge.

An FA hearing described Evra's account of events that day as "exaggerated and unreliable" and the charge of racism was thrown out.

After the 1-1 draw at Anfield back on October 15 Evra accused Suarez of racially abusing him "more than 10 times" yet no-one inside a crowded penalty area at the Kop End or in the crowd heard anything.

Not one of Evra's team-mates came forward to back up his serious allegations, including goalkeeper David De Gea, who speaks Spanish.

Suarez, for his part, admitted to saying 'why, negro?' to Evra on one occasion after Evra said 'Don't touch me, you South American'.

The word 'negro' is Spanish for black and in his native South America it is not deemed to be offensive. Someone with black hair is often called that without any malice intended.

Brighton boss and fellow Uruguayan Gus Poyet recently explained: "In Uruguay it is a nickname for someone whose skin is darker than the rest. It is not offensive. Such people are part of society.

"We will defend them, go to war with them, share everything with them and at the same time use that word.

Strangely, those linguistic and cultural differences appear to have carried little weight with the commission.

As did the fact that Suarez took time out during the 2010 World Cup in South Africa to attend charitable projects in the townships promoting inclusion for everyone in sport.

As did the fact that prior to his move to Anfield in January this year he was captain of a multi-racial Ajax team.

As did the fact that Suarez comes from a mixed race family background himself as his grandfather is black.

There are fears that the FA have wanted to make an example of Suarez. That they had to be seen to be strong on racism following the governing body's long-running feud with Fifa president Sepp Blatter, who was recently pilloried for suggesting someone who is racially abused during a game should simply shake hands with the perpetrator after the final whistle.

Paul Goulding QC, who chaired the independent commission, even accepted in his opening statement that Suarez wasn't racist. So why come to the conclusion they did?

There is also anger at the way the investigation was conducted.

Suarez was interviewed on just one occasion. He was asked for his version of events and was never shown any video footage.

However, Evra was interviewed on more than one occasion and given video evidence to consider before he submitted his final statement. Why?

Why also has Evra not been charged despite admitting during the course of the investigation that he made foul mouthed comments to Suarez about a member of his family.

With Suarez also facing another FA charge for an alleged offensive gesture made to Fulham fans recently, there are real concerns that a witch hunt is being conducted against Liverpool FC.

For now Liverpool must wait until the commission's written judgement arrives through the post over the coming days. From then they will have 14 days in which to lodge an appeal.

In the meantime Suarez, who described yesterday as 'painful', is available for Liverpool FC to face Wigan at the DW Stadium tonight – but whether he's in the right frame of mind is another matter.

Rouge_Diablo

Where is that from?

The fact is this was a case of one player's word against another's. Remarkably, the three-man panel decided that Evra was the more reliable witness.

Except all reports suggest that Suarez himself admitted using the 'word' as part of his initial response....and if that is the case how the f**k can they still be spouting this line about one players word against the other.?

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Two Hands FFS on December 21, 2011, 11:24:40 AM
I thought Anton Ferdinand wasn't aware of any remarks made by Terry until after the match in the changing room?? Did Terry not come to talk to him after the match? Maybe I'm wrong?

He wasn't. But it shows you the danger of the internet. People hear one thing, say another, and suddenly it's fact.

Re the Terry case. No-one heard him call Ferdinand a 'black ****'. Not even Ferdinand. Ferdinand only became aware of it after the game when Terry was told that there was a lot of chat on Twitter re the video clip, and Terry went to him to clarify.

The context re what Terry claims he said and what Suarez is meant to have said is completely different.

If we believe that Suarez called Evra 'negretto' or 'negro', and he admits that, you can understand why he was found guilty. You may not necessarily agree with it, and I can see how it could be deemed harsh.

If we believe that Terry called Ferdinand '.....black c**t', and no one else heard him say it, and he explains his comment by saying that the full sentence was 'I didn't call you a black c**t' you can understand why he may be found not guilty. You may not necessarily agree with it.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

supersub

Are these people slating Suarez (just because they can) and saying Liverpool fans shouldn't defend him the same ones who defended Rio re his 'drugs test'. If the player played for the club you support you would defend them too, simple as.

Gabriel_Hurl

Keep that Terry shite out of this thread please

Rouge_Diablo

Quote from: supersub on December 21, 2011, 12:42:43 PM
Are these people slating Suarez (just because they can) and saying Liverpool fans shouldn't defend him the same ones who defended Rio re his 'drugs test'. If the player played for the club you support you would defend them too, simple as.

Only if you are simple.

deiseach

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 21, 2011, 12:41:16 PM
Re the Terry case. No-one heard him call Ferdinand a 'black ****'. Not even Ferdinand. Ferdinand only became aware of it after the game when Terry was told that there was a lot of chat on Twitter re the video clip, and Terry went to him to clarify.

Why would Terry say "I didn't call you a f**king black ****" unless someone has asked him "Did you call me a f**king black ****?" ???

supersub

Quote from: Rouge_Diablo on December 21, 2011, 12:45:56 PM
Quote from: supersub on December 21, 2011, 12:42:43 PM

Only if you are simple.

Superb input..

Rouge_Diablo

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 21, 2011, 12:44:04 PM

just one more - rumour has it that e CPS are going to annouce that there is "insufficient evidence" in Terrys case.

Id laugh if only it wasnt so f**king wrong. Played out exactly as I thought it would, passed to the cops and the cops dont do anything so how can the FA.

Rouge_Diablo

Its good to see the players at least have moved on.  ;)

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Rouge_Diablo on December 21, 2011, 12:47:28 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 21, 2011, 12:44:04 PM

just one more - rumour has it that e CPS are going to annouce that there is "insufficient evidence" in Terrys case.

Id laugh if only it wasnt so f**king wrong. Played out exactly as I thought it would, passed to the cops and the cops dont do anything so how can the FA.

Totally agree that the Terry thing should be kept off this thread. However I assume that's more directed to the Liverpool fans that keep saying 'aye but'.

CPS to announce after 1pm apparently. Just because the CPS don't press on doesn't mean anything for the FA charge.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone