The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snoopdog

Quote from: Dag Dog on February 22, 2023, 01:43:11 AM
Another huge comedown for the club that were proclaiming themselves the best team of the Premier League era a couple of years ago.
It means more. ;D

JoG2

Quote from: johnnycool on February 22, 2023, 08:21:11 AM
Quote from: Itchy on February 22, 2023, 06:58:32 AM
Have to say I was shocked at the gulf in class between the two teams last night. Madrid were so powerful and pacy and of course extremely skillful. Liverpool looked so slow and flat. They need a serious rebuilding effort if they are to compete with what they faced last night.

Liverpool are dodgy from corners/set pieces, I said as much after the Newcastle game, zonal or whatever that third goal should have been headed away.

Madrid are something else all the same, Modric and Benzema, different class and with the young guns in there it's theirs to lose...

The main issues are centre midfield and central defence as was clear to be seen last night anytime Madrid turned on the after burners, the parting of the red sea. Midfield is a mixture of tired legs and youth. Defence wise Gomez had a nightmare and VVD hasn't the sharpness back yet.
It's how the players react to this will be key to potentially  pipping a Newcastle etc to 4th spot, then adding to the squad for next year

imtommygunn

The reality with Gomez is that he's just not up to that level.A few other boys have just too many miles on the clock. VVD has covered a few boys over the years in that position but if he's not at his peak then they would get exposed.

jcpen

I don't think VVD has been the same player since Pickford injured him. To be fair to Liverpool last night, despite them making mistakes for at least 3 of the goals I'm not sure many teams would have lived with Madrid last night.
In saying that it did seem to be the end of a  era for Liverpool last night, what a team they were though, they were the best in the world at one point no doubt.
Klopp will be hoping to build again im sure but will he get the required funds?
NEUTRAL
ALSO NOT FROM LAOIS!

Milltown Row2

All joking aside

Liverpool destroyed Newcastle at the weekend, they have more or less all their players available except Diaz who is exceptional player, they will put this behind them and mount a serious push for top 4, top 3 isn't beyond them either as Utd are relying on 3 players at the minute to win and control games, and injury to one will expose them.

Liverpool just got suckered punched last night and momentum was lost, they have 4 league games before meeting Madrid again, they'll have a better look about them before that, the tie is gone I feel but certainly they can finish off the season better than they have started it..

Liking the new lad in the middle, games like that will bring him on, good find again by the Liverpool scouting team
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: jcpen on February 22, 2023, 09:07:10 AM
I don't think VVD has been the same player since Pickford injured him. To be fair to Liverpool last night, despite them making mistakes for at least 3 of the goals I'm not sure many teams would have lived with Madrid last night.
In saying that it did seem to be the end of a  era for Liverpool last night, what a team they were though, they were the best in the world at one point no doubt.

VVD is an interesting one.

There was nothing he did at Soton or Celtic to suggest he was a world class centre half.

Then Scouse bought him for silly money and for the best part of two seasons he was on a different level. So confident and in control.

The VVD on display now is more like the one I'd have expected initially at Liverpool. A good player but not a great one. .

JoG2

Quote from: thewobbler on February 22, 2023, 09:21:32 AM
Quote from: jcpen on February 22, 2023, 09:07:10 AM

VVD is an interesting one.

There was nothing he did at Soton or Celtic to suggest he was a world class centre half.

Then Scouse bought him for silly money and for the best part of two seasons he was on a different level. So confident and in control.

The VVD on display now is more like the one I'd have expected initially at Liverpool. A good player but not a great one. .

The keyboard won't refuse the taps... What a load of absolute waffle

seafoid

I know it's a sad time for Liverpool but it is nice to hear 'Virgil' and 'Jürgen' in a Liverpool accent.

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2023, 09:14:43 AM
All joking aside

Liverpool destroyed Newcastle at the weekend, they have more or less all their players available except Diaz who is exceptional player, they will put this behind them and mount a serious push for top 4, top 3 isn't beyond them either as Utd are relying on 3 players at the minute to win and control games, and injury to one will expose them.

Liverpool just got suckered punched last night and momentum was lost, they have 4 league games before meeting Madrid again, they'll have a better look about them before that, the tie is gone I feel but certainly they can finish off the season better than they have started it..

Liking the new lad in the middle, games like that will bring him on, good find again by the Liverpool scouting team

Did they though?

Yes they won 2-0 blitzing Newcastle early on but Newcastle failed to take some serious chances and Allison was the busier of the two(three) keepers thereafter.
Even against a rank bad Everton, Tarkosky hit the post (which led to the Liverpool goal) and Davis balloons a header well over from 6 yards..
This Liverpool give even poor opponents big chances in games, that was never the case, but give those to a Real Madrid and they put them away.

I don't think Liverpool are anywhere near where they were a few years back, probably stating the obvious there and the longer they continue it looks like this team has peaked unless there's serious defensive and midfield investment.

Armamike

Quote from: seafoid on February 22, 2023, 09:41:30 AM
I know it's a sad time for Liverpool but it is nice to hear 'Virgil' and 'Jürgen' in a Liverpool accent.

You've lost me there Seafoid.
That's just, like your opinion man.

trailer

Another huge comedown for the club that were proclaiming themselves the best team of the Premier League era a couple of years ago.

Completely lost the run of themselves. One Season wonders just like Blackburn.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on February 22, 2023, 10:13:51 AM

You do feel for them- few unbelievable seasons only to be beaten a s point or two by a stere backed, corrupt City team. But then again its Liverpool so we'll just laugh. I think Klopp is gone in the summer.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on February 22, 2023, 10:04:28 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 22, 2023, 09:14:43 AM
All joking aside

Did they though?

Yes they won 2-0 blitzing Newcastle early on but Newcastle failed to take some serious chances and Allison was the busier of the two(three) keepers thereafter.
Even against a rank bad Everton, Tarkosky hit the post (which led to the Liverpool goal) and Davis balloons a header well over from 6 yards..
This Liverpool give even poor opponents big chances in games, that was never the case, but give those to a Real Madrid and they put them away.

I don't think Liverpool are anywhere near where they were a few years back, probably stating the obvious there and the longer they continue it looks like this team has peaked unless there's serious defensive and midfield investment.

Yes Everton are not great but they certainly lift their performances against Liverpool, Newcastle up to that game had comfortably held on to top four with any major hicups in form.

If they lose on Sunday Newcastle will drift off into top 6 and that door is open providing Spurs do a Spurs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Unfortunately everton rarely lift their performance against Liverpool  :(

Liverpool could have scored about 3 more against Newcastle.

Armamike

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 22, 2023, 10:22:48 AM
Quote from: trailer on February 22, 2023, 10:13:51 AM

You do feel for them- few unbelievable seasons only to be beaten a s point or two by a stere backed, corrupt City team. But then again its Liverpool so we'll just laugh. I think Klopp is gone in the summer.

Guys, you may have to get your kicks elsewhere.  Most of the folk here have seen your various incarnations over the years and aren't taking the bait.
That's just, like your opinion man.