The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I was just about to explode at the mention of Big Sam. Ancellotti might be available off Rafa goes there. But before any big manager will come in there, they will need FSG to have a come to Jesus about player signings. Young player development is obviously great, and a pathway to sustainability. However you have to supplement them with expensive experienced top class players. They will have a hell of a job selling that to any manager or big player this year unless they say they are going all in to win now.

Armamike

Shameful.  The last 2 months have been awful. Something has gone very badly wrong and it looks like the players have stopped playing for Rodgers, similar to the way things went for yer man at Spurs.  Up until today i thought Rodgers would get another go at it into next season, but that finish to the season has been so hapless it's hard to see how he can explain this away.  Luis Saurez dragged the team along by his own freakishly high performances - that much seems pretty clear now.  Only a proven, strong manager will have the clout and know-how to attract quality players and in the short term FSG will be under severe pressure to provide the cash for new signings. Longer term though can't see them having the resources to let Liverpool be consistently in the top 4 never mind challenging for the title.  This situation wouldn't have been allowed to happen at any of the big clubs in Spain, Italy or Germany, yet going on for 25 years now Liverpool have been run incompetently.  This all started with David Moores.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Milltown Row2

Said it at the time, they needed two players, another Saurez type player (difficult I know but they had loads of money) and a midfielder, everyone else played well and they could have challenged again.... The moment they bought Southampton players the writing was on the wall!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lecale2

Quote from: laoislad on May 24, 2015, 09:04:40 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 24, 2015, 08:24:10 PM

10 years tomorrow.  Hard to believe we are where we are today.  Sickening in fact.
Great memories. Hard to believe it's 10 years alright.

Isnt this what GNev was talking about? Time to look to the future not the past.

mikehunt

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 24, 2015, 09:28:43 PM
I was just about to explode at the mention of Big Sam. Ancellotti might be available off Rafa goes there. But before any big manager will come in there, they will need FSG to have a come to Jesus about player signings. Young player development is obviously great, and a pathway to sustainability. However you have to supplement them with expensive experienced top class players. They will have a hell of a job selling that to any manager or big player this year unless they say they are going all in to win now.
FSG are getting a lot of slack, a lot of it unjustified.  They have been badly stung twice in the transfer market.  Kenny buying the likes of Carroll, Henderson and Adam, and Rodgers spunking a fortune on mostly dross. You can't blame them for not wanting to spend.  They need to get better advisors though. Their first mistake was Comolli. The transfer committee along with Rodgers have mostly got it horribly wrong. It's been a costly learning curve. Who would have thought it would be this bad so soon after the fun of last season. Funny ol game. A new manager is a must. Ancelotti would be great but he's out of our league I'm afraid.

T Fearon

Don't think even Yosser Hughes would take the job of Liverpool Manager.

Does the transfer committee meet in the Loot Room?

Brendan goes to Boston this week.Ominous

deiseach

Quote from: mouview on May 24, 2015, 09:13:37 PM
Don't judge 'Pool on this performance, acid test is how they would do on a wet Tuesday night away to Stoke.

I feel better already.

laoislad

Quote from: Lecale2 on May 24, 2015, 11:11:48 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 24, 2015, 09:04:40 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 24, 2015, 08:24:10 PM

10 years tomorrow.  Hard to believe we are where we are today.  Sickening in fact.
Great memories. Hard to believe it's 10 years alright.

Isnt this what GNev was talking about? Time to look to the future not the past.
Ah well if Gary Neville said it then we should all listen and obey  ::) 

It's ten years to the day since one of the greatest nights in the clubs history, no harm in remembering  it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

AZOffaly

I was just delighted Crouch got the 6th. Imagine all the memes with people doing the 5 times salute if it stayed 5-1!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 25, 2015, 08:50:11 AM
I was just delighted Crouch got the 6th. Imagine all the memes with people doing the 5 times salute if it stayed 5-1!

And they gave Stevie that goal....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Was delighted yesterday that the season has ended, been the best part of an otherwise forgettable and crap season.

Whatever about Rodgers position, the club needs change in several positions, no point a new man coming in if its the same strategy, same committees and same personnel across the club. Not saying its totally wrong but it needs change.

As far away from the Top 4 as ever as we stand. Bad times.

GJL

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on May 25, 2015, 10:26:24 AM
Was delighted yesterday that the season has ended, been the best part of an otherwise forgettable and crap season.

Whatever about Rodgers position, the club needs change in several positions, no point a new man coming in if its the same strategy, same committees and same personnel across the club. Not saying its totally wrong but it needs change.

As far away from the Top 4 as ever as we stand. Bad times.

I like, and admire, the financially responsible, sustainable approach of buying young lads and developing them.

However, from a competitive standpoint, that has major drawbacks. 1 - You will find it hard to win with that approach, and 2 - You will lose those players when they reach a certain standard if they feel you are not going to win. i.e. you become a selling club.

Liverpool cannot find itself in that position, or else it will take an Oil Sheikh or something else to come in and give them a massive shot in the arm to get it back to competing.

So, what can FSG (with or without Rodgers) do to make sure they can remain financially responsible, while still aiming to compete. The short answer is they have to gamble. They have to spend money they would rather not spend on big name players who can come in and drive the team on from day 1. I believe there is a nucleus of a competitive squad there, but they need to spend money to turn that side into a winning team, and hence make it a more attractive destination for players and managers.

At this point, I cannot see a big manager wanting the job, and there's no point getting rid of Rodgers for a similar figure. The Transfer approach has to be reviewed, and while you need to retain some sort of financial responsibility, they have to accept that if they are serious about actually challenging, they will have to spend big money on big players. I'm not talking about spending 120 million on 8 or 10 squad players, I'm talking about spending 120 million on 2 or 3 top players.

The problem now of course, even if FSG were to accept that, is that what £50m player will come to a team that has just lost Suarez, looks like losing Sterling, and has lost Gerrard. And is in the Europa League. It's certainly going to be a challenge. And to be honest, it's the sort of challenge they really needed to embrace last summer, when they were in the Champions League Spot.

JoG2

Only watched the highlights of El Sixico there. Dear o, a tough watch.

Can't see BR being ousted, another year I'd say to see how he goes.

Player wise, I'd keep big Marty, Sterling, Can, Mignolet, Coutinho and Ibe. The rest I wouldn't lose any sleep over if they were roaded