The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Quote from: NAG1 on July 11, 2014, 01:21:50 PM
Of course it was, should have taken the chance when it was there. Players couldnt hack the pressure and fans lost the run of themselves. When if ever (obv not LS now) are you going to have all of your players playing at or very near to their peak again? Now without the dynamism of LS I dont think Sturridge can repeat the kind of season he had last season again.

BR is in for a test now to see if he can replace him with even a couple of players.

Gee, thanks for the pep talk. Losing one game to the team that finished one place below them cost Liverpool the league last season.  Had Liverpool won the league, it would have involved (all other things being equal) picking up 40 points from their last 42. Only picking up 37 signifies not being able to hack the pressure? And what level of run-not-losing by the fans would have made a difference? It was a missed opportunity, but I'd say it'll be a few years before anyone else keeps Man City and Chelsea out of the top two.

On a more cheerful note, I learned this time last year that you can lose the person who is best at what they do and still expect to do as good as you did previously or even better because . . . oh. On reflection, that isn't a cheerful thought.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Lecale2 on July 11, 2014, 01:09:08 PM
I can't help thinking that last season was a missed opportunity to win the league.  :(

Of course it was, should have taken the chance when it was there. Players couldnt hack the pressure and fans lost the run of themselves. When if ever (obv not LS now) are you going to have all of your players playing at or very near to their peak again? Now without the dynamism of LS I dont think Sturridge can repeat the kind of season he had last season again.

BR is in for a test now to see if he can replace him with even a couple of players.

Ahhh so that's why they lost the league. Those damned fans  ::)

Minder

Good analogy I saw earlier - It was a rocky marriage but the sex was great
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Quote from: Geoff Tipps on July 11, 2014, 02:10:58 PM
I can't help thinking that last season was a missed opportunity to win the league.  :(

Yeah reminds me of the "meltdown" after Rafas "facts rant" before the Stoke game in 2009, a meltdown that saw them drop about 5 points until the end of the season
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bingo

Boycey

Quote from: deiseach on July 11, 2014, 02:02:21 PM

Gee, thanks for the pep talk. Losing one game to the team that finished one place below them cost Liverpool the league last season.  Had Liverpool won the league, it would have involved (all other things being equal) picking up 40 points from their last 42. Only picking up 37 signifies not being able to hack the pressure? And what level of run-not-losing by the fans would have made a difference? It was a missed opportunity, but I'd say it'll be a few years before anyone else keeps Man City and Chelsea out of the top two.

On a more cheerful note, I learned this time last year that you can lose the person who is best at what they do and still expect to do as good as you did previously or even better because . . . oh. On reflection, that isn't a cheerful thought.

Liverpool weren't under any real pressure til the last few weeks of the season because nobody, Liverpool fans included thought they would/could win the league? But when they found themselves in the position they did with three games to go they really should have won the league so did they crack under pressure? Undoubtedly...

Having said that most teams lose one before they win one so it'd be interesting to see how they fare this year especially without their talisman.

deiseach

Quote from: Boycey on July 11, 2014, 02:15:42 PM
Liverpool weren't under any real pressure til the last few weeks of the season because nobody, Liverpool fans included thought they would/could win the league? But when they found themselves in the position they did with three games to go they really should have won the league so did they crack under pressure? Undoubtedly...

Losing one game cost them the title. By that logic, Atletico cracked under the pressure of winning the Champions League.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: deiseach on July 11, 2014, 02:38:02 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 11, 2014, 02:15:42 PM

Losing one game cost them the title. By that logic, Atletico cracked under the pressure of winning the Champions League.

Yeah, they did crack. Got sloppy and never put a man on the post.

ballinaman

Quote from: Minder on July 11, 2014, 02:11:59 PM

Good analogy I saw earlier - It was a rocky marriage but the sex was great
Brilliant.

In fairness to the lad, what a player...absolute nutjob but some of the nutmegs and dribbling and taking defenders on when you would expect a pass was unbelievable.

Messi,Suarez and Neymar....jesus, they may as well go the whole hog and get LeBron while they are at it.

Barcelona have changed their tune in the last few years, huge spending instead of youth and getting involved with the Qatar crowd...still mes que un club but shine taken off the ethos a little bit IMO.

J OGorman

That old one. Not a single fan here or the many I know over through lost the run of themselves. It was a case of watching the run in through one eye hoping for the best. But whatever gets you off down the local ;-)

NAG1

Quote from: J OGorman on July 11, 2014, 02:58:43 PM

That old one. Not a single fan here or the many I know over through lost the run of themselves. It was a case of watching the run in through one eye hoping for the best. But whatever gets you off down the local ;-)

I wasn't referring to the LFC fans on here, it was the legions lining the team bus route on the way into the stadium before the run in matches etc Was a bit OTT and only served to crank the pressure up for the players.

But I'm sure they will be a lot calmer this year  ;)

Walter Cronc

Quote from: NAG1 on July 11, 2014, 03:03:29 PM

I wasn't referring to the LFC fans on here, it was the legions lining the team bus route on the way into the stadium before the run in matches etc Was a bit OTT and only served to crank the pressure up for the players.

Disagree there NAG1. I thought the flags, banners and flares were class.

Geoff Tipps

A few kids waving flags. How is that pressure??
They lost a massive game against Chelsea. That's why they lost the league.

deiseach

So if they had treated the games like normal, Liverpool would have won the league. That is what you are saying.

blewuporstuffed

Alot of chat today about Wilfred Bony.
Looks a good player, but im not sure how he would fit in as a Suarez replacement without changing the way the team is set up
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either