The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: norabeag on February 20, 2012, 10:14:09 PM
Quote from: Bingo on February 20, 2012, 04:50:19 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 20, 2012, 04:12:52 PM
Stoke will be no push over.

We've had 3 handy home FA cup ties to date, so it was always going to happen that we drew a "non push over" at some stage.
Aye but the cup has lost its gloss since all the big boys bar Spurs have gone out. Toss of a coin now between all the minnows.

Next you'll be saying the same thing about the Champions League.

J70

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 20, 2012, 10:48:45 PM

We've had 3 handy home FA cup ties to date, so it was always going to happen that we drew a "non push over" at some stage.
Aye but the cup has lost its gloss since all the big boys bar Spurs have gone out. Toss of a coin now between all the minnows.

I wonder does the year United beat Milwall in the final count?

norabeag

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 20, 2012, 10:48:45 PM

Now I wasnt going to mention that but come to think of it....

From the Bunker

...............Real and Barca are still in it!

GalwayBayBoy

Big Andy the goal machine is feeling better about himself.

QuoteAndy Carroll believes his Liverpool career is finally under way having rediscovered the confidence and contentment that had eluded him following his £35m transfer from Newcastle United 13 months ago.

Liverpool's record signing endured a poor start to life on Merseyside as injury, loss of form and the lack of a sustained run in Kenny Dalglish's team increased scrutiny on the club's decision to make the 23-year-old the most expensive British player in history. Carroll, however, has prospered in recent weeks from the first consistent spell in the team since his arrival from Tyneside and admits his self-belief has been a major factor in the improvement.

The striker, who scored his second goal in three starts and created another for Luis Suárez in Sunday's 6-1 defeat of Brighton & Hove Albion in the fifth round of the FA Cup, said: "I feel like I am doing well and have just started to get going. I am scoring goals and I feel like I am doing well in games now. It's all starting to come together for me. This is the best I've felt since I have been here, without a doubt. I feel fit and confident and I think it is showing in my performances. I'm getting around the pitch more and getting involved. I think it shows that I am happier and more confident. I'm just pleased that things are going right."

Carroll's transformation came at an opportune time for Dalglish, when the Liverpool manager was without the suspended Suárez, and has also enhanced the England international's prospects of starting against Cardiff City in the Carling Cup final on Sunday. The striker responded impressively to Dalglish's challenge to players to secure their Wembley places during the FA Cup meeting with Brighton, as did Stewart Downing, another expensive Liverpool purchase who has received criticism this season. It was also the first time Carroll, Suárez and Steven Gerrard have started a game together for Liverpool since the two forwards joined the club in January 2011.

"It was great and all three of us scored," said Carroll, although his captain's effort was credited as an own goal by Liam Bridcutt. "The whole team played well, we gelled together and we passed it well. We got the goals that we have been lacking. For me it was nice to get one in front of the Kop, it was a great ball from Stewie [Downing]. He picked me out and all I had to do was put it in the back of the net."

Carroll conceded there are no guarantees over who will start on Sunday, when Liverpool will be firm favourites to lift their first trophy since the 2006 FA Cup. "We have got a massive squad and everyone can play a part in it," he said. "We have got such a good team, anyone could come in and play. You have just got to work hard in training. I've never been to a cup final. I'm just hoping we can win it now."

With Liverpool advancing on Wembley on two fronts, Carroll hopes their momentum can be transferred into the Premier League, where Dalglish's team trail Arsenal by four points in the race for the fourth Champions League qualifying berth. He added: "We have been playing well the last couple of weeks and starting to put the performances in. We are starting to get the goals. It's been nice to see Chelsea and Arsenal struggling a bit but we have got to make sure we put the performances in ourselves."

Liverpool's principal owner, John W Henry, the chairman, Tom Werner, and other members of Fenway Sports Group will be present at Wembley for the Carling Cup final. The Liverpool chairman insists he is satisfied with the progress made under Dalglish this season.

Werner said: "We have played brilliantly at times this year, and at other times we haven't been able to be our best, for example, playing to too many draws at home. But I see good and steady progress and our supporters have been fantastic."

He added: "Kenny has said it himself: the quality of our squad has improved since last year. We are just a few points from fourth place in the Premier League and we are the only team in England with the possibility of playing in both the Carling Cup and FA Cup finals."

norabeag

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 20, 2012, 11:56:09 PM
Yeah. I'd say you could count those as big boys along with United & City

From the Bunker

Quote from: norabeag on February 21, 2012, 01:18:19 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 20, 2012, 11:56:09 PM
Yeah. I'd say you could count those as big boys along with United & City

United granted. City may have the money, but with nothing to show but a single FA Cup Trophy in over 40 years, they have a long way to go to be put in with the Big boys!

Bingo

Cup final ahead of the Reds, the big one! Cardiff have to be respected and have nothing to lose but Liverpool should have too much for them. Saying that Wembley and cup finals are great levellers - Birmingham last year, Wimbledon in the past, Coventry etc etc.

Suarez should shine on the big stage of wembley and i'd play Carroll with him. My team would be:

Reina
Johnson Sktrel Agger Enrique
Henderson Gerard Adam
Kuyt Carroll Suarez

Bellamy unlucky not to start but he could well do.

Ticket final arrived this morning, flying out Sunday morning and really looking forward to it.

gawa316

Quote from: Bingo on February 24, 2012, 09:27:02 AM
Cup final ahead of the Reds, the big one! Cardiff have to be respected and have nothing to lose but Liverpool should have too much for them. Saying that Wembley and cup finals are great levellers - Birmingham last year, Wimbledon in the past, Coventry etc etc.

Suarez should shine on the big stage of wembley and i'd play Carroll with him. My team would be:

Reina
Henderson Gerard Adam
Kuyt Carroll Suarez

Ticket final arrived this morning, flying out Sunday morning and really looking forward to it.

Was watching the 2001 Brum final last night, that could almost have been added to your list the way Henchoz was flying into tackles! Remember absolutely shitting myself when Carra stepped up to take a peno, but you'll do well to see a better one.

Onto Sunday and Cardiff will be flying for this, as you said have nothing to lose, so a good start is essential and a wee early goal would be nice.

Team wise I'd make 2 changes bringing Spearing in for Hendo, yes he's not world class but he's the best we have at the minute to sit in that defensive midfield role and break up play. Spearing being in there also frees up Johnson and Enrique to bomb on from the flanks and Gerrard space to join in the attack.

I'd also bring in Bellers for Kuyt. Either way you look at it, it's going to be harsh on either player but I just reckon Bellers will be red hot for this game. Doesn't leave much in the way of game changers on the bench Maxi, Kuyt or Downing though. Can also see the logic in starting Kuyt, cause you know what you get (110%, bad touches, important goals) so maybe let him start and bring Bellers on with 30 to go, to run them ragged. I'm in 2 minds ???

I'll go for this

------------------Reina--------------
Johnson--Skrtel--Agger--Enrique
---------Spearing-Adam-----------
Suarez------Gerrard----Bellers
----------------Carroll-----------

Have a safe one Bingo and hopefully you witness Stevie lifting the cup (finers crossed, touch wood etc).

Geoff Tipps

I'd play the same team as Bingo but have Bellamy in for Kuyt. Think he deserves to start seeing as he has been intrumental in is getting this far - goals against Brighton and City and assists against Chelsea.
I can see why he might start Spearing but we're playing Cardiff not Barca. Lets get on the front foot and go at them from the start.

Bingo

You could make cases for Spearing and Bellamy (who is largely responsible for getting this far). If they did start, I don't think we'd be much weaker from my team in fairness. My fear for spearing is that his head must be down from the United game and their is no hiding place in wembley if your confidence is down. He has shown character in the past, so maybe he'll get the nod.

I can see us starting at 100 miles per hour and try and unsettle Cardiff early, get a lead and force Cardiff out. But things rarely go to plan in finals!

ziggy90

Quote from: gawa316 on February 24, 2012, 09:43:50 AM

Reina
Henderson Gerard Adam
Kuyt Carroll Suarez

Was watching the 2001 Brum final last night, that could almost have been added to your list the way Henchoz was flying into tackles! Remember absolutely shitting myself when Carra stepped up to take a peno, but you'll do well to see a better one.

Onto Sunday and Cardiff will be flying for this, as you said have nothing to lose, so a good start is essential and a wee early goal would be nice.

Team wise I'd make 2 changes bringing Spearing in for Hendo, yes he's not world class but he's the best we have at the minute to sit in that defensive midfield role and break up play. Spearing being in there also frees up Johnson and Enrique to bomb on from the flanks and Gerrard space to join in the attack.

I'd also bring in Bellers for Kuyt. Either way you look at it, it's going to be harsh on either player but I just reckon Bellers will be red hot for this game. Doesn't leave much in the way of game changers on the bench Maxi, Kuyt or Downing though. Can also see the logic in starting Kuyt, cause you know what you get (110%, bad touches, important goals) so maybe let him start and bring Bellers on with 30 to go, to run them ragged. I'm in 2 minds ???

I'll go for this

------------------Reina--------------
Johnson--Skrtel--Agger--Enrique
---------Spearing-Adam-----------
Suarez------Gerrard----Bellers
----------------Carroll-----------

Have a safe one Bingo and hopefully you witness Stevie lifting the cup (finers crossed, touch wood etc).

We were ROBBED, a combination of the brilliance of Liverpool goalie (was it Westerfeld?) and that Bollix Elleray. >:(
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Hound

Reina
Henderson Gerard Adam
Kuyt Carroll Suarez

I'd have enough faith in Kenny to predict with confidence that Kuyt will not start.

It'll either be Downing or Bellamy on the left. Bellamy deserves it for his performances, but I can see him going with Downing on the basis he's just after coming off his best match in a long while - and having Bellamy on the bench leaves us with a gamechanger option.

If Bellamy does start on the left, I think it'd be worth having a bit more insurance in the middle with Spearing (probably in place of Adam).

laoislad

I'd like to see Bellamy start, his performance v City in semi final where only for him we wouldn't be in the Final IMO surely is deserving of a starting place in the final.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Denn Forever

Bit of a conflict for Bellamy though.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...