The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minus15

Lucas' tackling is immense. 2-3 years ago he mistimed so many in dangerous areas and gave away what seemed like needless free kicks. Now he has the highest success rate in the league.

His passing is brilliant too. Rarely gives it away and has the close control and awareness to keep it in tight areas and keep posession. The way he wins free kicks when you think he is crowded out is a skill that Didi Hamann had perfected for Liverpool.

He will be badly missed, perhaps even more so than Gerrard so far this season because he seemed to make the team tick and offered great protection allowing the likes of Johnson and Enrique to attack.

Hopefully he can make a full recovery and pick up next season where he left off.

EC Unique

Quote from: Minus15 on December 01, 2011, 10:17:29 PM
Lucas' tackling is immense. 2-3 years ago he mistimed so many in dangerous areas and gave away what seemed like needless free kicks. Now he has the highest success rate in the league.

His passing is brilliant too. Rarely gives it away and has the close control and awareness to keep it in tight areas and keep posession. The way he wins free kicks when you think he is crowded out is a skill that Didi Hamann had perfected for Liverpool.

He will be badly missed, perhaps even more so than Gerrard so far this season because he seemed to make the team tick and offered great protection allowing the likes of Johnson and Enrique to attack.

Hopefully he can make a full recovery and pick up next season where he left off.

Bit like Fletcher for Utd a couple of seasons ago. he never found his form again :-\

Bingo

Apart from replacing Lucas we really need our strikers to start scoring now more than 1/2 per game and putting ourselves under pressure. Without Lucas we won't be as solid defensiveless and we may end up conceding more, so really need the front players to step up.

gawa316

Quote from: Bingo on December 02, 2011, 10:16:33 AM
Apart from replacing Lucas we really need our strikers to start scoring now more than 1/2 per game and putting ourselves under pressure. Without Lucas we won't be as solid defensiveless and we may end up conceding more, so really need the front players to step up.

true are goals for column is brutal, also be nice for downing and kuyt to start chipping in

blewuporstuffed

Agreed, as good as Suarez has been, liverpool arent scoring enough goals , carrol hasnt got going yet at all and suarez has only got 4 in the PL.

How is conor Coady coming along?would he be an option to fill lucas role in a few games? He played as a defensive mid in a few preseason games
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

brokencrossbar1

The next few games on paper are not too hard so the lose of Lucas may not be as bad as first feared in the short term.  To my mind there may even be some worth in changing formation slightly.

Skertl   Carra    Agger 

Johnson    Henderson    Adam       Enrique

Bellamy    Suarez      Maxi

With Kuyt, Carroll and Downing there are plenty of options on the bench.  I think for the December games this might be worth trying.

Bingo

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 02, 2011, 10:23:10 AM
Agreed, as good as Suarez has been, liverpool arent scoring enough goals , carrol hasnt got going yet at all and suarez has only got 4 in the PL.

How is conor Coady coming along?would he be an option to fill lucas role in a few games? He played as a defensive mid in a few preseason games

I think it would be a huge step up for Coady, he still finding his feet and doing well with the reserves but don't think he be ready yet - by all means put him on bench and throw him in where we can but can't see starting in the Lucas role ahead of Henderson or Spearing as yet. He was a CB in his younger days, so the role could suit but he does alot of forward midfield play now as well.

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2011, 10:30:25 AM
The next few games on paper are not too hard so the lose of Lucas may not be as bad as first feared in the short term.  To my mind there may even be some worth in changing formation slightly.

Skertl   Carra    Agger 

With Kuyt, Carroll and Downing there are plenty of options on the bench.  I think for the December games this might be worth trying.

Our famous last words and downfall  :(

It might happen alright for some games  - he used it at times last year. It would help with bodies behind the ball when we need them but switching to that formation for all games wouldn't be a long term solution and this will be a longer term problem.

Is a purchase in January essential? And who?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on December 02, 2011, 10:50:55 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2011, 10:30:25 AM

Skertl   Carra    Agger 

Our famous last words and downfall  :(

It might happen alright for some games  - he used it at times last year. It would help with bodies behind the ball when we need them but switching to that formation for all games wouldn't be a long term solution and this will be a longer term problem.

Is a purchase in January essential? And who?

I know, I know.  I don't see the club spending any big money on a replacement, what I can see them doing is pulling a Gary Mac type deal from somewhere, it would fit in well with the transfer policy, pull up a short term deal on a free transfer/low transfer fee.  Who would they get, I don't know off the top of my head, but a 30/31 year old on a loan/1 year deal till Lucas gets back would be ideal.  Maybe get Poulsen back ;)

EagleLord

Maybe get Poulsen back Lets not even joke about this bc1... :D

Carmen Stateside

This young Pelosi lad looks the real deal.  Playing left back this morning for the U-18. Had a great first half, not sure on his defending but looks good going forward.
Actually start of the second half he has moved into midfield.
http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/95746/1/watch-liverpool-res-vs-stoke-city-res-(u18).html

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on December 03, 2011, 12:04:39 PM
This young Pelosi lad looks the real deal.  Playing left back this morning for the U-18. Had a great first half, not sure on his defending but looks good going forward.
Actually start of the second half he has moved into midfield.
http://www.firstrowsports.tv/watch/95746/1/watch-liverpool-res-vs-stoke-city-res-(u18).html

He had a great game against Sunderland last week and sent a great ball through for the second goal.

Carmen Stateside

I remember you guys mention him, had heard alot of good reports this side about him.  Good to get a chance to see him play myself.  Typical Stoke team they are playing this morning.  Big and physical and defend in numbers.

laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on December 02, 2011, 10:21:33 AM

true are goals for column is brutal, also be nice for downing and kuyt to start chipping in
I read somewhere during the week that Defoe would consider leaving Spurs in January as he wants to get in England squad for the summer.
I wonder would he be worth getting on a loan deal maybe, Spurs might not be too keen to do business with a rival for top 4 though.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

junior9

When it comes to replacing Lucas, I can only see Kenny playing Spearing in that role.  While I can see the merit in playing 3 at the back with wing backs, I think that would upset the thing a bit too much.  We have a bit of momentum going at the minute so I'd prefer as close to like for like as possible.  If it's not going to be Spearing or Gerrard (which it won't be for now anyway) then a disciplined Henderson is another option.  He settled midfield down against Chelsea in the league when we needed it but he'd need to be disciplined and remember his defensive duties.

On another note, Maxi and Bellamy must start against Fulham.  Pace and an eye for goal has to have them in ahead of Downing and Kuyt.