The Southern "Irish"

Started by rrhf, January 30, 2009, 05:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

I was a kid during most of the troubles and in my twenties when the GFA was signed. Why the f**k should someone like me feel guilty about what happened in the north? I didn't kill or maim or oppress anyone. I supported the peace process and voted, like the vast majority of southerners, for the GFA, leaving the future up to the democratic wishes of the people of the north and approving Irish government involvement and investment up there. What else are we supposed to have done? I feel sympathy for those who grew up in the troubles and would like the government to do whatever it takes to facilitate a peaceful and just future, but I certainly do not feel guilty. I didn't create or escalate the situation.

Hardy

Did you sleep, J70? That's a no-no.

pintsofguinness

Im disappointed in you hardy.  

QuoteI can't resist remarking, though, that the only running away admitted to here recently was by yourself.
ooooh that's a low dig.  Do you think you could take 5ivetimes?

Quote from: J70 on January 31, 2009, 05:15:32 PM
I was a kid during most of the troubles and in my twenties when the GFA was signed. Why the f**k should someone like me feel guilty about what happened in the north? I didn't kill or maim or oppress anyone. I supported the peace process and voted, like the vast majority of southerners, for the GFA, leaving the future up to the democratic wishes of the people of the north and approving Irish government involvement and investment up there. What else are we supposed to have done? I feel sympathy for those who grew up in the troubles and would like the government to do whatever it takes to facilitate a peaceful and just future, but I certainly do not feel guilty. I didn't create or escalate the situation.
Well that's fair enough. I wasnt saying southerners should feel guilty about what happened but about the fact they done nothing. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Minder

Someone once said on here that arguing with Pints was like ice skating uphill,i kinda see what they mean.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

J70

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 05:20:33 PM

Well that's fair enough. I wasnt saying southerners should feel guilty about what happened but about the fact they done nothing. 

I don't feel guilty about what the country did or didn't do either. I understand why someone from the north might be bitter about partition and the subsequent history and I acknowledge that all sides could (obviously!) have done things differently (not sure what you think would have been the correct things to do), but there isn't much I can do about that except support or reject whatever policies and changes over which I have some control (i.e. the current ones) that might improve the situation.

If you think the people of the south are guilty, perhaps you should petition the Irish government for an apology a la Blair's one for the famine.

pintsofguinness

I never said I thought the people of the south were guilty, I think they most of them dont give a shite about anyone but themselves (like a lot of modern societys)

Hardy, come back and give us a hug.

J70

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 05:46:06 PM
I never said I thought the people of the south were guilty, I think they most of them dont give a shite about anyone but themselves (like a lot of modern societys)

I'm sure many, if not most, of the people of the north are exactly the same.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: J70 on January 31, 2009, 05:51:35 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 05:46:06 PM

I'm sure many, if not most, of the people of the north are exactly the same.
I think a lot would be these days, yeah.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 31, 2009, 05:20:33 PM
Im disappointed in you hardy.  

QuoteI can't resist remarking, though, that the only running away admitted to here recently was by yourself.
ooooh that's a low dig.  Do you think you could take 5ivetimes?

What should they have done? Invade the north? Declare total war on Britain? Send food parcels?

pintsofguinness

Ive already answered that question.

Zapatista

Quote from: Hardy on January 31, 2009, 03:33:01 PM
Zapatista is happy to insult us and still expect reasoned debate in return.

I only use it when talking to free staters.

mannix

I was told by a man in new york that my english was very good. He was born and reared in queens.

Puckoon

Quote from: mannix on February 01, 2009, 09:04:18 PM
I was told by a man in new york that my english was very good. He was born and reared in queens.

That's relatively common among the yanks mannix.

magickingdom

Quote from: Zapatista on January 31, 2009, 12:21:07 PM
Quote from: carribbear on January 31, 2009, 04:58:33 AM
I have called many in the 26 counties free-state b**tards and still maintain that opinion. The attitude shown by the majority toward the north was nothing short of ignorant and even to this day they still dont look on the irish of the six counties as being their fellow citizen. Thats what has always annoyed me about it.They were just lucky their land wasnt drawn within a border.

Totally agree with POG on this one - the "i'm alright jack" mentality was always there.

And when you point out to them that Pearse, Casement, Plunkett etc. all lived and died under the same British identity current northerners are labled with (within that border) they get angry and don't want to talk to you anymore. :(

BTW why is there a capital S in the title?

not going to get into this argument too much accept to say that pre EU days there was actually f54k all the irish gov could have done. there was a very tense relationship between the two govs with all the power on the british side. the irish gov had its two hands tied behind its back and had the option of getting constantly put down or shutting up (garret fitz had a 3rd option 'licking up' ;D). thank God those dark days are gone mainly thanks to the EU imo and the two govs are now more like equal partners.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: mannix on February 01, 2009, 09:04:18 PM
That's nothing, my woman went to order in a bar in london and was asked did she speak english!
Ive been asked twice now while here if I spoke english!

Quotenot going to get into this argument too much accept to say that pre EU days there was actually f54k all the irish gov could have done.
They could have got a backbone and opened their f**king mouths!