The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewingedlady

Whoever he is he looks a bit like yossi  :D

brokencrossbar1

AZOffaly

Will Hunting

Didn't he share names with a US President?

AZOffaly

Mentalman

I'd say you could make a team from Rafas signing alone that would challenge any other for sheer crapness. When it comes to being disappointing, even if it wasn't their fault, rather than just plain crap, Liverpool have a lot of those too - Litmanen (an Ajax legend in my eyes), Morientes and Kewell would be three who spring to mind immediately
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

J70

Quote from: Mentalman on April 24, 2008, 06:19:08 PM
I'd say you could make a team from Rafas signing alone that would challenge any other for sheer crapness. When it comes to being disappointing, even if it wasn't their fault, rather than just plain crap, Liverpool have a lot of those too - Litmanen (an Ajax legend in my eyes), Morientes and Kewell would be three who spring to mind immediately

Litmanen did fine in my opinion. The problem was that he didn't fit into Houllier's counter-attacking/long ball philosophy, so he didn't get to play very much.

Mentalman

Quote from: J70 on April 24, 2008, 06:26:23 PM
Quote from: Mentalman on April 24, 2008, 06:19:08 PM

Litmanen did fine in my opinion. The problem was that he didn't fit into Houllier's counter-attacking/long ball philosophy, so he didn't get to play very much.

That's probably why I mentioned it might not be their fault - he was never given enough game time.

Found this on the Liverpool Echo:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2007/11/23/rafa-benitez-s-transfer-history-100252-20150499/

A lot of Rafa's crappiest signings were free, or relatively cheap, so I suppose from his point of view they were worth a punt:

Mauricio Pellegrino Free
Boudewijn Zenden Free
Jan Kromkamp Swop for Josemi
Andriy Voronin Free
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Norf Tyrone

Now don't get all defensive on me here...

There are many things to like about Liverpool FC, even though I'd probably never admit them. However one thing that gets under my skin is the media perception of the supporters. Liverpool fans are portrayed as loveable scallys which I do not understand.

Heysel is the stand out example, but more recentlly Liverpool fans have been over crowding stadiums due to the huge amount of fake tickets with Athens, Arsenal two weeks back both springing to mind. No one, especially Liverpool fans, can appreciate the dangers that this poses.

On Tuesday night it happened again, with the Kop rumoured to be overflowing due to the number of fakes. More sinister is the rumours that a 'Liverpool' fan attacked a Chelsea fan with a paving slap before the game. The fan is believed to have died tonight.

I am not here on the wind, but I am curious to know if the fans on here have experienced examples of this, or is it just isolated incidents? Reading back it's probably a stupid question to ask of a Liverpool fan, but I'll ask it anyway.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

J70

So what are you suggesting/asking?

That Liverpool fans have a greater tendency to generate and buy fake tickets than fans of other clubs? That the scumbags who have been involved in those incidents override the good reputation that Liverpool fans in general have?

I would think that 99% of Liverpool fans would be in favour of sorting out the scumbags among the support in general, and those involved in the ticket scams in particular.

As for the rumours about the Chelsea fan, its horrible that he was killed and I hope they catch and deal with the murderer in the most severe fashion. I'm not sure what else to say about it. I'm certainly not going to apologise for following the club because of the isolated death of a visiting fan, so long as the club do everything in their power to safeguard fans, to assist the police and to act appropriately with people who misbehave.

Heysel is rightly a massive stain on the club's history, but it could have been the supporters of any number of English clubs or the England team that caused such an incident. The fighting and the charges had happened numerous times before that, except that crumbling walls didn't collapse. And before the usual gobshites start, that is not excusing it. It was Liverpool and Juve fans who were rioting, it was the Juve fans who were killed, so the fans involved and the club had to accept the responsibility and pay the price. However, Heysel was the horrible climax to years of hooliganism across the continent by English fans in general. The wall collapsing may have been an isolated and tragic incident, but the rioting between the fans certainly wasn't.

Norf Tyrone

J70 what I am trying to ask, and trying not to offend by saying it as I appreciate the sensitiveness of it all, is probably your first assumption.

Do Liverpool fans have a greater tendency to generate and buy fake tickets than fans of other clubs?

Being honest I never really hear about this being an issue except for Liverpool, and I was wondering is this the case, or is it just magnified because of the resonance from their past. Any time at the Bridge I have never encountered a problem with over crowding, fake tickets etc etc (Add your own punch line).

If it is the case is it not something that fans group should be trying to eradicate or maybe they are?

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

bingobus

Norf, Re the fan killed. Can see nowhere else about it only on Chelsea boards and even there it is rumour and speculation. Would appear he got hit with brick and wnet to hospital, dischraged himself and died yesterday. Bad news and tragic if true, which it very well may be.

Re the overcrowding and scummy element, it would appear to be a big problem at Liverpool away games in European competition. I think United have a similar problem but prob not to the same level. It always seemed to be part and parcel of travelling to Euro games to "bunk" in to games. This would appear to rear its head with a new younger generation out to create their own stories. They get tickets through mates for earlier games of CL and then when the big rounds come up and the tickets dry up they are left outside. They "believe" they have a right a get in and will use fake tickets, double click, cause mayhem at stiles to force their way in. A minority see no wrong in it, others are livid as they can see what will happen if it isn;t cut out.

As for the Kop been overcrowded the other night, I've seen it  onm forums where it was more to do with people moving seats to be with their mates and in the singing sections at the back. As they stood all night, it was easier to do so and left some room on lower.side rows while at the back middle it was more crowded. Some do say that extra did get in but no-one (which is unusual) has admitted getting in by bunking or fake ticket.

Hysel, while a tragedy for which Liverpools part can't be excused, was a disaster waiting to happen. For years English supporters were running riot in Europe and the shameful thing is that Liverpool continued this thread that night. The wall collapsing was a consequence of that. On a side note, the Belgium authorities didn't hold back in their own investigation and several high racking officials including Police chief, the club which owned the ground and stadium manager were fined heavily and received jail sentences for their part in the disaster. Unlike Hillsborough.

AZOffaly

I think some Liverpool fans, especially some of the travelling brigade in Europe, are absolute idiots. I cannot believe that a club which lost 96 supporters in an incident of overcrowding at Hillsborough would continually have incidents of people trying to cause overcrowding at foreign stadia. It beggars belief really.

I think it's a product of the fact that Liverpool always travel in numbers, and many without tickets, because they want to see the Reds play. That, however, is no excuse for causing trouble when you can't get in, or even worse, trying to 'run the turnstiles' as happened at Athens. Absolutely idiotic, and I have no problem saying it as a Liverpool fan.

I can't speak for other clubs, or the reasons why they have the same, or do not have the same, sort of incidents. United have had isolated incidents, but I can't recall many in the way of attempted forced entry or the like, and United travel in big numbers as well.

What I do know is that, while I don't feel it's malicious intent to cause problems, it betrays an ignorance of previous tragic events, as well as a complete disrespect of other fellow Liverpool fans.

Minus15

here's one for you lads
Jean-Michel Ferri

J70

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 25, 2008, 04:56:48 AM

If it is the case is it not something that fans group should be trying to eradicate or maybe they are?

Of course it is something they should be trying to eradicate. What would you expect any fair-minded person to say? And given that it is something that happened in Athens and at Arsenal within the past year, I would expect the responsible authorities to be taking steps to counteract it. Scumbags are scumbags, and I don't know why anyone would expect Liverpool fans not to condemn this behaviour.

What irritates the fcuk out of me is when sanctimonious fans of rival clubs use the actions of a tiny minority to demonize the entire club and its support. If their clubs are so pure or so much better than Liverpool in terms of the behaviour of their support, I'm sure that there are police and FA statistics out there to make the case.