The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

This talk of winning this week is very ambitious, I think it is a matter of not letting 3 or 4 in and having something to play for in Anfield!

J70

WTF is wrong with talking about the importance of nicking an away goal at the Emirates? ???

AZOffaly

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 31, 2008, 12:33:46 PM

Fair is fair me bollox, Wenger was getting castigated here because he shook his head after seeing his player get sent off and his side go two goals down yet once he saw the replay he said his player deserved the red card. Wenger initially saw the tackle in real life had no benefit of an action replay even which only showed how bad the tackle was from certain angles.  The tackled player once treated actually played on so how was Wenger to know how bad the tackle was?

Wenger has a poor reputation based on the fact that he protects his players and never critisies his players in the media.

And he was commended here for his comment. Don't be trying to take offence where none exists. You interpet his head shake as being to do with the way the game was going. Fair enough. I saw it as a head shake when the Bolton player was getting treatment, and inferred that he was implying the Bolton lad made a meal out of it, and Diaby was wronged.

I could be wrong, but i could be right too. But in any case, as I said, fair play to him for his comment afterwards.

QuoteOr are you just trying to stir things before Wednesday night?

Na, I wouldn't normally comment on the delusional thread but I see the delusion is continuing and posters are talking about getting a win at the Emirates. Personally I think it will be a 0-0 at the Emirates, maybe 1-0 to the Arsenal, leaving a very interesting 2nd leg. Liverpool need to play Crouch against Arsenal, the pace of Gallas and Toure will contain Torres but Liverpools long ball game with Crouch in the side will cause Arsenal problems...

I'd be delighted with a win at the Emirates, and it's not beyond the realms of possibility, although Arsenal's great comeback at the weekend will have boosted them. I would still make Arsenal marginal favourites, and would not be happy with a 0-0 or a defeat, because I would fear Arsenal could score at Anfield.

mackers

On Wenger, I would say his post match comments would have been different if they hadn't just performed a miracle and got out of jail. It's easy to be generous in your comments after that. He was clearly annoyed at the sending off at the time which is, of course, hypocritical.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

magpie seanie

Quotecoming out with their usual anti-Wenger bullshit

Jaysus Dinny, red card for you cos that was way over the top! I have great admiration for Wenger but I thought this reaction was no right - especially after some of the stuff that was said about the Birmingham lad after the Eduardo incident. Fair play to him for getting it right afterwards and he is right to protect his players and not criticise them in public. Whatever about myself, AZ is genrally accepted to be a level headed enough chap so I don't think its right to say we were having a gratuitous dig.

Dinny Breen

QuoteJaysus Dinny, red card for you cos that was way over the top

Ok I'll take that back but I'm just getting annoyed that lately everyone seems to be having a pop, for the record Wenger was shaking his head because he thought Diaby was fouled before his reckless challenge...
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

I'll bow to your better knowledge on that. I only caught it on MOTD2 last night where they just showed the challenge.

Mentalman

Police to speak to soccer clubs after derby clashes
Police will today be speaking with Liverpool and Everton football clubs about Sunday's acrimonious derby.

Officers are investigating claims that Blues captain Phil Neville, 31, was spat on and punched by Liverpool fans as he prepared to take a throw-in.

They are also looking at reports that Anfield captain and England international Steven Gerrard, 27, was subjected to hate-filled chants about his daughter.

Cameras clearly captured Neville being abused by several fans in the second half of Liverpool's 1-0 victory.

The match – traditionally one of Europe's most passionate derbies – had been billed as vital in both clubs' race for the Premiership's fourth place – and a money-spinning Champions League position.

Players are usually subjected to chants from opposition fans but Sunday's match was allegedly worse, with the police being called in.

As Neville, whose brother Gary still plays for Manchester United, steadied himself to take a throw-in, fans could be seen just inches away screaming down his neck.

And Gerrard faced a torrent of abuse as he walked to take a corner in front of Toffees fans in the second half.

Today, a spokesman for Merseyside Police said: "Police will be speaking to the clubs involved today."

Dave Lewis, the force's football liaison officer, who travels abroad with the teams when they play in Europe, will conduct the discussions.

Today, Everton spokesman Ian Ross said: "We felt it necessary to try to involve the safety officers and police because we cannot have a situation where supporters are having physical contact with professional footballers during the game.

"We want to make sure that doesn't happen again at the Merseyside derby or any other game."

Responding to reports that Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said he was "very disappointed" by the attack on Gerrard, he added: "Whilst we would never condone the singling out of individual players for vitriolic insults, it is a shame that Mr Benitez chose to ignore the actions of his own club's supporters.

"Not only was Joleon Lescott subjected to an afternoon-long barrage of quite disgusting and quite audible abuse, Phil Neville was seemingly spat at several times and was also punched in the back by a supporter as he took a throw-in.

"We have asked Merseyside Police and our safety officer to look into the matter.

"In calling for Everton supporters to respect his players, Mr Benitez should, perhaps, remember his comments of 12 months ago when he sought to belittle one of world sport's oldest and most respected institutions by describing us as a 'small club'.

"Respect is a two-way street."

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/mhojojojqlkf/
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

full back

"Officers are investigating claims that Blues captain Phil Neville, 31, was spat on and punched by Liverpool fans as he prepared to take a throw-in."

::)

supersarsfields

Surely if he was taking a throw in then it would be pretty easy to prove as the camera would have been on him? If so it should also be easy enough to identify whoever it was that was doing it in the crowd.

full back

Quote from: supersarsfields on April 01, 2008, 01:17:54 PM
Surely if he was taking a throw in then it would be pretty easy to prove as the camera would have been on him? If so it should also be easy enough to identify whoever it was that was doing it in the crowd.

Hard to tell inbreds apart ss ;)

J70

Quote from: supersarsfields on April 01, 2008, 01:17:54 PM

Yep, identify the pricks and ban them for life.

supersarsfields

Seriously surely this would have been caught on camera if someone had actually punched neville. I'd find it hard to believe that there wouldn't have been a bigger issue made about it at the time by either a commentator or some of the security around the pitch. Course as J70 says if there is footage then the person should be banned for life and done for assault.
The spitting would obviously be alot harder to catch on video.

AZOffaly

I saw him getting dogs abuse alright at one stage, but I have to say I didn't see him getting spat on, or reacting to getting spat on. If he was spat on, and didn't react, then fair play to him.

corn02

Punched on the back or patted on the back?

Slagging Gerrards daughter is a bit much to be fair. There is a line that can be crossed and Liverpool have done it to players, but I doubt they have slagged a players daughter.