The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

AZ 4-2-3-1 is the accpeted formation ;D

Great performance and when you look at Torresand owen on the same pitch you can see how the right decision was made!

The next 2 weeks are so vital and could seriously open things up again.  Liverpool will not win the League, but a win against Arsenal will put them 7 points off top spot(8 if Manure win their game in hand.)  It si too late in the season but if Liverpool were to finish out the season and be within 7-8 point sof the winners I think it could be accepted that there has been progress, and only for that shocking run they would actually be top now.

Good news is that Masch is on the plane to Milan and available for selection ;D

AZOffaly

I still call it 4-5-1 because it's exactly what I meant :) 2 proper midfielders, Alonso and Mascherano ideally, 2 wide players and Gerrard playing as a midfielder, but without the responsibilities of marking anyone.

Anyway, it seems to be working :D

tintin25

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 10, 2008, 11:00:56 AM

Great performance and when you look at Torresand owen on the same pitch you can see how the right decision was made!

The next 2 weeks are so vital and could seriously open things up again.  Liverpool will not win the League, but a win against Arsenal will put them 7 points off top spot(8 if Manure win their game in hand.)  It si too late in the season but if Liverpool were to finish out the season and be within 7-8 point sof the winners I think it could be accepted that there has been progress, and only for that shocking run they would actually be top now.

Aye, only 'if's' and 'buts' were Liverpool are concerned. They haven't been good enough to mount a title challenge this season....simple as.

stevo-08

Quote from: tintin25 on March 10, 2008, 11:20:12 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 10, 2008, 11:00:56 AM

Aye, only 'if's' and 'buts' were Liverpool are concerned. They haven't been good enough to mount a title challenge this season....simple as.

funny but i dont see any "ifs" or "buts" in the section you highlighted above.  :P :P

But i do agree that liverpool havent been anywhere near good enough (or consistent enough) to mount a serious title challenge. The frustrating thing is that it always seems to be 1 run of games where there's a serious dip in form which effectively ends the season. and this season it was the 5 games in january, when we got 4pts from 5 games. Even more frustrating when you consider that it was against Man City, Wigan, Middlesborough, Villa & West Ham.

AZOffaly

I think it's consistency, both of selection (Rafa) and performance (players) that is the issue, rather than quality. I think a formation like they have now, with
Reina, Finnan, Carragher/Hypia/Skrtel/Agger, Riise, Benayoun/Pennant, Mascherano, Alonso, Gerrard, Babel/Kewell, Torres/Kuyt/Crouch has the ability to be a lot more competitive, albeit a player or two short, creatively, of actually winning the title.

But to flog the horse some more, it's being consistently inconsistent that's killing them.

GalwayBayBoy

Certainly some of the bad results especially at home look even worse now as those points would have us right in the mix now. Draws at home to Birmingham and Wigan. Draw at home to Villa after leading twice. Losing to last minute penalty at West Ham.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 10, 2008, 09:56:59 AM
Finish the job against Inter tomorrow night (far from guaranteed) and it'll have been a very good fortnight.
There is a lot of talk about it being "game over" already, but if Inter get the first goal, no matter when it comes - then it really will be game on.

Looks like Mascherano is available which will be a big boost.

The weakest part of Inter's team is likely to be their defence, so need to ensure we play properly when in possession.

AZOffaly

Anyone see Lucas' dive on Saturday? Embarrassing.

Billys Boots

QuoteGerrard playing as a midfielder, but without the responsibilities of marking anyone.

If someone can now explain to him that the easiest pass is not necessarily the worst pass, then ye'll be on the pigs back.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

Look what the cat dragged in!  Boots you're just jealous :P

AZ was it as bad as some of Gerards in the past?

AZOffaly

You've heard of mistimed tackles? This was a mistimed dive. The newcastle lad was coming over sort of side to side, and Lucas thought he was moving quicker than he was (hardly surprising for a newcastle defender). He went over as if he was shoved in the back, but sort of ended up falling on your man's thigh as he arrived.

brokencrossbar1

I do that sometimes, but I am fat and past it :D

AZOffaly

Me too, but mines not a dive, it's a fall from exhaustion.

magpie seanie

QuoteGerrard when on form is one of the best midfielders in the world

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! You're a gas man! Not even the best midfielder in his club. Hairy forehead is good at what he does but that isn't being a midfielder.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...