The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisowc

Quote from: mackers on January 03, 2008, 02:42:03 PM
Minder, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're on a loser here, Finnan is one of the more consistent performers and indeed, with all the talk of the rotation policy, he was one of the few players not to be rotated up to his injury.
Chrisowc, I would gladly sacrifice the players you have listed to keep Mascherano!
One phrase sums up Momo for me, "his second touch is always a tackle".

I wasn't saying these players should stay in the long run.  These clowns won't back the manager and are constantly under-mining him in the press.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

supersarsfields

At the start of this season I really felt that we would have a squad that could challenge for the title. It was the first time I felt that in a long time. That's why this years f*ck ups seem to be worse than any other year. I had actually allowed myself to hope that come April and May we would still be in with a fighting chance. How wrong I was. Patience is running a bit thin with Rafa. I have no doubt that he has an eye for a player and can organise his defence well. What is getting me now is this reluctance to make changes in a match. Last nite I made two predictions based on the team that we had out. I said we'd draw the game and Crouch would come on after 80 mins.
I just don't understand why he didn't play two strikers, especially at home to wigan. Crouch should have started. He has been treated poorly by Rafa and I would not blame him for wanting away. And my opinion is that he would be a loss for Liverpool.
We were chatting at half time who should have been taken of. And we had a list of about 5 players who were so poor. Finnan had a poor game, Kewell and Pennant did not do enough, Alonso and Mache gave alot of easy balls away. It could have been a real toss up for who should come of. But the changes didn't happen. I think it was near the 70 min when Kewell came of.
My opinion is that Rafa is lacking balls. I think he is that scared of lossing either Alonso, Masche or Gerrard that he is trying to get a formation that will suit all three. Indeed there may be games were all three were needed but it is most certainly not against Wigan at home and with just one striker up front!!
For me the wide men are poor. I know Babel was bought to try to add speed to our attack but he's no Ronaldo. There needs to be a serious look at this. In jan I would try to ship out Kewell and Sissoko for definite. And if a half decent offer came in for either Riise, Pennant, Benny, Vorinion they happy days. Even Kuyt if a suitable offer came in. I would however hold on to Crouch.
I know this sounds harsh on some of the players especially Riise and Benny who have looked ok for the most parts. But we need someone who would be an automatic starter on the wing and will put in big preformances more times than not. Babel may come good. He's young and looks like he might settle well enough. Hasn't had the impact I was hoping for but it might come yet.
Other than that, it's down now to hoping for the CL again. And if Rafa fecks that up then I don't think he'll be there come august.

Minder

SuperSarfields......Cant take issue with any of that. Babel is worth persevering with, he is young. Players like Riise, Kewell have been there long enough and are not good enough. Voronin never was and never will be good enough.Benayoun has been ok in patches but would he get on for United, Arsenal or Chelsea? We all know the answer. I used to be a huge fan of enitez but have to say that is wavering at the minute.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Real Laoislad

Can't understand criticism towards Finnan.He along with Carragher and Renia have been the most consistent Liverpool players over the last few seasons..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

supersarsfields

LL I was only critical of him in the Wigan match. I agree he's been very good over the last couple of seasons. But he is hitting 32 this year. And a replacement is needed. Over all I don't have that big problems with the defence. It's the wings that need a good overhaul.

The Real Laoislad

Took this off a LFC Forum so don't shoot the messenager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
liverpoolfc discussion forums

Real Madrid are ready to discuss a sensational swap deal with Liverpool over the sale of former Manchester United fullback Gabriel Heinze.

The People says Real want to talk to the Merseysiders about a deal to take Spaniard Xabi Alonso home and will use former Manchester United left-back Heinze or striker Julio Baptista - or both - as bait.

Rafa Benitez has tracked Argentina defender Heinze since it became apparent he wanted out of United in the summer.

Heinze alone would not be enough for Benitez to do business, but the addition of Baptista would tempt him.

Baptista, who spent last season on loan at Arsenal, has just reclaimed his spot in the Real starting line-up and scored a wonder goal against archrivals Barcelona last week.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

Baptista looked like a heap of shite more often than not last year( other than the time he scored 4 in Rumbelows Cup against us), he hasnt really impressed since he was at Sevilla. Heinze's best days are probably behind him. Alonso may need a change of scenery though.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Minder on January 03, 2008, 11:10:05 PM
Baptista looked like a heap of shite more often than not last year( other than the time he scored 4 in Rumbelows Cup against us), he hasnt really impressed since he was at Sevilla. Heinze's best days are probably behind him. Alonso may need a change of scenery though.

Rumbelows Cup  :D Long time since i heard that..I still call it the Littlewoods Cup  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gabriel_Hurl

Hearing rumours about Ezequiel Garay (Argentine centre-back) plays for Racing Santander has agreed terms for a 5 years deal with Liverpool late tonight - 8 million quid fee

Minder

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 04, 2008, 03:08:24 AM
Hearing rumours about Ezequiel Garay (Argentine centre-back) plays for Racing Santander has agreed terms for a 5 years deal with Liverpool late tonight - 8 million quid fee

Source? He is supposed to be good though.

GalwayBayBoy

Mourinho 'keen on Benitez's job'

Duncan Castles
Sunday January 6, 2008
The Observer

Jose Mourinho is growing increasingly restless in his search for a return to management and, after possible openings at Real Madrid and Barcelona failed to materialise, is monitoring the position of Rafa Benitez at Liverpool. If the Spaniard pays the price for failing to keep the Reds in serious contention for the Premier League title, then the former Chelsea boss would be interested in talking to the club's American owners.
There has been no approach to Mourinho by the Americans, but Hicks and Gillett are understood to be actively considering replacement managers and are well aware of the abilities of the Portuguese, who discussed becoming Liverpool manager before joining Chelsea in 2004. Asked last night to comment on the pair's interest in employing Mourinho, Hicks declined.

Mourinho's family were keen to live in London again when he was considering becoming England coach, although they do not hold the same enthusiasm about the wetter, colder and (in their view) less cosmopolitan North-West. 'Liverpool is not the same as London,' said a friend. 'But Liverpool is a big club and Jose loves English football. For now we have to wait.'
Mourinho had received indications that Real Madrid or, more likely, Barcelona would move for him during the Spanish league's winter break, but has been disappointed by Barcelona's continued faith in Frank Rijkaard and Bernd Schuster is still in place at Real. Mourinho has dismissed reports that he has agreed to take over from Carlo Ancelotti at AC Milan next season, issuing a strongly worded formal denial. He believes Milan will stick to their policy of appointing former players.

Mourinho would be interested in an approach from Bayern Munich, who are set to replace Ottmar Hitzfeld at the end of the season, and club president Franz Beckenbauer wrote in a recent newspaper column: 'Mourinho, why not? Our club needs a big name.' Mourinho's camp has interpreted these words as a clear statement of intent. However, the Portuguese would prefer a return to England and reports he is learning German are untrue.

Mourinho came close to accepting the England job in December, despite long-held plans not to move into international management until the latter stages of his career. At the time, Mourinho's assistants were so confident that he would take the post, ultimately filled by Fabio Capello, that they talked openly of being back in London by January and discussing where they would live.

There were several reasons for Mourinho's late change of plan. Senior FA figures are understood to have held reservations about his radical plans for creating a 'Club England' national team. The Portuguese wanted unprecedented control over support structures and involvement in the training regimes of Premier League clubs. Mourinho was also concerned about media intrusion into his private life, discussing this with the FA before withdrawing his candidacy. Though still an issue, it would not be such a great concern if he took the less public position of club manager.

Berti Vogts has admitted that his future as Nigeria coach is in doubt just two weeks before the start of the African Nations Cup. Vogts said delays in salary payments were making him consider quitting 12 months into his four-year contract. 'I love Africa, but I don't know how long I can put up with these problems,' the German said.

Carmen Stateside

The Liverpool team in full: Itandje, Finnan, Riise, Carragher, Hyypia, Lucas, Alonso, Benayoun, Babel, Crouch, Kuyt. Subs: Martin, Hobbs, Mascherano, El Zhar, Voronin.

Carmen Stateside

Minder

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on January 06, 2008, 05:20:03 PM
Poor stuff so far :(

That is being generous........Rafa may not get until the summer

J70

At least they're 1-0 now, even if Luton did gift them the goal against the run of play.

Don't really give a toss to be honest though. The cups don't mean shit if we don't see an improvement in the league.