Sigerson Cup 2009

Started by Our Nail Loney, January 28, 2009, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Off The Fence

They got totally outplayed! They were second best all over the pitch.  Poly laid down their marker from the start with a well worked point from Tomas McCann.  From the Keeper out they were well organised and disciplined.  Big Adrian had his homework well done.  Long high balls into Cavanagh who tortured the Queens defence.  Standing beside a load of old men and they all agreed with me and I think for anyone at the Dub today that Darren Hughes (??) UUJ number 6 was the man of the match,  Dictated everything UUJ done and cleaned everything up around the middle.

They just could go on and with it with performances like that although alot more football to be played!

charlie stubbs

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 04:39:42 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on February 04, 2009, 04:18:01 PM
Quote from: YogiBear on February 04, 2009, 04:15:02 PM
Before the game today all the talk on this board and elsewhere was off a certain red headed midfielder who was a star of the future.  Well despite his greatest efforts him or his teammates could not contain another ginger genius who ran the show who goes by the name a Packie Downey - in the words of Andy Gray take a bow my son.

Always found him over rated.  Did he do the business today? Fair play to him.

Packie has always been a bit of an enigma.  Did he not, nearly singlehandly help UUJ get to the final (or possibly the Sigerson semi final) a few years back but didn't get a run in the final at all?

Also, Ross Carr had him on the Down senior panel but Pete Mc Grath didn't think he was good enough for the U.21's - strange

there was a fal out between him anfd mcgrath.he then asked him back on the thursday before ulster final.

surprise win by poly,qub over confident i imagine coz looked stronger on paper.  wonder why courtney never started thought he was the captain??

clarshack

Quote from: mattockranger on February 04, 2009, 06:09:00 PM

who is theGoalie and  two corner backs on the jordanstown back line that played so well?

all tyrone men. goalie is Greg Kelly from stewartstown, corner backs are aidan gervin (rock) and gareth haughey (drumragh).

DownFanatic

Game took me by suprise. Totally expected Queens to win. I think most of us overlooked the fact that Jordanstown actually have a wealth of talent throughout their squad while Queens seem to be based more around their bigger name players.

Jtown spoilt Queens in the middle third. There tended to be three men jumping with every Queens player. This totally frustrated the Queens engine room and this was highly evident by their aggressiveness even before half time.

Darren Hughes was immense at centre half back. Your boy Mulholland was handy enough on the wing as well. I thought the Jtown full back line was very good. Snowy O'Neill and Kielt just couldnt get any change out of them.

Spectators probably would of thought that Downey and Colgan had good games in the middle of the park. However, on closer examination, it was the crowding out of the midfield area by the Poly wing backs and wing forwards that destroyed the Queens middle two. Colgan and Downey did very little in terms of garnering possession although Downey did impress me with his passing.

Niall McKeever and Colm Cavanagh were the star turns in the Poly forward line. Would of like to have seen more from McCann and Forker. Mulgrew again flatters to deceive. Your young fella Hughes did well when he came on.

In all honesty and this isnt some jingoistic Dundrum view but if Paul McComiskey had of been fit for this game and had of had a bit of match practice this past few weeks, I think he may have swayed the match considerably towards Queens favour.

Estimator

Just watched the report of the game on the BBC website, first thing that they show and talk about - the fight! :-\
Ulster League Champions 2009

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: DownFanatic on February 04, 2009, 08:03:12 PM
Game took me by suprise. Totally expected Queens to win. I think most of us overlooked the fact that Jordanstown actually have a wealth of talent throughout their squad while Queens seem to be based more around their bigger name players.

Jtown spoilt Queens in the middle third. There tended to be three men jumping with every Queens player. This totally frustrated the Queens engine room and this was highly evident by their aggressiveness even before half time.

Darren Hughes was immense at centre half back. Your boy Mulholland was handy enough on the wing as well. I thought the Jtown full back line was very good. Snowy O'Neill and Kielt just couldnt get any change out of them.

Spectators probably would of thought that Downey and Colgan had good games in the middle of the park. However, on closer examination, it was the crowding out of the midfield area by the Poly wing backs and wing forwards that destroyed the Queens middle two. Colgan and Downey did very little in terms of garnering possession although Downey did impress me with his passing.

Niall McKeever and Colm Cavanagh were the star turns in the Poly forward line. Would of like to have seen more from McCann and Forker. Mulgrew again flatters to deceive. Your young fella Hughes did well when he came on.

In all honesty and this isnt some jingoistic Dundrum view but if Paul McComiskey had of been fit for this game and had of had a bit of match practice this past few weeks, I think he may have swayed the match considerably towards Queens favour.

Ramie Mulgrew had a very good game today. his intelligent playmaking made the majority of uujs scores. Colgan was on the ball much more than Vernon, who cleaned our senior midfield two weeks ago. was disapointed not to see Joe Ireland getting a run today. yes McComiskey was a massive loss to QUB but UUJ had no Damian McCaul who probably would have been detailed to mark the Dundrum tallisman.

Rav67

Quote from: charlie stubbs on February 04, 2009, 07:30:02 PM
Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 04:39:42 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on February 04, 2009, 04:18:01 PM
Quote from: YogiBear on February 04, 2009, 04:15:02 PM
Before the game today all the talk on this board and elsewhere was off a certain red headed midfielder who was a star of the future.  Well despite his greatest efforts him or his teammates could not contain another ginger genius who ran the show who goes by the name a Packie Downey - in the words of Andy Gray take a bow my son.

Always found him over rated.  Did he do the business today? Fair play to him.

Packie has always been a bit of an enigma.  Did he not, nearly singlehandly help UUJ get to the final (or possibly the Sigerson semi final) a few years back but didn't get a run in the final at all?

Also, Ross Carr had him on the Down senior panel but Pete Mc Grath didn't think he was good enough for the U.21's - strange

there was a fal out between him anfd mcgrath.he then asked him back on the thursday before ulster final.

surprise win by poly,qub over confident i imagine coz looked stronger on paper.  wonder why courtney never started thought he was the captain??

Was the fall out after some prank phonecalls/ text messages charlie or am I thinking of someone else?!

mountainboii

Quote from: Estimator on February 04, 2009, 09:03:19 PM
Just watched the report of the game on the BBC website, first thing that they show and talk about - the fight! :-\

Aye saw that, showed more fights than scores. Austy also lead with 'there were 4 players sent off...', is that even true? I thought people here said only 3 got the line?

fred the red

Quote from: AFS on February 04, 2009, 09:23:13 PM
Quote from: Estimator on February 04, 2009, 09:03:19 PM

Aye saw that, showed more fights than scores. Austy also lead with 'there were 4 players sent off...', is that even true? I thought people here said only 3 got the line?

Think there was four. Typical BBC, if there was no sending offs, im sure they wouldnt have mentioned the game!

Tommy Tight Lips

prob not the same quality as last years game but still a fairly exciting game with a bit of everything and the poly convincing winners.courtney never started due to a hamstring strain as far as i know,he had a late fitness test.wasnt great when he came on.
mcguckin obviously had his homework done on queens,crowded midfield not allowing vernon any time on the ball or opportunities to go on any surging runs with the balls.they got numbers back well when defending and darren hughes was brilliant,played a deep role in front of full back line quite often and cut out a lot of ball.2 corner backs,girvan and i thought it was mcdermott from errigal and not haughey but i could be wrong were good,2 players i havent heard much of.
kernan handled kielt well,im of the firm opinion kielt has a yellow streak in him but again maybe i wrong!

cavanagh was brilliant in first half,queens defence looked dodgy under the early high balls.mulgrew and donnelly played rite and well too.packie downey and colgan were very good around the middle doing a lot of dirty work,the 2 of them seem to have got themselves in great shape,perhaps out to prove a point to ross carr!sean leo and tomas mccann had a great battle throughout the game,sean leo probably shading it.vernon tried hard throughtout the game but cudnt get into it.joe okane was doing ritely till he got the line.justin crozier looked a bigger threat than snowy oneill when he went to full forward.

whether it was tiredness from the mckenna cup or complacency,queens didnt get going.then again they beat 2 poor teams in the group antrim and cavan and lost to armagh so maybe the media read more into their games against down and donegal than they shud have.the poly will fancy themselves to go all the way now but if they were to meet st marys in the next round it will be they who will be set up for the big fall!!be interesting if kernan and kyle carragher are part of the poly set up next day out,wonder when cross semi final is??

David McKeown

No there were 4 sent off the day 3 straight reds and UUJ player for two bookings.  From what I saw of the Courtney incident it looked like a shambolic decision as he was running out with the ball and the UUJ player seemed to run into him as he was turning.  It was certainly no worse a tackle than the one from the second UUJ player to be sent off and it only got a second yellow.  On that and I hate to go back to the referee but his application of the rules today was far from consistent and that was what to me made him a poor referee and probably led to him to loosing control of the game. At one stage he ticked a fella for kicking out after he had been pushed over the sideline. That said fair play to UUJ they were excellent all over the pitch and fairly deserving of their win.  As for why Courtney didnt start I believe he had a hamstring injury, at least that was the talk in Wexford on Sunday.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

laoisgaa

QuoteAusty also lead with 'there were 4 players sent off...',

Are you sure that it was Austin that gave the report - it doesnt sound like him

QuoteTypical BBC, if there was no sending offs, im sure they wouldnt have mentioned the game!

In fairness to the BBC it's not their fault that players were sent off - anyhow they always give Queens-UUJ and the Sigerson Cup decent enough coverage - at least 2-3 mins on Newsline every time they play - or there is a big game in Ulster - they may send a camera/reporter to the St. Mary's game next week.

Off The Fence

Quote from: David McKeown on February 04, 2009, 11:57:01 PM
No there were 4 sent off the day 3 straight reds and UUJ player for two bookings.  From what I saw of the Courtney incident it looked like a shambolic decision as he was running out with the ball and the UUJ player seemed to run into him as he was turning.  It was certainly no worse a tackle than the one from the second UUJ player to be sent off and it only got a second yellow.  On that and I hate to go back to the referee but his application of the rules today was far from consistent and that was what to me made him a poor referee and probably led to him to loosing control of the game. At one stage he ticked a fella for kicking out after he had been pushed over the sideline. That said fair play to UUJ they were excellent all over the pitch and fairly deserving of their win.  As for why Courtney didnt start I believe he had a hamstring injury, at least that was the talk in Wexford on Sunday.

Thats Paudie for you though,  Wants to be centre stage in everything and answering both players and manners back in a way which doesnt do him any favours(only way of putting it nicely)  Strutting round the field thinking he is the man

That been said, there must be serious serious  ass licking done for a joke(again put nicely) to get games like that!

Carbery

Looks like the Queens manager may be in trouble as regards the comments he allegedly made to reporters after the game and which appear in some of this morning's newspapers.

nrico2006

How good is Gareth Haughey now?  I remember seeing his at full back for CBS a few years ago but haven't seen him since.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'