Sigerson Cup 2009

Started by Our Nail Loney, January 28, 2009, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Another year another competition, hope this one isn't as controversial as last years, justifiably after their showing in the McKenna Cup, QUB go in as favourites...

ULSTER BANK SIGERSON CUP 2009
ALL MATCHES AT 2.00pm UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED - [E.T. if necessary]

Round 1 - 28.01.09
(St Mary's, BMC, IT Carlow, DKIT, UL, IT Tralee, AIT, GMIT, NUIM)

A: IT Tralee v Athlone IT
B: St Mary's Belfast v Carlow IT
C: NUI Maynooth v University of Limerick
D: BMC v Dundalk IT
E: GMIT Bye

Round 2 - 04.02.09

UCD v Maynooth or Limerick
Queen's v UUJ
Belfast MC or Dundalk v Garda College
DIT v Tralee or Athlone
GMIT v UCC
IT Sligo v Dublin City University

Paddy Power Odds:

QUB 5-2
DCU 4-1
Gardai 4-1
Poly 5-1
UCC 8-1
NUIG 10-1
St Marys 12-1
DIT 14-1
Cork IT 16-1
UL 18-1
UCD 20-1
Sligo IT 25-1
GMIT 25-1
Carlow IT 33-1
IT Tralee 50-1
Athlone IT 80-1
NUI Maynooth 80-1
Dundalk IT 80-1

Our Nail Loney

St Mary's College and Belfast Metropolitan College are both in Ulster Bank Sigerson Cup action in Belfast on Wednesday (1400 GMT).

Belfast Met will face Dundalk IT at St Paul's ground on the Shaw's Road while Paddy Tally's St Mary's team take on Carlow IT at St Agnes'

St Mary's will be strong favourites to advance to a second-round meeting next week with NUI Galway.

Belfast Met are hoping to earn a second-round clash with Garda College.

St Mary's should go into the varsity championship in good heart after producing impressive displays in their final two Gaelic Life McKenna Cup games.

The Ranch defeated Monaghan at Emyvale and were then edged out by only a point by Tyrone at Healy Park.

St Gall's youngster CJ McGourty has been in tremendous form for Mary's in recent weeks, having struck the decisive goal against Monaghan and then tallied 2-5 against the All-Ireland champions.

But while McGourty is a key player for Mary's, the Falls Road outfit have talent all over the pitch.

The squad includes Tyrone All-Ireland winner Justin McMahon, and Dromore's Sean O'Neill, who has been called up by Mickey Harte for Saturday's opening Allianz NFL game against Dublin.

Fermanagh talent Brian Og Maguire, Armagh player Paul Keenan, Antrim panelist Kevin Niblock and Derry player Barry McGoldrick are also part of the Ranch squad.

The two Belfast games are among five first-round ties taking place on Wednesday.

Second-round games on 4 February include the heavyweight battle of Queen's and UUJ which will take place at Dub (1400).

The GAA

A few odd things in those odds.

Did DCU not beat queens out the gate in the ryan cup quarter final?

The guards won the ryan cup at a canter, including beating DCU out the gate?

Hosts CIT would be the value~?

drici

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 28, 2009, 10:29:22 AM

Belfast Met will face Dundalk IT at St Agnes' while Paddy Tally's St Mary's team take on Carlow IT at the St Paul's ground on the Shaw's Road.

Stop mixing the pitches up for matches and causing people to go to the wrong one.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: The GAA on January 28, 2009, 10:33:57 AM

The odds the last few years for these things seem to rely heavily on the January competitions, the Ryan Cup doesn't get as big a factor as it should get...

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: drici on January 28, 2009, 10:36:45 AM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 28, 2009, 10:29:22 AM

Belfast Met will face Dundalk IT at St Agnes' while Paddy Tally's St Mary's team take on Carlow IT at the St Paul's ground on the Shaw's Road.

Stop mixing the pitches up for matches and causing people to go to the wrong one.

Copied from the BBC, don't get your knickers in a twist.

drici

Suspected it was a piece of churnalism - always check stuff or put in where it came from if you are not prepared to take responsibility for it after posting it with no reference - reverse the pitches to get the correct match.

bennydorano

Looking forward to QUB V UUJ, have booked a half day of work.  Queens would be big favourites I'd imagine, but it's the sort of game where favouritism matters very little, vernon will be man marked.

INDIANA

queens should win this comeptition, easily the best side in it.

orangeman

Quote from: The GAA on January 28, 2009, 10:33:57 AM

I think you're right there - It was played under lights at the Athletic grounds - QUB took a hammering that night from an in form DCU  - Queens seem to have improved significantly since.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: bennydorano on January 28, 2009, 11:07:27 AM
Looking forward to QUB V UUJ, have booked a half day of work.  Queens would be big favourites I'd imagine, but it's the sort of game where favouritism matters very little, vernon will be man marked.

Have the wednesday and the Thursday booked off myself, get a breakfast somewhere head to the match then for a few drinks after the match

Should be a good match, no matter about the odds UUJ will always up their game against QUB and vice versa, the quarter final last eyar was one of the best I have seen in ages.

corn02

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 28, 2009, 11:47:20 AM

Have the wednesday and the Thursday booked off myself, get a breakfast somewhere head to the match then for a few drinks after the match

Should be a good match, no matter about the odds UUJ will always up their game against QUB and vice versa, the quarter final last eyar was one of the best I have seen in ages.

Ditto, haven't the Thursday booked off yet.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: corn02 on January 28, 2009, 12:55:29 PM

I just couldn't face work the thursday with a hangover, plus there is the chance I could go back on the drink the thursday...

Is the match in Casement?

corn02

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 28, 2009, 01:48:04 PM

I just couldn't face work the thursday with a hangover, plus there is the chance I could go back on the drink the thursday...

No the DUB, do you know the time.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: corn02 on January 28, 2009, 01:51:32 PM
Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 28, 2009, 01:48:04 PM

No the DUB, do you know the time.

guessing two or half two... love matches up at the dub, apart from the inevitable pushing