Sigerson Cup 2009

Started by Our Nail Loney, January 28, 2009, 10:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattockranger

Dundalk IT give Garda a real scare

Date: 04 February 2009
By James Rogers
Dundalk IT gave one of the Sigerson Cup favourites, Garda, a huge scare in their second round clash at the college on Wednesday before going down on a 0-16 to 1-10 scoreline.
Cork's John Miskella and Leitrim's Emlyn Mulligan both converted a brace of points in the early stages to give the visitors a two point lead after 23 minutes. However, points from DkIT's Ciaran Hanratty and Conor McManus ensured the sides went off level at the break on a scoreline of 0-5 apiece.

Mulligan and Hanratty exchanged points on the restart but Garda quickly pulled away from their opponents with Miskella adding four points as they raced into a 0-13 to 0-7 lead with 11 minutes remaining.

However, Dundalk IT were not willing to give up without a fight and after McManus pulled a point back on 50 minutes, it was quickly followed by a goal a minute later from Cavan's Cian Mackey that had the deficit reduced back to two points.

In the end Garda just managed to hold out for the win but were fortunate that referee Dominic Brogan failed to spot a clear footblock on a shotfrom McManus in the closing stages.

One of the talking points before the game was whether the Louth U-21 players would be involved but the trio of Jason Clarke, Declan Byrne and Barry Flanagan all started the game. However, there was no sign of Dundalk IT boss Mickey Heeney with Cathal Kearney and Louth senior player Derek Crilly taking charge of the side on the day.

Garda: D O'Brien; S Breheny, R O'Connor, C McGill; S Mulligan, E Callaghan, D Mullahy; M Cussen, M Milner; M Harrington, J Miskella (0-6), J Kavanagh (0-3); J Martin, G Brady (0-1), E Mulligan (0-6, 5f). Subs: G O'Connell for M Harrington, 45 mins; N Shevlin for G Brady, 50 mins.

Dundalk IT: P O'Rourke; J Clarke, B Cusack, D Galligan; D Byrne, D Lubby, R Gorman (0-1); A Callaghan, A Collins; C Mackey (1-0), C McManus (0-4, 3f), P Young; A Farrell (0-1, 45), C Hanratty (0-3), B Flanagan. Sub: M Lennon (0-1) for B Flanagan, 43 mins.
Referee: D Brogan (Armagh).

Read full match report and reaction in The Dundalk Democrat on Wednesday February 11   

a farrell i think is Brian farrells brother
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

SidelineKick

Quote from: YogiBear on February 04, 2009, 04:15:02 PM
Before the game today all the talk on this board and elsewhere was off a certain red headed midfielder who was a star of the future.  Well despite his greatest efforts him or his teammates could not contain another ginger genius who ran the show who goes by the name a Packie Downey - in the words of Andy Gray take a bow my son.

Always found him over rated.  Did he do the business today? Fair play to him.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Maximus Marillius

at a guess....one who doesn't give a toss about opinion

Spirit of 94

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on February 04, 2009, 04:19:42 PM
at a guess....one who doesn't give a toss about opinion

Funny thing opinion, the IN is full of it.............at £150 a throw..........allegedly.

stpauls

Before the game today all the talk on this board and elsewhere was off a certain red headed midfielder who was a star of the future.  Well despite his greatest efforts him or his teammates could not contain another ginger genius who ran the show who goes by the name a Packie Downey - in the words of Andy Gray take a bow my son.

is this the same packie downey who was marked out of it twice last year by our nearly 40 yr old full back?

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: SidelineKick on February 04, 2009, 04:18:01 PM

Packie has always been a bit of an enigma.  Did he not, nearly singlehandly help UUJ get to the final (or possibly the Sigerson semi final) a few years back but didn't get a run in the final at all?

Also, Ross Carr had him on the Down senior panel but Pete Mc Grath didn't think he was good enough for the U.21's - strange

SidelineKick

Quote from: Open yer eyes Man on February 04, 2009, 04:39:42 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on February 04, 2009, 04:18:01 PM

Packie has always been a bit of an enigma.  Did he not, nearly singlehandly help UUJ get to the final (or possibly the Sigerson semi final) a few years back but didn't get a run in the final at all?

Also, Ross Carr had him on the Down senior panel but Pete Mc Grath didn't think he was good enough for the U.21's - strange

He certainly would have been good enough for the u21s but not for the seniors, definitely not.

Maybe I haven't seen enough of him and I'm always open to correction but I still don't think he'd be good enough for the seniors.

Reported.

T O Hare

Packie had a great game at midfield and scored a great point. Colgan also spoiled a lot around the middle.. The poly had their homework done!!! their centre-half back is very good... Cavanagh was the difference and i was also impressed by Donnelly...who was the poly keeper, made some great saves too!!!
Queens thought they would walk it... They just did nt perform... Courteney  wanted to fight at every oppurtunity!!!

Also was chatting to Ballinderry folk today and they said that Dessie Ryan is with Wee James this year
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Slapdash

Just back from the Dub, a game spoilt by the pernickety Paudie Hughes.  UUJ won courteous of a well organised game plan, nullifying Queens diagonal balls into the FF line and pressurising the QUB kickers around the congested centrefield.  Added to that UUJ largely dominated midfield, especially in the 1st half.  Darren Hughes was my man of the match at CHB for the Poly, swept up a lot of possession and drove out of defence with authority.  A great late point rounded off an excellent display.  Colm Cavanagh had a superb opening half, winning ball out in front and in the air (some of the kickpasses into him in the first half were first rate,) plus kicking a few points.  The Poly deserved the win, but on another day their wayward freetaking could have been more costly.

Mid Down Gael

QUB

1 F Murphy 0-1
2 H Gallagher
3 N McGovern
4 L Howard
5 R Dillon
6 J OKane
7 J Crozier0-1
8 C Vernon
9 B McArdle
10 J Loughery
11 C Maginn
12 SL McGoldrick 1-0
13 J Kielt 0-5
14 S ONeill
15 C Bayne.

Subs:
P Courtney for C Bayne
M Ward for J Loughery
D OHagan for B McArdle

UUJ

1 G Kelly
2 A Girvin
3 P Kernan
4 G Haughey
5 D Mulholland
6 D Hughes 0-1
7 D Bateson
8 J Colgan
9 P Downey 0-1
10 C Donnelly 1-2
11 R Mulgrew 0-1
12 N McKeever 0-2
13 C Cavanagh 0-4
14 S Forker
15 T McCann 0-1.

Subs:
P Hughes for Forker
B Boggs for Mulholland

Thought the poly where far hungrier for victory and played some great football. thought Colgan marked Vernon out of it and Packie Downey played well too in midfield. Darren Hughes was immence as was Colm Cavanagh up front. Mulgrew and McCann also very impressive. Queens best in my eyes where Sean Leo McGoldrick and Justin Crozier.

mattockranger

will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

SidelineKick

Reported.

orangeman