NFL DIV3

Started by mattockranger, January 27, 2009, 01:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteThe GAA will have been thinking about the supporters of Sligo and Antrim as well when they picked Longford.

I had forgotten about the Div 4 gig, sure even the Antrim team don't think about Antrim supporters.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Trevor Hill

Quote from: amallon on April 15, 2009, 10:13:10 AM
The GAA will have been thinking about the supporters of Sligo and Antrim as well when they picked Longford.

The game doesnt necessarily have to be a "double header", we wont see a big crowd at either game no matter where it is held.

Lazer

The GAA will have been thinking about the supporters of Sligo and Antrim as well when they picked Longford.

Or in reality - it seems to be just the supporters of Sligo

Travel time (From RAC)

To Lonford:
Sligo - 1 1/2 hours
Tipperary - 4hrs
Antrim - 4 hrs
Newry, Down - 2 1/2 hrs
Belfast (Antrim/Down) -3 1/2 hrs

To Dublin
Sligo - 4hrs
Tipperary - 2 1/2hrs
Antrim - 2 1/2hrs
Newry,Down - 1hr
Belfast (antrim/Down) - 2hrs

And I'm sure there is other suitable locations other than Dublin, just using it as an example - Longford is not the obvious choice for anyone other than sligo!
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Onlooker

I have to agree that there appears to be very little logic in fixing the Tipperary/Down game for Longford.  As both teams have got promotion, there is not a lot at stake to attract anyone apart from the real died in the wool fans.  A venue around Dublin would be far more suitable for both counties.  If lazer's times are right, I am facing 8 hours of driving to Longford and back.  I have not checked it out yet, but I hope those times are a bit off the mark.

Trevor Hill

Onlooker, depending on what part of Tipp you are in I reckon it should be no more than a 2 hour journey. You should head for Athlone then N55/N4 to Longford. You could do it in 4 hours on a bike.  ;)

Onlooker

Like most Tipp football supporters, I am in the south of the county.  It won't take anything like 4 hours, but it is about 120 miles to Longford.  I don't know about Athlone, as there would be better roads going by Portlaoise and Tullamore. Thanks for the info. BTW congrats on Down's win in the Under 21 to-night.  Tipp should have been in the semi finals as well, but that's the way it goes.

Lazer

Quote from: Trevor Hill on April 15, 2009, 04:46:50 PM
Onlooker, depending on what part of Tipp you are in I reckon it should be no more than a 2 hour journey. You should head for Athlone then N55/N4 to Longford. You could do it in 4 hours on a bike.  ;)

RAC figures
From TIPPERARY
To Longford
Total Distance: 177.44 mile(s), about 3 hour(s) 59 minute(s)

Although the way they suggest does seem a bit dubious - via Dublin

Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

Trevor Hill

http://www.hoganstand.com/down/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=110157

Down manager Ross Carr has described the decision to fix his side's NFL Division 3 final against Tipperary for Pearse Park in Longford on Saturday week as "scandalous".

Carr believes it would have made far more sense to play the final as part of a triple-header with the Division 1 and 2 finals in Croke Park the following day.

"Is the prize of gaining promotion to be sent to Longford on a Saturday night? It is absolutely scandalous," he blasted.

"Don't get me wrong, we are delighted to be in the final and it would be far worse if we were not travelling. But, it seems the powers that be do not take other people's considerations into account when making these decisions.

"We are now facing a 12-hour day and by the time there's a presentation after the match and you have a meal somewhere, you're not home until 12 or one o'clock in the morning.

"In the Division 1, 2 and 3 finals, you have three Munster teams facing three Ulster teams. In many respects, Tipperary are the fairytale story of the whole league campaign, gaining promotion for the second year running and I'm sure their footballers would have loved the opportunity to play in Croke Park as much as ourselves.

"We thought they might have been able to do something, but it hasn't worked out this time."

cornafean

Quote from: Trevor Hill on April 16, 2009, 01:05:51 PM
"Is the prize of gaining promotion to be sent to Longford on a Saturday night?

;D
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Onlooker

Ross Carr is 100% correct in what he says on Hogan Stand.  It would be great for the Tipperary footballers to play in Croke Park and I know that there would be far more supporters from both Tipp and Down in Croke Park than there would be in Longford.  Is it too late for common sense to prevail.  Hopefully, some one in Croke Park will listen to what the Down manager is saying.  Well done Ross.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Lazer on April 15, 2009, 12:43:48 PM

Or in reality - it seems to be just the supporters of Sligo

Travel time (From RAC)

To Lonford:
Sligo - 1 1/2 hours
Tipperary - 4hrs
Antrim - 4 hrs
Newry, Down - 2 1/2 hrs
Belfast (Antrim/Down) -3 1/2 hrs

To Dublin
Sligo - 4hrs
Tipperary - 2 1/2hrs
Antrim - 2 1/2hrs
Newry,Down - 1hr
Belfast (antrim/Down) - 2hrs

And I'm sure there is other suitable locations other than Dublin, just using it as an example - Longford is not the obvious choice for anyone other than sligo!

It's only an hour for me to Longford, half that to Carrick and the other half to Longford. About 45 mins for those close to Boyle, so it's a convenient journey for us, no harm having been playing in Belfast, Ruislip, Aughrim and some spot in the arse-end of West Clare during the league.

On AA's site, it gives the following:

To Longford:
Cahir, Co Tipp - 2 hrs 52 mins (i.e. south Tipp)
Newry - 2 hrs 18 mins
Belfast - 2 hrs 52 mins
Sligo town - 1 hr 21 mins

To Parnell Park:
Cahir - 2 hrs 33 mins
Newry - 1 hr 10 mins
Belfast - 1 hr 58 mins
Sligo - 2 hr 57 mins (and that could be right, no way is it 4 hrs)

BTW it's nice to be able to post in the Div 3 thread, will be able to do so more often next year too.

mylestheslasher

Was at pearse park this year. Its an ok ground but on the terrace opposite the stand you can't see the sideline on the near side which is pretty bad design.

AZOffaly

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 16, 2009, 09:38:01 PM
Was at pearse park this year. Its an ok ground but on the terrace opposite the stand you can't see the sideline on the near side which is pretty bad design.

That's cause you were drunk. :D

I don't mind Pearse Park. I think it's a nice ground.

Trevor Hill

Promotion is already in the bag but defeat by Tipperary in Saturday's Allianz NFL Division 3 would not augur well for Down's Championship chances.

Anything other than promotion would have been dismal for Ross Carr's side and their form was mixed enough given defeats by Cavan and Limerick.

The Mourne County did defeat Tipperary 0-18 to 1-9 in their Division 3 league opener in February.

Down should again win with something to spare in Longford (1830 BST).

Despite that result on 1 February, Tipperary boss John Evans says that his team will have no fears at Pearse Park.

After that reverse, his teams produced five straight wins to claim a shock promotion and a shadow side's defeat in their final game against Longford didn't matter - as Division 2 football had already been guaranteed.

Evans has recalled all his main men for Saturday's encounter with only four players remaining for the Longford reverse.

Goalkeeper Paul Fitzgerald returns along with Conor Morrissey, Ciaran McDonald, Brian Fox and Christy Aylward in defence.

George Hannigan and Brian Jones are back in midfield while attack changes see Sean Carey, Niall Fitzgerald, James Tierney and Barry Grogan making their return.

Ross Carr may also be tempted to make changes to his line-up with Dan Gordan available again after being out for a couple of months because of injury.

However, Peter Fitzpatrick has been in excellent midfield form for both the seniors and under-21s and could be retained at centrefield alongside Stephen Kearney.

Daniel Hughes was Down's star attack against Roscommon as he hit four points from play while Paul McComiskey is also looking the part in the Down attack after being out of the equation for some time because of a serious back injury.

Overall, the Down attack has the look of a very formidable unit although Benny Coulter has not been quite at his brilliant best during the current league.

Down should get the job done on Sunday and anything other than a comprehensive victory will suggest that the Mournemen may again struggle to compete in the business end of the championship.

Tipperary: P Fitzgerald, C Morrissey, C McDonald, A Morrissey, B Fox, H Coghlan, C Aylward, G Hannigan, B Jones, S Carey, N Fitzgerald, B Mulvihill, J Tierney, B Coen, B Grogan. Subs: M O'Donnell, C Higgins, E Hanrahan, D O'Brien, R Costigan, K Mulryan, J Cagney, M Phelan, I Barnes.

Down: (tba)

Mourne Rover

Hoganstand.com says Down have two changes - Peter Turley and Jamie O'Reilly in and Dee Rafferty and Brendan McArdle out. Turley is named at CHB, with Garvey at full back, but they will probably switch at some stage. Benny starts, despite the rumours. It looks a decent enough side, although Dan and Ambrose will hopefully get a run as well