NFL DIV3

Started by mattockranger, January 27, 2009, 01:18:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Relegation would be a disaster for any of the teams left, but I'd say Louth are the most likely to go down as their form has gone south in a big way. There's rumours all is not well within the camp which is a shame as I thought they might kick on from their fine form of a few years ago.

Bord na Mona man

Limerick end up falling through the trapdoor.
They certainly didn't play like a team who felt the urgency of a relegation battle in Tullamore today.

AZOffaly

That was a big, important win for Offaly yesterday. Another season in Division 4 would have been a nightmare, and with Longford and Louth both winning, as was on the cards, I think we'd have gone down.

Phew is all I can say.

Zulu

Mickey Ned could be on his way out, he has long since stopped having any influence in the Limerick camp and I don't think he'll be there next year. Limerick need a new voice anyway, they have a decent team but they're not delivering in the games that matter. I was looking at the Offaly team and they have a decent squad as well so hopefully they'll put behind this indifferent league and start getting things right for the championship.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on April 13, 2009, 11:13:14 AM
Mickey Ned could be on his way out, he has long since stopped having any influence in the Limerick camp and I don't think he'll be there next year. Limerick need a new voice anyway, they have a decent team but they're not delivering in the games that matter. I was looking at the Offaly team and they have a decent squad as well so hopefully they'll put behind this indifferent league and start getting things right for the championship.

Offaly have decent footballers Zulu, always have had, but the problem is preparation. To borrow a line from an ousted manager, some of them (a lot) are more interested in the tracksuit than the jersey. They like to be around Tullamore with the sponsored gear, and being Billy Big Bollox with the girls.

Compared to any serious inter county team, these lads need a wake up call and need to start putting in the work in the gym during the winter. You can tell from their bodies that the likes of Tyrone, Kerry, Dublin, and even the likes of Westmeath, are miles ahead in terms of body strength and conditioning. That translates into too many 50-50 balls being lost, being unable to break tackles, and being shoved off the ball by those serious teams.

I'm confident enough that if we started to move to that level, and maintained our approach to the game itself, we'd be competitive again. Without it, we're not *that* good that we can overcome a team who throws us around.

Trevor Hill

Allianz GAA Football National League Roinn 3 Final
Sat 25th April
Final: Down V Tipperary
venue:Pearse Park, Longford, time:6 30 pm, (Ref:TBC) TG4 (Live)
In the event of a draw at the end of normal time, extra time will be played

Trevor Hill

In Longford of all places. Terrible ground, no facilities and the town is a dive. Full of cream crackers. This will be our third trip to/via Longford in a month. The first for the game in Pearse Park against Longford, then Roscommon via Longford at the weekend and now a return for the final. I was hoping for a trip to Dublin (Parnell Park), its roughly half way for both counties.

Shamrock Shore

QuoteTerrible ground, no facilities

Trevor, what exactly are you looking for in a county grounds??

I have no opinion on the rest of you rant!

Trevor Hill

Its not a rant, its the truth. I was in Pearse Park a few weeks ago. The attitude of the stewards was appalling the guy on the gate didnt know what a season ticket was, the state of the toilets was worse, though that is second hand info as I am only going on what the wife said and the majority of the "stand seemed to be flooded" or at least anywhere we sat seemed to have large puddles.
We pay good money and travel long distances to attend these games, we the paying public deserve better in my opinion.

Rossfan

That's Division 3 for ya  :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Louth Exile

Quote from: Trevor Hill on April 14, 2009, 01:45:33 PM
In Longford of all places. Terrible ground, no facilities and the town is a dive. Full of cream crackers.

And who said that the Down supporters were an arrogant lot!!  ;)
In fairness to Longford it has a couple of decent stout houses.

It is a strange call though, Dublin would seem to make sense, or maybe Newbridge, but Longford ???
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Onlooker

Longford is a long trip for both Tipperary & Down.  I was expecting that Parnell Park would be the likely venue.  It would be more convenient for both sets of supporters as well as Tipp and Down people living in Dublin.  However, I was in Pearse Park a few years ago and thought it was a nice venue for a game.  I don't know anything about the town as it was a rushed visit as it will probably be this time for a 6.30 throw in on a Saturday night.

armaghniac

While a candidate for an Ulster/Connacht clash Longford does not suit a game between Munster and Ulster teams, but it seems to have some supporters among the GAA fixture planning people. The game between Crossmaglen and Broadford was there in a venue not that easy to reach from Cross' and a long way from West Limerick. With the road system now somewhere like Newbridge would be ideal for these games. That said I thought the ground there was OK. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Louth Exile on April 14, 2009, 05:59:47 PM
And who said that the Down supporters were an arrogant lot!!  ;)

Arrogant? Us? We don`t really have a lot to be arrogant about these days, but it could be worse, the game could be in Drawda  ;)

I just think Longford is a strange choice of venue for a game between Tipp and Down.

amallon

The GAA will have been thinking about the supporters of Sligo and Antrim as well when they picked Longford.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.