2009 Grand Slam Champions

Started by Dinny Breen, January 27, 2009, 11:15:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 23, 2009, 04:00:29 PM
Actually GNevin, I've heard it both ways. Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage, and Crouch, Touch, Hold, Engage. I've even heard, Crouch, Touch, Attendez, Engage. :D

Well that clears that up. I used to think it was refs being a bit disrespectful to prop forwards -

Crouch, Touch paws, Engage.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on March 23, 2009, 04:06:19 PM
Actually GNevin, I've heard it both ways. Crouch, Touch, Pause, Engage, and Crouch, Touch, Hold, Engage. I've even heard, Crouch, Touch, Attendez, Engage. :D

Well that clears that up. I used to think it was refs being a bit disrespectful to prop forwards -

Crouch, Touch paws, Engage.

Very good. :D

I love when the game is hot and heavy, and the ref knows he's losing the Front Rows a bit. Then the scrum call is more like 'Crouchtouchpauseengage'

Gnevin

Pause , engage is the only correct one.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

brokencrossbar1

Like AZ I have heard it both ways.  I do not claim to be an expert on the minutiae of the game, so I will bow to your great knowledge of that.  Curiousity GNevin, have you played rugby before?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gnevin on March 23, 2009, 04:08:38 PM

Possibly. I don't have the rules in front of me. But it's definitely splitting hairs, and I've heard it a few ways. It's the intention rather than the words that is important.

Gnevin

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 23, 2009, 04:08:53 PM
Like AZ I have heard it both ways.  I do not claim to be an expert on the minutiae of the game, so I will bow to your great knowledge of that.  Curiousity GNevin, have you played rugby before?
Yes.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 23, 2009, 04:13:58 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on March 23, 2009, 04:08:38 PM

Possibly. I don't have the rules in front of me. But it's definitely splitting hairs, and I've heard it a few ways. It's the intention rather than the words that is important.

http://www.irb.com/ELVs/
Now you do :D

AZOffaly

What's your point GNevin? I said that it possibly is 'Pause', but I said I've heard it a few different ways, and to imply that it betrays some sort of ignorance of Rugby is a fairly lame argument.

magpie seanie

Well "crouch, touch, hold, engage" must have been in the old rules cos I definitely heard it as well.

Gnevin

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 23, 2009, 04:24:18 PM
What's your point GNevin? I said that it possibly is 'Pause', but I said I've heard it a few different ways, and to imply that it betrays some sort of ignorance of Rugby is a fairly lame argument.
Well you all stand corrected on this contentious issue . ;)

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gnevin on March 23, 2009, 04:27:33 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 23, 2009, 04:24:18 PM
Well you all stand corrected on this contentious issue . ;)

I'd have thought someone with your infamous attention to detail in the written word would have been a little more forgiving.

Gnevin

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2009, 04:24:38 PM
Well "crouch, touch, hold, engage" must have been in the old rules cos I definitely heard it as well.
It used to be crouch , hold ,engage but the hold wasn't long enough so it was changed to crouch , pause ,engage. However the distance between the front rows was getting to big so it is now.  Crouch , touch ,pause ,engage.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gnevin on March 23, 2009, 04:32:39 PM
It used to be crouch , hold ,engage but the hold wasn't long enough so it was changed to crouch , pause ,engage. However the distance between the front rows was getting to big so it is now.  Crouch , touch ,pause ,engage.

Well there you go. Obviously this rules me completely incapable of ever commenting on anything to do with rugby.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2009, 04:39:53 PM

Well there you go. Obviously this rules me completely incapable of ever commenting on anything to do with rugby.

Ye see seanie, we made the mistake of having an opinion about something we know nothing about so The Oracle has put us right.  Tis great to be educated from the city, us poor old culchies, what would a Sligo ad an Armagh man know about it anyway :P

Gnevin

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 23, 2009, 04:43:24 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 23, 2009, 04:39:53 PM

Ye see seanie, we made the mistake of having an opinion about something we know nothing about so The Oracle has put us right.  Tis great to be educated from the city, us poor old culchies, what would a Sligo ad an Armagh man know about it anyway :P
Look lads you seem like a good bunch . Just don't let it happen again and we will forget this ever happened , Ok?

ps http://sligocity.olx.ie/ <-Sligo ad's  :D