Charlie Vernon

Started by T O Hare, January 23, 2009, 02:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abble

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 26, 2009, 04:16:00 PM
Interesting point Croi as I thought the same myself.
He's got tree trunk legs as well so another typical Armagh weight lifter but he played well the day I saw him for Queens.

Its early days yet for young Vernon but he seemed to struggle last year with the county setup but I think he'll be a fair enough prospect for the upcoming season.

fuzzman for his first proper year in the team he done well, some exceptional moments which he will have relished along with a couple of blips which an inteliigent fella like him will have taken on board. as well as this it was managements first season so there is a long way to go for all involved.

I'm not sure what it is these days but why do some people think they can come on to the boards and single out any particular indiividual attempting to criticise them after playing senior only one year...do people expect these guys to be automatic straight replacements for the  likes of established players as in mcgeeney or mcgrane or the doohers and dara o'se's etc ? it will only be over a period of maybe 4 - 5 years that players can get time to mature and setlle into their own style.

every county has their own 1 or 2 great prospects and no-one else is getting a thread dedicated to them.....i'd prefer to see this thread taken down til tell yis the truth

saffron sam2

I'd be worried that Charlie Vernon might become another great white (legged and ginger haired) hope who stars at inter-varsity level for Queen's, but never really cuts the mustard or fulfils his potential at senior inter-county level.

A bit like Danny Barr and Paul Brewster.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Mario on January 25, 2009, 01:45:55 PM
Whisky i dont see the problem with this thread, its a GAA forum and he is an intercounty player who we are discussing, would you have the same objections if it was Ronan Clarke or Paddy Bradley being discussed? No one is being offensive towards the lad which would be out of order. He is a sportsman playing at a high level and like any other sportsman he will get praised and criticised.

I wouldnt care too much if it was Clarke or Bradley but that is precisely the point. Clarke and Bradley are now seasoned intercounty players who have consistently produced the goods. For example Clarkes AI performance on one of the greatest Kerry players of this generation and Bradley being within a couple of seasons from becoming the top scorer in Ulster ever. Vernon has not had the oppurtunity to reach anywhere near this standard yet. For every great prospect there is a disappointment and I would be slightly uneasy about a thread started on the hype of a mckenna cup performance which leads on to a poster speculating that he will be as good as a Tohill or Cavanagh which is quite unlikely and in any case wont be proven til he has several seasons under his belt
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Fuzzman

Too true Abble he needs time to settle in and Armagh are in transition mode at the moment.

A few years ago we were all told that young Mulgrew would be the next best thing and we're still kinda waiting on him to prove it.
Even Brian McGuigan took a year or two to get settled into the team and show his true worth.

Final Whistle

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 26, 2009, 04:16:00 PM
Interesting point Croi as I thought the same myself.
He's got tree trunk legs as well so another typical Armagh weight lifter but he played well the day I saw him for Queens.

Its early days yet for young Vernon but he seemed to struggle last year with the county setup but I think he'll be a fair enough prospect for the upcoming season.

not your average armagh weight lifter. he has been freakishly big since i first seen him and that was 13 years ago!!

take er canny lad

some say "big ben" is timed to his watch

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: take er canny lad on January 27, 2009, 10:48:52 PM
some say "big ben" is timed to his watch

thought that was chuck norris..