Charlie Vernon

Started by T O Hare, January 23, 2009, 02:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on January 24, 2009, 10:00:11 PM
I'd blame the fecker who stayed in his way while he tied his lacers! Plonker!

He could n't hit a barn door with a shotgun. He should have waited until kielt tied his laces. He missed another easy chance later on. The queens goalie was the difference.

Donagh

Quote from: Franko on January 24, 2009, 01:20:47 PM
I also know that he has had 'no drink parties' in his house in belfast and each to their own and all that but that sounds like as much craic as munching on a shit sandwich :-\

Fair play to him if he does. As someone trying to bring up a couple of teenage girls, I'm more than prepared to indulge their chatter and let them look up to him, whether it be in the Gaeltacht or on the football field. His footballing ability aside, he's a good example of what our youth should aspire to reach, and you can be damn sure the student Buckfast slabbers around Belfast are simply envious of his self-discipline and application. That also goes for a few of the other lads on that QUB team, whom I'll not embarrass by naming. Cormac McAnallen set the standard and I hope they kick-on now and emulate his success on and off the field.

ONeill

Well said Donagh. More men like that needed in this country.

I wasn't overly impressed yesterday with his display but that was because he lacked a wee bit of know-how against the Donegal midfield. He was flat-footed for both throw-ins in extra time, one of which resulted in a point for the Donegal midfielder - a lead they never relinguished. I suppose two games in three nights contributed to that. But he has seriously strength and athletic ability and shrugged off a few tackles with frightening ease. I hope he's not another one off the Armagh body-building production line though. They seemed to lose something in terms of speed and support play in late championship. Was he always so muscle-bound or is that a late development?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

whiskeysteve

I hope T O Hare shuts this thread. If Vernon was a Derry man I wouldnt be too happy to see this.

The real season hasnt started yet and the business of opening threads for the praise of individual players should be reserved for those coming to the end of a particularly noteworthy season or career, ie the likes of Cavanagh or Darragh O'Se. I can think of dozens of players who we could all start threads about. All this thread serves to do is build hype and focus the spotlight of every subsequent game like a VernonWatch, and allow the odd eejit to come on and take a cheap shot at worst. This is unfair but likely, particularly if he goes through a bad run of form. If hes the down to earth fella you hear about then im sure he wouldnt be a big fan of seeing this either.

The likes of the Gaelic Life also love to stoke up a lot of hyperbole in January to sell their papers. Wait until he does it for Armagh this season
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Mario

Whisky i dont see the problem with this thread, its a GAA forum and he is an intercounty player who we are discussing, would you have the same objections if it was Ronan Clarke or Paddy Bradley being discussed? No one is being offensive towards the lad which would be out of order. He is a sportsman playing at a high level and like any other sportsman he will get praised and criticised.

take er canny lad

thon cub cud kick a ball through a wall of mortar

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: ONeill on January 23, 2009, 07:40:04 PM
Is Vernon the new Larry Reilly?
Larry would have put that free over with a pair of wellies on him!

bennydorano

Quote from: ONeill on January 25, 2009, 10:01:05 AM

I hope he's not another one off the Armagh body-building production line though. They seemed to lose something in terms of speed and support play in late championship. Was he always so muscle-bound or is that a late development?
Charlie has been huge since about U14, I remember teams in the Feile (think it was in Tipp) trying to devise plans to avoid him.

Sod's law regarding last night, player of the tournament misses the chance to win it.  Hopfully he can stay injury free this year and produce what we know he's capable of.

Good post Nashville!

corn02

Quote from: bennydorano on January 25, 2009, 03:14:12 PM
Quote from: ONeill on January 25, 2009, 10:01:05 AM

I hope he's not another one off the Armagh body-building production line though. They seemed to lose something in terms of speed and support play in late championship. Was he always so muscle-bound or is that a late development?
player of the tournament

The most important part of your post. Great start to the year, hope he keeps it up in the league.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: nashville on January 25, 2009, 01:33:05 AM
Quote from: Franko on January 24, 2009, 01:20:47 PM
Have been keeping an eye on this guy over the past couple of years and I think he has what it takes to be a star.  However, he is not yet that and for people to say he is definitely going to be some sort of saviour for Armagh is ridiculous.

I also know that he has had 'no drink parties' in his house in belfast and each to their own and all that but that sounds like as much craic as munching on a shit sandwich :-\

Complete and total lies. Charlie doesn't drink alcohol and has no problem with people who do drink. To suggest he had a party where drink was banned is just childish and making him sound like some kind of bible-basher!

Vernon is from our club. From u12 he has been tipped as the man who could make a difference. He has done it at every single level and played against some of the best at minor, u21 and even roughed it with the Australians when he was captain of the u18 compromise rules squad that travelled to Australia and won the tour, earning the man of the series title. He has won all of his honours playing in the central positions of CHB or MF. The only obstacle he has left to conquer is Senior Intercounty football, and hand on my heart, having watched him from 11 years of age, I feel that if he is given the opportunity to flourish and play in his position of Midfield then it will only be a matter of time until he is talked about in the same breath as McGrane, Cavanagh and Tohill.

A midfield partnership in Gaelic is like one in soccer... one player needs to be restrained and cover the defence, one needs to go forward and chip in with scores. At the minute I feel too much emphasis is placed on Paul McGrane within the Armagh team and there is almost a feeling of whatever Paul does then the other midfielder has to do the other job, basically McGrane gets to decide what he can do. This is something Paul has earned with many outstanding displays and why I feel Charlie would not be a suitable partner for him. When Paul retires I think Charlie should be our number 1 midfielder, given the free role he has with Queens and with Harps to attack and score. His fielding is immense, his tackling is first class (something exhibited in McKenna Cup and Sigerson games thus far), and his score taking ability is great. His passing is very good also, and I believe that when he does become our number 1 midfielder that Ronan Clarke and McDonnell can benefit from his surging runs with layoffs or his long passing ability. But until McGrane calls it a day I don't think Charlie is suited to Armagh's midfield. Until then Charlie will have to make do with doing the donkey running that seems almost compulsory for Armagh half forwards... I look forward to the day when Charlie's real talent is unleashed and people finally realise what all the fuss is about...

i know the feeling.lol

Rav67

you making another comeback this year mr. stubbs?

corn02

Quote from: Rav67 on January 25, 2009, 06:46:35 PM
you making another comeback this year mr. stubbs?

Hopefully

Orior

Charlie made a lot of sideways handpasses (3-4 yards) on Wednesday evening when I thought he could have booted it up field. Not sure whether the forward just werent showing for the ball. Maybe it was better to keep possession.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Doogie Browser

Charlie is the first recipient of the 'curse of the GAA Board' award then. 

Croí na hÉireann

Saw the game on Sat night and kept an eye out for Vernon after all the natter on here. Good player but is way too bulky on top, he'll lose pace in no time. Should try to get the build of a Darragh O'Sé or a Ciarán Whelan rather than an American Football player...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...