Memorable acts of sportsmanship in GAA games

Started by Hardy, January 12, 2009, 10:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

On a personal level ,our "archrivals" (whom we beat in theIFC  semi final) won the IFL final to go senior and our IFC final was on immediately afterwards in Parnell Park. On our way out onto the pitch after their presentation ,they to a man wished us luck in the final. Only a small thing you might say but to this day I still have the height of regard for that club.
Often wonder whether we would have done the same if roles were reversed.

From a Dublin perspective I think that by and large we are not the worst losers (well used to it now I suppose) and cannot really say bar one exception that I have seen teams that have beaten us really rub it in.

The exception was the 2007 semi final vs Mayo when the Mayo fans imo were obnoxious in victory......especially two twats who were mouthing off in the Palace Bar after the game. Very surprised as the Mayo lads in our club are the soundest lads around.

Can't wait to meet them again in the Championship.Would be even sweeter to beat them with a Fine Gaeler in charge.

In particular I remember the Derry team of 1993 being very gracious in victory after the AISF.

Canalman

Hardy

There's way too much of that kind of shite on here - posting unsubstantiated rumours. People should remember it's other people's reputations they're messing with.

cornafean

Derry - for not whinging about Raymond Cunningham's "point that wasn't" for Cavan in the 1997 Ulster Final

Stephen O'Neill - for declining an All Ireland medal this year.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

SidelineKick

Quote from: cornafean on January 12, 2009, 04:10:57 PM
Derry - for not whinging about Raymond Cunningham's "point that wasn't" for Cavan in the 1997 Ulster Final

Still don't agree with that. He just caused more headlines instead of just taking it.  And I do realise he isn't an attention seeker and very civil and humble but to this day I still don't understand why he didn't just take it and say nothing. Stick it in a drawer.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Over the Bar

Tyrone in 1995 allowing Dublin to keep their undeserved All-Ireland, when they were at rights to at very least have the game replayed given that Charlie Redmond refused to lleave the field of play when sent off, which the rules state should result in the referee awarding the game to the other team.

supersarsfields

Opps FB. Got myself all confused. Had the AI final in my head for some reason and was looking at pics of it when i noticed the Gormley one. And I'm just thinking, that Dublin game was in a while downpour so I'd assume Gormley had gloves on so pics won't be much use.
But I still stand by the fact that I think the claim should be removed.

Homer

Quote from: SidelineKick on January 12, 2009, 04:13:50 PM
Quote from: cornafean on January 12, 2009, 04:10:57 PM

Still don't agree with that. He just caused more headlines instead of just taking it.  And I do realise he isn't an attention seeker and very civil and humble but to this day I still don't understand why he didn't just take it and say nothing. Stick it in a drawer.

I had assumed that in passing over the medal that one of his (would be unfortunate) teammates would then get to collect it instead.

SidelineKick

I don't think that's the case, Tyrone county board would have bought the extra medals needed. As far as I know nobody would have lost out if he had taken it.

Reported.

Tim Buzaglo

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 12, 2009, 04:27:27 PM
Tyrone in 1995 allowing Dublin to keep their undeserved All-Ireland, when they were at rights to at very least have the game replayed given that Charlie Redmond refused to lleave the field of play when sent off, which the rules state should result in the referee awarding the game to the other team.

Is there anything else that you'd like to congratulate you're own county on? ::)
Will we ever see another one?

SidelineKick

Quote from: Tim Buzaglo on January 12, 2009, 05:08:58 PM
Quote from: Over the Bar on January 12, 2009, 04:27:27 PM

Is there anything else that you'd like to congratulate you're own county on? ::)

Was thinking the same myself, gracious winners and gracious losers  ::)

Reported.

bcarrier

Since this thread seems only to be about Tyrone we should not forget Kevin McCabe taking the point from the penalty in 86.

corn02

Geezer staying out to watch Canavan lift Sam.

SidelineKick

Heffo it couldn't possibly be true, now give them back their halos.

Reported.

Gnevin

Getting back on point Sean Boylan congratulating the Dublin in 05 (I think) knowing that it was his last game too.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.