Ogra Sinn Fein and their Commemoration at Narrow Water

Started by DownFanatic, January 08, 2009, 07:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

What is to be gained by him lying?

I used to work with a fella who had a "neutral" name, grew up on the Upper Malone Road and had gone to Belfast Royal Academy. Nothing he ever said or talked about made me think he was a Catholic and with those credentials who would have guessed it. After about a year I found out he was a Catholic and had family play county football. Thought he was a great lad when I found out :)

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 14, 2009, 08:20:58 PM

I used to work with a fella who had a "neutral" name, grew up on the Upper Malone Road and had gone to Belfast Royal Academy. Nothing he ever said or talked about made me think he was a Catholic and with those credentials who would have guessed it. After about a year I found out he was a Catholic and had family play county football. Thought he was a great lad when I found out :)

His credibility would be completely shot if he was found out to be a liar.  Would you not agree ?

As for the fella you used to work with... more of them exist than Shinners would have you believe but like... what's the point of the story?

Myles's story just doesn't ring true.  He didn't do his research deeply enough to fool a GAA audience, in my opinion.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

carribbear

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 14, 2009, 08:37:36 PM

His credibility would be completely shot if he was found out to be a liar.  Would you not agree ?

As for the fella you used to work with... more of them exist than Shinners would have you believe but like... what's the point of the story?

Myles's story just doesn't ring true.  He didn't do his research deeply enough to fool a GAA audience, in my opinion.

Let's put it this way, he's a little vague in his background and his involvment in only certain threads would make you believe that he's undercover.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: carribbear on January 14, 2009, 08:40:13 PM

Let's put it this way, he's a little vague in his background and his involvment in only certain threads would make you believe that he's undercover.
;)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Minder

Only Tony knows the "point" to it but i would imagine he is saying that not every Catholic supports Celtic, nor has every Catholic even a passing interest in Gaa............In fairness what would he have to gain from lying. If he was from the other side of the house why not say, its not as if they are banned from this site.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Minder on January 14, 2009, 08:52:00 PM

Only Tony knows the "point" to it but i would imagine he is saying that not every Catholic supports Celtic, nor has every Catholic even a passing interest in Gaa............In fairness what would he have to gain from lying. If he was from the other side of the house why not say, its not as if they are banned from this site.
Minder,

I think I already said, in the same sentence as you quoted that I understand that not every Catholic supports Celtic and that not every Catholic is interested in the GAA.

Myles is the one trying to gain mileage out of what he says is his background in the arguments he puts forward.

I don't believe a word of his background, which I believe was the point of hhnb's question. 

Lar Naparka

C'mon, lads, surely you know who Myles is by now?

There are not many people on this board who will respond to a counter argument with the detail he does.
Like what he says or not, Myles will put his case in a logical, structured manner, beginning at the initial capital letter and only concluding at the last full stop- everything in between is dealt with.
How many others are in the habit of breaking a reply down into a series of quotes and addressing each quoted section in sequence?
Finally, and to finish, as my old parish priest was wont to say when he was daydreaming and couldn't recall where he was in a sermon, Myles goes to the (considerable) trouble of submitting multiple posts on occasion. If all points he wishes to address cannot be accommodated in a single post, he will obligingly spread his cumulative replies over several posts. You can never accuse him of failing to deal with anything he is invited to comment on or to reply to.
There are only two such posters here and both of them are from the dark side.
One of them is MW (I've been having an exchange of views over the carnage in Gaza with him in recent days. He's a tough nut to crack and that's for sure, but his style of writing is somewhat different to that of Myles.)  On the other hand, and I'm paying Myles a fulsome compliment here, his control of language and his ability to churn out subjunctive clauses without batting an eyelid, are uncommon traits on this board. I don't think one needs to be a genius to deduce who Myles na G's alter ego is.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 14, 2009, 09:55:47 PM
C'mon, lads, surely you know who Myles is by now?

There are not many people on this board who will respond to a counter argument with the detail he does.
Like what he says or not, Myles will put his case in a logical, structured manner, beginning at the initial capital letter and only concluding at the last full stop- everything in between is dealt with.
How many others are in the habit of breaking a reply down into a series of quotes and addressing each quoted section in sequence?
Finally, and to finish, as my old parish priest was wont to say when he was daydreaming and couldn't recall where he was in a sermon, Myles goes to the (considerable) trouble of submitting multiple posts on occasion. If all points he wishes to address cannot be accommodated in a single post, he will obligingly spread his cumulative replies over several posts. You can never accuse him of failing to deal with anything he is invited to comment on or to reply to.
There are only two such posters here and both of them are from the dark side.
One of them is MW (I've been having an exchange of views over the carnage in Gaza with him in recent days. He's a tough nut to crack and that's for sure, but his style of writing is somewhat different to that of Myles.)  On the other hand, and I'm paying Myles a fulsome compliment here, his control of language and his ability to churn out subjunctive clauses without batting an eyelid, are uncommon traits on this board. I don't think one needs to be a genius to deduce who Myles na G's alter ego is.
You've got me interested now. Who am I??

Gaffer

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 14, 2009, 07:57:48 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on January 14, 2009, 07:54:21 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on January 13, 2009, 01:30:33 PM
Out of curiousity, does anyone believe that MylesnaG was brought up catholic and is a nationalist and ex GAA member?

Honest question now, just wondering as his views and opinions are vastly different to those of most nationalists, but thats not to say he isnt, we dont all share the same views after all.

What do ye think?

Its quite obvious he wasn't brought up a Catholic
Why is it quite obvious?

Am I wrong?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Gaffer on January 15, 2009, 12:15:06 AM
Out of curiousity, does anyone believe that MylesnaG was brought up catholic and is a nationalist and ex GAA member?

Honest question now, just wondering as his views and opinions are vastly different to those of most nationalists, but thats not to say he isnt, we dont all share the same views after all.

What do ye think?

Why is it quite obvious?

Am I wrong?
Absolutely. Born and raised a Catholic, still a Catholic I suppose, though these days I'm a Christmas and special occasions mass attender only. Will be making a few more appearances than usual this year, as the wee lad is being confirmed and the school has a few pre event masses planned.

Gaffer

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 15, 2009, 07:10:29 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on January 15, 2009, 12:15:06 AM

What do ye think?

Why is it quite obvious?

Am I wrong?
Absolutely. Born and raised a Catholic, still a Catholic I suppose, though these days I'm a Christmas and special occasions mass attender only. Will be making a few more appearances than usual this year, as the wee lad is being confirmed and the school has a few pre event masses planned.

Ach, sure I'm one myself !!!!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Hardy

When did we start vetting people's religions on this board? Is that what we're about now?

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Hardy on January 15, 2009, 10:17:15 AM
When did we start vetting people's religions on this board? Is that what we're about now?

As a Seventh Day Adventist I can see it's a cold, cold house here.

/Jim.

ardmhachaabu

As far as I can see, no-one is vetting anyone.  A contributor to the board is being called on what most of us see as his lies.  That's all, nothing more, nothing less.

Tonto

I thought it was what the GAA were always about?

;)