Ogra Sinn Fein and their Commemoration at Narrow Water

Started by DownFanatic, January 08, 2009, 07:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 11, 2009, 04:59:37 AM
I'd say it would be down to individual perception. Could you imagine the reaction if he organised a tour taking people around places like Loughgall police station?
You could accuse Willie of almost anything and you would probably have a case.

In general, people worry about other peoples feelings too much.
The Loughall ambush was fair game and carried out within the rules of War. Soldiers ambushed soldiers.
The IRA unit operated like soldiers and would have been mad if they did not expect to be shot on sight in the middle of an operation.
If I was passing by Loughgall I would be curious to be told how the ambush evolved.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 11, 2009, 12:41:20 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 10, 2009, 01:49:17 PM
Quote from: Minder on January 10, 2009, 09:17:23 AM
In a press release Ogra Shinn Fein spokesperson Fra Cochrane likened Irish people to Palestinians in "Gazza"..............

Mother of God. Does the man have no shame?
not quite sure of what your point is

if you are questioning the validity of likening palestinian plight to the oppressed Irish prior to GFA/ceasefire - then you (as usual ) are wong and dont know your historhas been pointed out to you by a few on here already.
If it was meant in the current day context, then I'd be surprised

however these are only similar on the surface. The israel /palestine situation is different to what we had here since even before the plantation of the six counties.
Coercion/oppression/apartheid/effective genocide etc was a one way street with Irish/catholics taking the full force of hatred and victimisation in the face.
Are you a recent immigrant to this country or something?

You're right, of course. I'd forgotten those days on the Falls Road when we had to shelter from the RAF fighter planes which strafed the place from morning to night. Then the shelling...God I thought it would never stop. Then the tanks rolled in, blasting everything in sight. The worst was when they started firing on the kids sheltering inthe grounds of the hospital.

Don't understand why all that slipped my mind. Old age, I suppose.

Main Street

It's far more obvious that you didn't take the few seconds to read and comprehend Lynchboys post.

"If it was meant in the current day context, then I'd be surprised"
"however these are only similar on the surface. The israel /palestine situation is different to what we had here since even before the plantation of the six counties."

Old age is no excuse, Lynchboy can testify to that his faculties are unaffected by the passage of time and abuse  ;D

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Main Street on January 11, 2009, 04:40:29 PM
It's far more obvious that you didn't take the few seconds to read and comprehend Lynchboys post.

"however these are only similar on the surface. The israel /palestine situation is different to what we had here since even before the plantation of the six counties."

Old age is no excuse, Lynchboy can testify to that his faculties are unaffected by the passage of time and abuse  ;D

With respect, I think it's you who hasn't read the post properly. Lynchbhoy wrote: 'if you are questioning the validity of likening palestinian plight to the oppressed Irish prior to GFA/ceasefire - then you (as usual ) are wong and dont know your historhas been pointed out to you by a few on here already.' In other words, prior to the GFA in 1998 (1980's? 1970's?), he feels the comparison between the Israel / Palestine conflict and our own is valid. I'm just pointing out that in no way is such a comparison justified, and the pathetic attempts by republicans to link their cause to the plight of the Palestinians is actually offensive, as it belittles what those in Gaza are going through.

MW

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 11, 2009, 12:36:15 PM
also auswitz (sp) is the worst of the worst but prob draws the largest audience of people - are they celebrating the death of jews?

What a silly, silly thing to say. People who visit Auschwitz generally go there in the spirit that this what took place there was barbaric and horrific, and that the perpetrators were evil.

MW

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 10, 2009, 11:48:27 AM
But it's a historical tour. 
There's historical tours everywhere about everything.  There's even a Jack the Ripper tour in London (I wanted to go on it when I was there but ran out of time).  A major event happened there, what is the issue?

Hmm, do you think it's organised by (retrospective) Jack-the-Ripper-had-it-right enthusiasts? ::)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: MW on January 11, 2009, 06:30:53 PM
There's historical tours everywhere about everything.  There's even a Jack the Ripper tour in London (I wanted to go on it when I was there but ran out of time).  A major event happened there, what is the issue?

Hmm, do you think it's organised by (retrospective) Jack-the-Ripper-had-it-right enthusiasts? ::)
I wouldnt think so but judging my you lot if you go on a tour of anything you're celebrating what happened there.
I'm not lover of sinn fein, particularly not at this moment in time, but any objection to this is just pure daft. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

MW

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 11, 2009, 06:57:21 PM
Quote from: MW on January 11, 2009, 06:30:53 PM

I wouldnt think so but judging my you lot if you go on a tour of anything you're celebrating what happened there.
I'm not lover of sinn fein, particularly not at this moment in time, but any objection to this is just pure daft. 

"You lot"? ???

I've no real desire to get into a debate on this, but you're not trying very hard to actually understand why there are objections if you can't see why a tour organised by retrospective supporters of the killers might cause some people to object.

Main Street

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 11, 2009, 05:09:30 PM

With respect, I think it's you who hasn't read the post properly. Lynchbhoy wrote: 'if you are questioning the validity of likening palestinian plight to the oppressed Irish prior to GFA/ceasefire - then you (as usual ) are wong and dont know your historhas been pointed out to you by a few on here already.' In other words, prior to the GFA in 1998 (1980's? 1970's?), he feels the comparison between the Israel / Palestine conflict and our own is valid. I'm just pointing out that in no way is such a comparison justified, and the pathetic attempts by republicans to link their cause to the plight of the Palestinians is actually offensive, as it belittles what those in Gaza are going through.

I have to agree with you, it must be your old age dementia getting through the brick walls that somehow prevents you from reading his whole post.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Main Street on January 11, 2009, 09:54:46 PM

I have to agree with you, it must be your old age dementia getting through the brick walls that somehow prevents you from reading his whole post.
Rather than the two of us bickering about what he said or didn't say, why don't we wait for Lynchbhoy to clarify his position himself?

(old age dementia getting through the brick walls?? Is English your first language?) 

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 11, 2009, 10:03:45 PM

Rather than the two of us bickering about what he said or didn't say, why don't we wait for Lynchbhoy to clarify his position himself?

(old age dementia getting through the brick walls?? Is English your first language?) 

is english your first language ?  :D
OK maybe I was unclear.

I said
if you are questioning the validity of likening palestinian plight to the oppressed Irish prior to GFA/ceasefire - then you (as usual ) are wong and dont know your historhas been pointed out to you by a few on here already.
there is a common oppression between the pali's now and what had happened our oppressed people ...so thats a similarity yes...
however I added
because , unless you have forgotten, a ceasefire has broken out and the gfa has been kind of implemented.
but to complete what I said
however these are only similar on the surface. The israel /palestine situation is different to what we had here since even before the plantation of the six counties.if you are questioning the validity of likening palestinian plight to the oppressed Irish prior to GFA/ceasefire - then you (as usual ) are wrong and dont know your history rhas been pointed out to you by a few on here already.
this was in relation stating that imo the scenario in the six counties and Ireland was NOT the same as the pali's/israeli's find themselves in right now.

now can you 'clarify' why you reckon whatever this priest said required your 'question' asking 'does this man have no shame' - why , please explain

also can you not accept that people take tours around the places as I have mentioned, and while I wouldnt be touring around narrow water, if this was stopped, then all orange marches shoud be likewise, plus close down the battle of the boyne site etc etc (which I think is a great historic place of interest and the country needs more of these  - from older times though not recent - though in time these places of interest will hail from the 35 years war and some become tourist attractions like kilmaighnam jail in dublin)

Main Street

Lynchboy, you sound like one of those tourists in a foreign land repeating themselves in a slower louder voice to a local, optimistically hoping for more understanding ;D

Though I couldn't imagine the Brits falling for one one of those exchanges, a few bones for a thousand prisoners please, thank you very much.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on January 12, 2009, 12:22:15 PM
Lynchboy, you sound like one of those tourists in a foreign land repeating themselves in a slower louder voice to a local, optimistically hoping for more understanding ;D

Though I couldn't imagine the Brits falling for one one of those exchanges, a few bones for a thousand prisoners please, thank you very much.

I know , its hard to discuss when the other person only half knows the subject material !
However I can see why people might be 'offended' by this, though its more of a 'want' to be offended that traverses both communities and seems to create some very sensitive people on both sides !

as for the exchange of bones or prisoners, think the British army has shown throughout its history regarding their own soldiers - that once they fall, yer on your own and the army command would have the rest of the forces trample over you rather than help or leave you if you are captured.

ziggysego

Quote from: armaghniac on January 08, 2009, 08:26:45 PM
This painting of postboxes is nonsense. SF would be better to get a policy of ensuring that sending a letter to other parts of Ireland did not cost more than sending one to Britain.

There has been most movement in this area and there is speculation that Royal Mail will soon be announcing the small tariff to post mail to the south, as it is across the north and UK.
Testing Accessibility

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 12, 2009, 10:42:39 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on January 11, 2009, 10:03:45 PM

is english your first language ?  :D
OK maybe I was unclear.

I said
there is a common oppression between the pali's now and what had happened our oppressed people ...so thats a similarity yes...
however I added
because , unless you have forgotten, a ceasefire has broken out and the gfa has been kind of implemented.
but to complete what I said
however these are only similar on the surface. The israel /palestine situation is different to what we had here since even before the plantation of the six counties.if you are questioning the validity of likening palestinian plight to the oppressed Irish prior to GFA/ceasefire - then you (as usual ) are wrong and dont know your history rhas been pointed out to you by a few on here already.
this was in relation stating that imo the scenario in the six counties and Ireland was NOT the same as the pali's/israeli's find themselves in right now.

now can you 'clarify' why you reckon whatever this priest said required your 'question' asking 'does this man have no shame' - why , please explain

also can you not accept that people take tours around the places as I have mentioned, and while I wouldnt be touring around narrow water, if this was stopped, then all orange marches shoud be likewise, plus close down the battle of the boyne site etc etc (which I think is a great historic place of interest and the country needs more of these  - from older times though not recent - though in time these places of interest will hail from the 35 years war and some become tourist attractions like kilmaighnam jail in dublin)
Thank you for clarifying. You draw a distinction between the conflict here pre and post ceasefire, and pre ceasefire you think it a valid comparison with Israel  / Palestine. If you're talking about the decades immediately before the ceasefire, then I still think you're talking nonsense. I'd also be interested in what you think are the dramatic changes post ceasefire which have so significantly altered the circumstances of the 'oppressed' Irish people.

I didn't realise Fra Cochrane was a priest. If he is, more shame on him. My point is that comparing the Irish situation of the past few decades with the current plight of the Palestinians, is an insult to the Palestinian people. The level of hardship, suffering and death they're enduring now far outweighs anything we went through these past 40 years, even in the darkest days.