Wedding Receptions?

Started by Fíor Gael, January 05, 2009, 03:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T O Hare

Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 05, 2009, 04:03:52 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on January 05, 2009, 03:35:56 PM
Quote from: Fíor Gael on January 05, 2009, 03:07:06 PM
Myself and the better half had planned (and provisionally booked with deposit paid) to get married in a fine hotel just across the border in the free state in July 2010, but the way the euro has went is causing me sleepless nights and I think it'd be better to try and get my deposit back and book somewhere in the north. Any suggestions on good venues within a 30mile radius of Banbridge? (not the canal court as its already booked out)

I know exactly where youre coming from, Im getting hitched in July coming over the border and its driving me f**king mad, for starters i dont know your hotel but i would nearly bet my life you wont get your deposit back, and secondly as someone has already stated the pound should have pulled itself together by then

maybe its a bit far for you, but the Glenavon in Cookstown is now a 4 star, you could try them if you still wanted to change
I have a good way to get your deposit back...
When our date was changed and we wanted a diff venue (had booked slieve russell) - they wouldnt give the deposit back.
So I simply said, thats ok, as the parents 35th wedding anniversary was around the same time (I lied  :o), I'll have a wee party for them on that date instead.
They asked me how many for, I said - approx 20 - 30 people, buffet food job.
BUT...if they found someone else looking for that date, I'd be most likely willing to give up that date for them instead and hold the 'wee anniversary reception' elsewhere ...as long as I got the deposit back.

A week later(maybe less) I got a call from them saying that if I was willing to accept the deposit back, they had someone else looking for the same date...
so I got my money back ! :)

the loss in revenue from a 150 person wedding down to a 20-30 buffet event was something they didnt want to turn down...so I suggest you do likewise and get your hard earned cash back.

only potential problem may be that there may be some stipulation that you must have a wedding reception and only a wedding reception, in this case, I'd tell them that your guest list is down to 30 people (as there is a alternative wedding on the same day/ or youve fallen out with all of her family/inlaws etc !

best of luck !
:)

:) :) ;D ;D
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on January 05, 2009, 04:23:15 PM
For God's sake lads have a bit of sense and cancel these expensive bashes. It's madness at the best of times to spend a small fortune at a time when you can least afford it just to satisfy a girl's (and her mother's) media, advertising and Hollywood-fuelled fantasy to be princess for a day. In the throes of the worst depression in modern history it simply makes no sense at all.

Now is your chance to make her see sense. "We're starting out together in hard times. We have to be sensible for the sake of our future, our kids, etc. If course I love you - that's why I want us to have the  best possible opportunity of surviving these bad times. Just a dinner for family and we'll have a good session in the pub for all the friends - we'll even buy a round or two".

A six-figure sum saved instead of squandered. You know it makes sense.
I agree hardy, I honestly have no idea what people be thinking wiht these weddings, big room full of people they hardly know or dont like, most of those people don't even want to be there either.  I just don't get it. 
Is it the presents people look for or just the show?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 05, 2009, 07:25:12 PM
For God's sake lads have a bit of sense and cancel these expensive bashes. It's madness at the best of times to spend a small fortune at a time when you can least afford it just to satisfy a girl's (and her mother's) media, advertising and Hollywood-fuelled fantasy to be princess for a day. In the throes of the worst depression in modern history it simply makes no sense at all.

Now is your chance to make her see sense. "We're starting out together in hard times. We have to be sensible for the sake of our future, our kids, etc. If course I love you - that's why I want us to have the  best possible opportunity of surviving these bad times. Just a dinner for family and we'll have a good session in the pub for all the friends - we'll even buy a round or two".

I agree hardy, I honestly have no idea what people be thinking wiht these weddings, big room full of people they hardly know or dont like, most of those people don't even want to be there either.  I just don't get it. 
I got married last year and had my brother, sisters, their respective spouses and children, my mother and her mother, father and sister.  Still cost me a few grand though
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Minder

I got married in October, had my mate, wifes sister, cousin at the chapel and then respective spouses for something to eat in Belfast City centre after the ceremony........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

longball

tough problem. i no a fella that lives near by that paid his deposit and had the same problem. hbe went back to the hotel and they were very obliging they need the business 2 remember that. they coverted his deposit at a fair rate and quoted the rest in stg.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

milltown row

talking shite again POG

you don't get it do you, girls grow up wanting the big occasion, lovely church nice car all the flowers the best venue, the brides mother also olves to get involved and arrange things. it's an event the us men don't understand but go along with.

i for one had a proper wedding, lavish arrangements, Belfast Castle and alll the stuff that went with it, 120 guests. loved every minute of it. remember its their main day

pintsofguinness

You'd a "proper wedding" with "lavish arrangements"  :D

The Real Laoislad

Couldn't agree more with ya pints.
I also can't understand anyone getting themselves into debt or even if they have the money spending a fortune..
Its only one day and you could be paying for it for a long long time..
I have spoken to a few people lately who all told me if they had the day again they would do it on a much smaller scale,i believe some bride and grooms get greedy and see it as a money making exercise.
Personally if I was getting married I would have it as small as I could,my immediate family and close friends are the only ones I would want there anyways,and hers too of course
I would then have a kick ass honeymoon in Australia for a month,I would certainly rather spend my money that way than feeding a load of people I hardly know and are gonna give out about something no matter what you do for them
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

QuoteI have spoken to a few people lately who all told me if they had the day again they would do it on a much smaller scale,i believe some bride and grooms get greedy and see it as a money making exercise.
Same here or it's for show, I can't decide which, maybe a bit of both. 

Our Nail Loney

How much money do people get from weddings then??

I don't have a clue really, I have not been at a wedding yet as a proper adult.

My friend recently got engaged though!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 05, 2009, 09:13:45 PM
QuoteI have spoken to a few people lately who all told me if they had the day again they would do it on a much smaller scale,i believe some bride and grooms get greedy and see it as a money making exercise.
Bit of both I'd say..
I know of one wedding where things really got out of hand,The mother of the Bride was even pushing for Doves to be released as they came out of the Church at the end  :D Thankfully that didn't happen
The Best man and Groomsmen had a Bentley for the day to drive them 3 miles to the Church then 2 miles to the Hotel  ::) I can understand the Bride and Groom having one maybe..But the best men and Grooms men? Could one of them not have drove them all himself?
They had Irish dancers preform some set at the gap between the band and the DJ  ::)
They had a lottery scratch card for everyone who attended the dinner  ::)
She had 5 bridesmaids and he had a equal number of best men/groomsmen
and the most unfortunate statistic of all...they broke up after 6 months of marriage and a Wedding bill of €50k still to be paid..

You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 05, 2009, 09:19:11 PM

Lucky you,I have been to about 40 in the last 5 years including 2 in Spain and 1 in Sweden
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 05, 2009, 09:20:51 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 05, 2009, 09:13:45 PM
Bit of both I'd say..
I know of one wedding where things really got out of hand,The mother of the Bride was even pushing for Doves to be released as they came out of the Church at the end  :D Thankfully that didn't happen
The Best man and Groomsmen had a Bentley for the day to drive them 3 miles to the Church then 2 miles to the Hotel  ::) I can understand the Bride and Groom having one maybe..But the best men and Grooms men? Could one of them not have drove them all himself?
They had Irish dancers preform some set at the gap between the band and the DJ  ::)
They had a lottery scratch card for everyone who attended the dinner  ::)
She had 5 bridesmaids and he had a equal number of best men/groomsmen
and the most unfortunate statistic of all...they broke up after 6 months of marriage and a Wedding bill of €50k still to be paid..

That is brilliant, serves the dicks right!

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 05, 2009, 09:23:14 PM

Lucky you,I have been to about 40 in the last 5 years including 2 in Spain and 1 in Sweden

Are you seriously expected to buy a present for each one?? For how much?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 05, 2009, 09:23:50 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on January 05, 2009, 09:23:14 PM

Are you seriously expected to buy a present for each one?? For how much?

About €150 for a friend,bit more for a cousin and much more for a brother or sister
You'll Never Walk Alone.