Christmas Bonus

Started by illdecide, December 19, 2008, 11:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

I just opened the cheque there to find nothing extra in it at all...raging i am. I would usually be first to confront the boss on an issue like this but i know how things are at the minute and wouldn't want to jeopardise my job or anything but when i started here 14 months ago the boss told me himself that there would be "2" bonuses a year and a yearly review of my salary... Obviously i was in here a year last month and no review!!!

What do ya reckon lads should i pull him in by the ears and tell him or sit tight and see how things go after Christmas...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

under the bar

Tell him you have a couple of stories his wife might be interested in hearing.........

the Deel Rover

Have you a contract stating that you would get 2 bonuses a year and a yearly reveiw illdecide? 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

EC Unique

FFS lads. Can you not see what is happening at present? The next 12 months will be a major struggle for alot of companies to stay afloat and keep people in jobs.. I think you should quit whinging about a bonus and just be glad you have an income!  ::) :-\

Tankie

A bonus is what its says 'a bonus' and if a company cannot afford to pay it well then you wont get it. Not too confident myself this year either!
Grand Slam Saturday!

illdecide

Quote from: EC Unique on December 19, 2008, 12:13:28 PM
FFS lads. Can you not see what is happening at present? The next 12 months will be a major struggle for alot of companies to stay afloat and keep people in jobs.. I think you should quit whinging about a bonus and just be glad you have an income!  ::) :-\

well thats why i'm asking you lot...I don't have it on my contract it was a verbal and i was only expecting something on the basis that he told me i'd get something when i started. I know the state the jobs market is at this minute in time thats why i haven't gone in and confronted him on the issue as i certainly wouldn't want to be unemployed...

illdecide

Quote from: Tankie on December 19, 2008, 12:20:36 PM
A bonus is what its says 'a bonus' and if a company cannot afford to pay it well then you wont get it. Not too confident myself this year either!

If thats the case then thats fine, but he could at least say "I know i promised you a bonus but due to the current situation i cannot afford to give you one" then i'd say fair enough...

bennydorano

Quote from: EC Unique on December 19, 2008, 12:13:28 PM
Funny, I read an article during the week which was basically saying that we can expect to see a some companies chancing their arms with bonuses - because of the general situation, they reckon people might be afraid of opening their bakes if they dont get one.  

Depends on your industry and how it's being effected I suppose - if you work in the banking sector you'd have a bit of a cheek.

Minder

My ma works in a nursing home and they usually get a few quid extra at Christmas but got a note in her pay packet yesterday saying "due to the current financial climate we are unable to give cash bonuses this year but we are giving each member of staff a fruit basket"...........I believe the steam is still coming from her ears.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

red hander

Our bosses have just instigated a pay freeze, thus they are failing to honour the third year of a three-year pay deal.  Surely this is a breach of contract?  Any lawyers out there can advise? It would be much appreciated

Onion Bag

Im pretty much in the same boat, supposed to get a couple of bonuses a year, opened up the slip and feck all extra in it, to be honest i wasnt expecting anything this year given the current climate. So im just going to sit tight and say f**k all, we had 2 rounds of redundancies this year, so i should be lucky i still have a job never mind a xmas bonus
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: red hander on December 19, 2008, 12:27:51 PM
Our bosses have just instigated a pay freeze, thus they are failing to honour the third year of a three-year pay deal.  Surely this is a breach of contract?  Any lawyers out there can advise? It would be much appreciated

I really believe there are people in the work force that would rather see their company go under than take a pay freeze..get f**king real.........muppets!!

Bacon

Christmas Bonus is a thing of the past.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009

man in black

Quote from: Minder on December 19, 2008, 12:27:36 PM
due to the current financial climate we are unable to give cash bonuses this year but we are giving each member of staff a fruit basket"..........

Its all gone pear shaped.
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

quit yo jibbajabba

sour grapes if you ask me..................