Best gaelic football players from the weaker counties over the last 25 years?

Started by Smell the glove, December 02, 2008, 01:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Smell the glove on December 02, 2008, 02:29:16 PM
Why do you have Wexford and Fermanagh in your list who have reached all ireland semi finals but not Derry or Donegal who have got no further in the last 10 years ?

In last 10 years Derry have been in 3 AISF's, won 2 NFL's and been in more AIQF's than both Wexford and Fermanagh. Donegal well I'll let you have them as a weaker county if you like but in the grand scheme of things they wouldn't be perceived as weaker than Wexford or Fermanagh.

Doire abú

Quote from: Smell the glove on December 02, 2008, 02:25:42 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 02, 2008, 02:03:04 PM
Ya can feck off calling some of them counties 'weaker counties'! Are you trying to make a late surge for the shit stirrer of the year award ;)

Only Browne and O'Hara really qualify. Anyone that has reached an All-Ireland semi-final can't be that weak. Kevin O'Brien would have to get a mention too
Most teams if they get a good draw can reach and all ireland semi final or finalTeams like Kerry.Even winning one all ireland can be fluked on a good year like Donegal and Derry.,Galway,Meath and Down had players good enough to win more than one all ireland in three or four years.

Not stirring.

Aye not stirring.   ::) ::) ::) ::)

So by your definition Armagh, who have won an All-Ireland Senior and U21, a National League and seven Ulster Championships in the last 10 years are a weaker county? Catch a fuckin grip man.

Smell the glove

Quote from: screenexile on December 02, 2008, 02:39:51 PM
Why do you have Wexford and Fermanagh in your list who have reached all ireland semi finals but not Derry or Donegal who have got no further in the last 10 years ?

In last 10 years Derry have been in 3 AISF's, won 2 NFL's and been in more AIQF's than both Wexford and Fermanagh. Donegal well I'll let you have them as a weaker county if you like but in the grand scheme of things they wouldn't be perceived as weaker than Wexford or Fermanagh.
All that means is that Derry cant make a serious challenge.Many counties could have a championship record like derry if they pulled themselves together.Also few teams take the NFL seriously so it cant count.Do Kerry and Tyrone brag about their NFL records from this decade?

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

SidelineKick

Quote from: Smell the glove on December 02, 2008, 02:45:00 PM

All that means is that Derry cant make a serious challenge.Many counties could have a championship record like derry if they pulled themselves together.Also few teams take the NFL seriously so it cant count.Do Kerry and Tyrone brag about their NFL records from this decade?

Could could could could could  ::)

They dont brag no, I also dont think exile is bragging simply stating the facts.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Smell the glove

Quote from: Doire abú on December 02, 2008, 02:41:35 PM
Quote from: Smell the glove on December 02, 2008, 02:25:42 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on December 02, 2008, 02:03:04 PM
Ya can feck off calling some of them counties 'weaker counties'! Are you trying to make a late surge for the shit stirrer of the year award ;)

Only Browne and O'Hara really qualify. Anyone that has reached an All-Ireland semi-final can't be that weak. Kevin O'Brien would have to get a mention too
Most teams if they get a good draw can reach and all ireland semi final or finalTeams like Kerry.Even winning one all ireland can be fluked on a good year like Donegal and Derry.,Galway,Meath and Down had players good enough to win more than one all ireland in three or four years.

Not stirring.

Aye not stirring.   ::) ::) ::) ::)

So by your definition Armagh, who have won an All-Ireland Senior and U21, a National League and seven Ulster Championships in the last 10 years are a weaker county? Catch a fuckin grip man.

The Armagh team that won the senior all ireland were a good team but any weaker county can get a good team together at times that can win one all ireland like Derry,Donegal or Dublin.NFL doesnt count and provincial championships have not counted since 2001.Do you think brian dooher when he lifted Sam thought it was the ulster title he really wanted?

Non weaker counties worry only about Sam Maguire.Armagh are a weaker county.

Smell the glove

Quote from: SidelineKick on December 02, 2008, 02:50:06 PM

They dont brag no, I also dont think exile is bragging simply stating the facts.
screenexile states incorrect facts,Derry have only reached two semi finals in the last ten all irelands.
Real facts are that many derry supporters are deluding themselves when the county team has done f**k all since 1993.

screenexile

You asked me why Derry are considered better than Fermanagh or Wexford over the last 10 years and I've explained why... oh and we also won an Ulster Championship in that time compared to Fermanagh having never won an Ulster and Wexford's last provincial success being over 60 years ago.

As for 'many counties could have a championship record like Derry if they pulled themselves together'. It's probably the most ridiculous statement I've ever read on this board. Sure Tipperary could have a record like Kerry's if they 'pulled themselves together' what's your point?

Your definition of a weaker county is a bit farcical in that there is only one prize up for grabs between 32 teams each year so saying that there have only been 6 strong counties in the last 25 years just isn't correct in any normal persons terms. Yes have a debate about what constitutes a weaker county but you're definition is madness.

screenexile

Quote from: Smell the glove on December 02, 2008, 02:55:34 PM

screenexile states incorrect facts,Derry have only reached two semi finals in the last ten all irelands.
Real facts are that many derry supporters are deluding themselves when the county team has done f**k all since 1993.

WRONG!

1998 beat by Galway
2001 Beat by Galway
2004 Beat by Kerry

Onion Bag

Quote from: Smell the glove on December 02, 2008, 02:52:18 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on December 02, 2008, 02:47:25 PM
Steven O Neill - Tyrone
Tyrone not a weaker county.

Dont know smell the glove, i mean like 3 all irelands in 25 years its not exactly brilliant,

I think we would have to put them in the weaker county bracket also,

25 years is a long time
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

GalwayBayBoy

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: screenexile on December 02, 2008, 02:08:40 PM
Weaker Counties (of last 10 years say)...

Leitrim
Sligo
Clare
Waterford
Wexford
Fermanagh
Antrim
Wicklow
Carlow
Limerick
Roscommon
Cavan
Tipperary
Louth
Longford
Offaly
Down
London
New York

There would have been a time not too long ago when we would have been heading that list, progress of sorts...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Smell the glove

Quote from: screenexile on December 02, 2008, 02:57:28 PM
Quote from: Smell the glove on December 02, 2008, 02:55:34 PM

WRONG!

1998 beat by Galway
2001 Beat by Galway
2004 Beat by Kerry
Last ten all ireland championships are 1999,2000,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005,2006,2007 and 2008.

I wait for your apology.

screenexile

:D :D :D :D :D

You can keep waiting if you think I'm apologising for that... you seem to think I've hijacked this thread to proclaim Derry as the best team in the land. We're far from it I'm just saying that we are far from being a 'weaker' County!