Is Roy Keane a good manager?

yes
24 (46.2%)
no
28 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 30, 2008, 10:38:44 PM
Quoteover the bar and all others who knock Rafa's transfer dealings.
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/NG161593081006-1421.htm

The author of that pile of sh*te will be convincing you Dossena is the the new Ronaldo next.

Kleberson,Djemba Djemba,Massimo Taibi,Mark Bosnich,Veron,Jordi Cruyff,Bellion were all excellent United players.... ::)
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Minder

I have never heard of a left back being compared to an attacking player. Probably too early to say about Keanes prowess as a manager,you United fans will know Whiskey nose didnt have a great start to his United days. Though a manager will never get that amount of time again.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Leo

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 29, 2008, 11:25:41 PM

Do you really think he'll be shown the gate?
I don't to be honest I think even if they are relegated if he hasn't walked by then he will be asked to stay on..
I don't buy into this argument that players won't go to Sunderland because of the type of area it is..
I just think he has made some serious errors of judgement on players,as i admit all managers do but I do think Keane has made some awful mistakes in the transfer market..
He has as you said payed over the top for players but its one thing paying over the top and another paying over the top for a dud..
Portsmouth have shown there are loads of players around Europe that can be bought to form a good team on a small budget..

Best quote on here Laoislad but I do think he will get the sack (or huff off before it falls).
Bolton have also shown shrewd judgment in the transfer market.
Fact is Sunderland spent €58m to get into the Premiership and another €40m since then and will get relegated. These hard facts don't sit well with the brain-washed Irsh "fans" of Sunderland who refuse to believe that not only is Keane a mere mortal but quite a limited one at that.
Fierce tame altogether

anglocelt39

Good old Roy gave a lot of hostages to fortune in the past with some of his knowledgable pronouncements on the lack of managerial ability of people he played under, at international level at least. He knew a fair bit as well as to why certain people were't producing it on the pitch. Now, three years and countless millons later it looks like there's more to this management caper than our hero reckoned.

Quite a good chance he will either walk/be pushed if results do not turn, particularly with new owners on board. If he does, I'm sure there are a few people out there who would take the Oscar Wilde view........"would take a heart of stone not to piss yourself laughing (or words to that effect)".....................
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

mylestheslasher

A manager should be judged on his record.

year 1 target - stabilise the club after dismal start to League championship.
Year 1 result - Gets promoted

Year 2 target - maintain premier league status
year 2 result - maintains it with a game or two to spare

year 3 target (a guess) - Finish mid table

So things have not gone great this year for Keane but I think he has done a very good job there and deserves a few more months. Even the great harry Redknapp has been involved in a relegation scrap or two.

AZOffaly

Don't be backpeddling now :D That's the title she 'has chosen to use', or maybe you'd get away with 'Her Majesty' instead.

T Fearon

Its great to see the Langer struggling and Mc Carthy doing so well at Wolves. I'd love Keane to stay and take Sunderland down to be replaced by Wolves. Mc Carthy's ultimate revenge for Saipan.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: T Fearon on December 01, 2008, 04:11:41 PM
Its great to see the Langer struggling and Mc Carthy doing so well at Wolves. I'd love Keane to stay and take Sunderland down to be replaced by Wolves. Mc Carthy's ultimate revenge for Saipan.

Mc Carthy's ultimate revenge for sending Keano home??? Bizarre comment, even by your standards Tony...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Main Street

Mick McCarthy is ever the gentleman and beyond those sentiments.

Mick knows that even if promoted he would be favourite to come straight back down again.

Leo

Quote from: Main Street on December 01, 2008, 04:53:04 PM

Mick knows that even if promoted he would be favourite to come straight back down again.

Having met Mick McCarthy a number of times, I can vouch for that.
The son of a proud Irishman who had moved to England to fins work in the mines and who brought up his family with a real Irish ethic and appreciation of Irish culture. Mick himself experienced work in the mines and, when he got the chance, made the very most of his own talents, which were not as expansive as those of many more natural footballers but at every club, and for Ireland, he gave his absolute best EVERY time.
Long before the Ireland job he had a holiday home in Galway where I met him first. He kept a low profile, always with his family, very dignified - and good humoured. I was ashamed the treatment so-called Irish fans meted out to him after Saipan (where we ONLY reached the QF of the World Cup!!) and subsequently it turned very sour for him amd his family, but the way he dealt with that is a measure of the man.
At Sunderland he was given NO money (let alone €90m or so) and got them promoted but without funds had no hope of really competing. He has now brought the youngest team in the Champuionship (again on a negligble budget) to a commanding position in the league and playing exciting football, worth watching on a Sunday morning on UTV.
He will take no pleasure in Keane faltering; that's not his style.
Fierce tame altogether

Minus15

I was ashamed the treatment so-called Irish fans meted out to him after Saipan (where we ONLY reached the QF of the World Cup!!)

Second Round we reached Leo

dodo

Quote from: Leo on December 01, 2008, 05:03:36 PM
Quote from: Main Street on December 01, 2008, 04:53:04 PM

Having met Mick McCarthy a number of times, I can vouch for that.
The son of a proud Irishman who had moved to England to fins work in the mines and who brought up his family with a real Irish ethic and appreciation of Irish culture. Mick himself experienced work in the mines and, when he got the chance, made the very most of his own talents, which were not as expansive as those of many more natural footballers but at every club, and for Ireland, he gave his absolute best EVERY time.
Long before the Ireland job he had a holiday home in Galway where I met him first. He kept a low profile, always with his family, very dignified - and good humoured. I was ashamed the treatment so-called Irish fans meted out to him after Saipan (where we ONLY reached the QF of the World Cup!!) and subsequently it turned very sour for him amd his family, but the way he dealt with that is a measure of the man.
At Sunderland he was given NO money (let alone €90m or so) and got them promoted but without funds had no hope of really competing. He has now brought the youngest team in the Champuionship (again on a negligble budget) to a commanding position in the league and playing exciting football, worth watching on a Sunday morning on UTV.
He will take no pleasure in Keane faltering; that's not his style.

Good post and best summation in my opinion. An ex work colleague of mine had a working relationship with McCarthy and would back up what Leo has said about his character.

Doogie Browser

Look who has joined the posse now, shocked it has taken him so long to be honest...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7759767.stm

Main Street

"Keane has lost the plot"  ... 'because he started to believe the myth spun about him'.
(in other words the same bull myth that Eamonn fabricated).

How many times did Dunphy contradict himself in the same interview?

Leo

While much of Dunphy's pontification is self-serving he does make a key observation about Sunderland, namely "that whole project ids doomed". On that basis, Keane will walk away from it. Even Dunphy concurs that his transfer dealings have been ludicrous. As a premiership manager with a huge pot of money to have ended up with one of the biggest squads in the league (horrendous wage bill) but so poor in quality is a damning verdict on his ability.
He likes walking the dogs and that is where he has taken this club.
Fierce tame altogether