All Ireland Club Hurling Championship

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 20, 2008, 11:23:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

They did. Beat St. Rynaghs of Offaly (gulp) after a replay.

Buswhacker

AZOffaly

Loughiel have to be favourites for this. An experienced team, with the weight of history behind them as well. Coolderry will be up against it on the day.

Buswhacker

The bookies don't make LG  favourites. But then they were wrong last Saturday.

Canalman

Quote from: Buswhacker on February 14, 2012, 12:36:17 PM

The odds I thought for last Saturday were quiet close to each other. Had a quick look and although I can't remember the exact details I can recollect that there was not much in it.

Parnell Park is a very tight pitch which I thought really suited LS............. CP I think will suit the Offaly lads better imvho.

Milltown Row2

1/3 for NP 5/2 loughgiel.

Similar odds again I think
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Bookies are looking at Antrim v Offaly. (and forgetting 1989). This is an experienced Loughgiel team against a raw enough Coolderry outfit, and a Loughgiel team that dismantled a fancied Na Piarsaigh side.

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2012, 12:24:01 PM
Loughiel have to be favourites for this. An experienced team, with the weight of history behind them as well. Coolderry will be up against it on the day.
Who are you trying to kid AZ?   ;)

Coolderry are big favourites, and rightly so. They've played much tougher teams to get here and are, of course, Leinster champions. That alone makes them favourites. The bookies don't get it wrong too often.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2012, 12:52:31 PM

Bookies are looking at Antrim v Offaly. (and forgetting 1989). This is an experienced Loughgiel team against a raw enough Coolderry outfit, and a Loughgiel team that dismantled a fancied Na Piarsaigh side.

You're starting to sound like BC1!!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

camanchero

looking forward to this game. Two free scoring teams. LG are a great side, but as mentioned Coolderry have been impressive this season so far and taken out some great teams.

Minder

Quote from: camanchero on February 15, 2012, 01:13:10 PM
looking forward to this game. Two free scoring teams. LG are a great side, but as mentioned Coolderry have been impressive this season so far and taken out some great teams.

Steady.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Lone Shark

Bookies are making Coolderry the 2.5 point favourites - Loughgiel favourites on the bookies going +3, Coolderry favourites on the ones going +2. I think that's a little kind to Coolderry myself, I'd say 1.5 would be nearer the mark, maybe 2 at a push.

The only thing I will say is that Coolderry for the last five years have always had great hurlers, but never really had the self belief - they are a completely different outfit since beating Birr, it has absolutely transformed them They're hurling with real confidence now and it just shows the psychological hold that their "town" neighbours had over them.

But anyone trying to say that Coolderry are "big" favourites is clearly on a PR campaign. No logical punter or bookie would see it that way. Both sides were comfortably the better team in their All Ireland semi final matches and neither side is coming in with an advantage in experience. I'm not sure I buy into the logic that Croke Park will necessarily suit Coolderry either. Like any club sides, Coolderry have their share of young forwards who like space (Ryan, Parlon) but they also have plenty of hardy hurlers who would prefer to do their hurling at close range as well. Croke Park suits good hurling, and these are two good teams who'll be happy to play there.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Lone Shark on February 20, 2012, 10:06:27 PM
The only thing I will say is that Coolderry for the last five years have always had great hurlers, but never really had the self belief - they are a completely different outfit since beating Birr, it has absolutely transformed them They're hurling with real confidence now and it just shows the psychological hold that their "town" neighbours had over them.
Two words:
Ken Hogan.

Milltown Row2

Ye heard that Ken has done real well with changing their attitude, Birr I'm sure are a massive hurdle to get over and after that, the team can flourish. A bit like Loughgiel in Antrim, after so many final defeats they have reacted well and can hurl with more confidence.

Going to be a good final, that's for sure.

Sleeping giant

Hope so MR2, id take a real cracking game and after that, if they take there chances you never know.           Ken Hogan? would he of been playing for ryans in 83? or am i thinking of someone else?
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.