Once again.....Ireland's Call....

Started by balladmaker, November 20, 2008, 12:27:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balladmaker

Got this petition emailed to me today (no, I did not start it).  It did get me thinking about how ridiculous it is to have Ireland's Call played at away games, while the National Anthem is left at home on Irish soil.  I thought the whole idea was to avoid offending supporters from the north, but this works on the assumption that northern supporters do not travel to home games, but away games only.  It's a weird situation Ireland finds itself in and wide open for petitions such as the below:

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/irishanthem/

Tankie

The reason the national anthem is played at home games is due to the fact that the president or the government may be at the game (well thats the excuse anyway). can pleaple not just get over the Irelands call thing ffs!
Grand Slam Saturday!

J70

What is it about inclusiveness that these people do not understand? Are they impervious to logic?

Rav67

I'd rather have the anthem but Ireland's Call is a decent gesture to make to our unionist brethren

Main Street

Quote from: Tankie on November 20, 2008, 12:36:43 AM
The reason the national anthem is played at home games is due to the fact that the president or the government may be at the game (well thats the excuse anyway). can people not just get over the Irelands call thing ff!
It might help some to get over it if you wrote something sensible.
The anthem is played and the flag is flown because the game is played in the jurisdiction of the Republic.

When the president is there in an official capacity, a short version of the anthem is also played. That is the presidential salute, played in her honour.

Tonto

What a bunch of f**king idiots.

The Ireland rugby team is supposed to represent two jurisdictions on this island.

TORGAEL

So anyone who gives an opinion on something that differs from your opinion is an idiot then ?

pintsofguinness

What anthem do Northern Ireland use tonto? Aren't they meant to represent two traditions?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

mylestheslasher

And if there are two juristictions and so two anthems, how come only one gets played on away games - surely that is an insult to the majority juristiction.

For what its worth, I turn off the volume when that pathetic excuse of an anthem Irelands Call is played. It turns my stomach and does not represent me. I'd rather have no anthem than that.

under the bar

I reckon we should play this and it could become Ireland's own version of the Haka.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8s17QokoY

Whacker

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 20, 2008, 08:35:24 AM
And if there are two juristictions and so two anthems, how come only one gets played on away games - surely that is an insult to the majority juristiction.

For what its worth, I turn off the volume when that pathetic excuse of an anthem Irelands Call is played. It turns my stomach and does not represent me. I'd rather have no anthem than that.

You may as well play God Save the Queen as this pathetic excuse of an anthem!

mylestheslasher

Quote from: under the bar on November 20, 2008, 08:42:03 AM
I reckon we should play this and it could become Ireland's own version of the Haka.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr8s17QokoY

Jaysus, a blast from the past. I remember back in me youth, that lad came to the Carrick Springs nightclub in crosskeys to do his dance and there was nearly a riot as the women tried to grab him and the drunken men tried to dance better than him. He needed security to get him out of the place!

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Tankie

Quote from: Main Street on November 20, 2008, 01:25:18 AM
Quote from: Tankie on November 20, 2008, 12:36:43 AM
The reason the national anthem is played at home games is due to the fact that the president or the government may be at the game (well thats the excuse anyway). can people not just get over the Irelands call thing ff!
It might help some to get over it if you wrote something sensible.
The anthem is played and the flag is flown because the game is played in the jurisdiction of the Republic.

When the president is there in an official capacity, a short version of the anthem is also played. That is the presidential salute, played in her honour.

No your are incorrect, if that was the case they should have played GSTQ in Ravenhill last year as they were in NI. there is no obligation to play the national anthem in Ireland ahead of Irelands Call but it is seem as a compromise to play it in Ireland as it would upset too many people if it was not played!

Compromise Main Street, if the two traditions are ever to get on we will need more of it!!!!
Grand Slam Saturday!

brokencrossbar1

I have no problem with Ireland's Call, what I do have a problem  with, and I will be bringing it up with his teacher tomorrow in the Parent Teacher meeting, is the fact that my son was taught it, and not taught his National Anthem in school.  This was after last years meeting with his last teacher as part of a 6 Nations project they were doing in school.

Rebels, me hole >:(