what do you think? REFEREEING STANDARDS

Started by cadhlancian, November 16, 2008, 05:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadhlancian

I've always wondered , that for all the awful refereeing displays we have seen down through the years, how many people (players, coaches, supporters etc) actually believe that a Ref in a certain game , deliberately sets out to "wrong " their team? My answer in NO. I gave plenty of them dogs abuse :o over the years, but always knew at the back of my mine , that they were doing their best, and had probably made a genuine mistake........how do we feel?

pintsofguinness

No, I think some referees are cheats, plain and simple.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Like anything in life, a few give the rest a bad name. However in most games we attend, we look for want to see and 'miss' what we don't want to see.
Testing Accessibility

boojangles

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 16, 2008, 05:15:57 PM
Was just debating about referees on the Cavan thread during the week.Have to agree with Pints,some referees are cheats,some are just bad and some are just blind.Some of the best ones can be the worst especially when they are not doing Inter-County games,they think they are above Club games and end up making a balls of them.They also talk down their noses to players and never talk or explain decisions,something that really irritates me.

AbbeySider

Quote from: boojangles on November 16, 2008, 05:52:43 PM
Was just debating about referees on the Cavan thread during the week.Have to agree with Pints,some referees are cheats,some are just bad and some are just blind.Some of the best ones can be the worst especially when they are not doing Inter-County games,they think they are above Club games and end up making a balls of them.They also talk down their noses to players and never talk or explain decisions,something that really irritates me.

Some referees also turn against teams if they receive abuse from the sideline or players around them.
Id like to see some sort of council or watchdog or somewhere referees would be sanctioned and answerable to some of the decisions made.
Its plainly obvious when a referee goes against a team, it does happen. But referees are like judges, totally untouchable. Its very, very wrong.
They should be called into question when there is a clear case and there should be a clear complaints procedure.
They should also be auditors and examiners watching referees without their knowledge so that their true nature could be observed.
It would certainly improve refereeing and make them less biased.
Having said that the majority of referees are good. Some make mistakes and admit it on the pitch but are doing their best.
Others have a chip on their shoulder for some clubs and make it plainly obvious. 

AbbeySider

Its in the rules that the referee has to explain the decision when asked.
But then again there isnt exactly a complaints procedure that has any integrity so they can get away with whatever they like.

Owenmoresider

I'd agree with both posts quoted here. And some refs in Sligo could be considered for both scenarios too.

johnpower

Of course Refs are biased . I remember been on the side line at a club game a number of years back where one team of mentors were complaining like hell to the ref who as the game progressed went more against their team .Afterwards I was telling the umpire about the carry on and he told me that the ref hated both teams but made his mind up on the basis of which team pissed him off the least

Rick O Shea

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 16, 2008, 11:26:54 PM

But then again there isnt exactly a complaints procedure that has any integrity so they can get away with whatever they like.

Are you sure about that?  I think it would be a good idea but i don't think its in the rules.

The general response when a player asks "what the f*ck was that for?" is for the referee to move the ball forward  ;)

full back

What he said.........

AbbeySider

Quote from: Rick O Shea on November 17, 2008, 10:45:48 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on November 16, 2008, 11:26:54 PM

Are you sure about that?  I think it would be a good idea but i don't think its in the rules.

The general response when a player asks "what the f*ck was that for?" is for the referee to move the ball forward  ;)

yip im sure its in the rules.
Id say the ref could have brought it forward for decent and language but you are entitled to ask what he is giving the free for.
But ask politely.

I have witnessed referees giving frees against the players being fouled in possession, and then apologise after the free was taken.
At least some know when they make an honest mistake.  :-\

One thing that is a bit naff...
A Ref gives a penalty to one side, and then later gives one to the other team to "even it up".
Or sending off one player for a genuine reason, only to send someone off on the opposing team to "even it up"
That kind of stuff annoys me.

And another thing.
Bring a team back into a game when they are being well beaten.
be it by giving loads of frees or playing loads of extra time to make a scoreline more respectable.

I could go on forever. But are referees being pulled on this kind of thing? Should they be?

Request to starter of thread:
Change the title of the thread to put "Refereeing" in the title so people are aware of the thread.
There is Refs on the board that would be interested in the topic im sure.

orangeman

I agree but it would only be a TINY minority - I haven't come across too many but one or two spring to mind.

Farrandeelin

I think some refs can't ref games plain and simple and shouldn't be allowed to.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Billys Boots

The referee 'assessment' system is clearly not working if people like Gerry Kinneavy and Clown Coldrick are allowed to carry whistles around.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Canalman

Playing a long long time and can safely say that I/we were never maliciously "done" out of a game by the ref. Sometimes mind you by a partisan umpire but never the ref. Mistakes aplenty made by them (in my opinion) but never out of spite.

Once players stop making mistakes, then and only then can you expect a referee to be perfect.

Imo all a referee should do his best and  be  consistent and apply the rules without fear or favour.