what do you think? REFEREEING STANDARDS

Started by cadhlancian, November 16, 2008, 05:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boojangles

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 17, 2008, 04:57:01 PM
The referee 'assessment' system is clearly not working if people like Gerry Kinneavy and Clown Coldrick are allowed to carry whistles around.
John Bannon from Longford is the most biased p***k against Cavan I ever come across.He is a lucky man to be still walking after some of the decisions I seen that man give against us.If I had a pound for every time I heard the words 'BANNON YA BASTARD' at a Cavan game.I hate the man.I doubt he ever kicked a ball in his life( correct me if Im wrong)

Puckoon

Boojangles, reconcile these two statements here for me if you dont mind.

Quotedont care if its a Cavan Footballer or a Kerry footballer,this shit should never be brought to the media and whoever has highlighted it is f**king Low Lifer.This poor lad could be ruined over this if his name gets out,(which no doubt it will).Its a disgrace.
Amateurs expected to act as professionals in every way.

Quote from: boojangles on November 17, 2008, 08:56:05 PM
The referee 'assessment' system is clearly not working if people like Gerry Kinneavy and Clown Coldrick are allowed to carry whistles around.
John Bannon from Longford is the most biased p***k against Cavan I ever come across.He is a lucky man to be still walking after some of the decisions I seen that man give against us.If I had a pound for every time I heard the words 'BANNON YA b**tard' at a Cavan game.I hate the man.I doubt he ever kicked a ball in his life( correct me if Im wrong)

If you can, pay attention to the "f**king low lifer" and the part about a referee (an amateur) being lucky to still be walking.

boojangles

Quote from: Puckoon on November 17, 2008, 08:59:10 PM
Boojangles, reconcile these two statements here for me if you dont mind.

Quotedont care if its a Cavan Footballer or a Kerry footballer,this shit should never be brought to the media and whoever has highlighted it is f**king Low Lifer.This poor lad could be ruined over this if his name gets out,(which no doubt it will).Its a disgrace.
Amateurs expected to act as professionals in every way.

Quote from: boojangles on November 17, 2008, 08:56:05 PM
John Bannon from Longford is the most biased p***k against Cavan I ever come across.He is a lucky man to be still walking after some of the decisions I seen that man give against us.If I had a pound for every time I heard the words 'BANNON YA b**tard' at a Cavan game.I hate the man.I doubt he ever kicked a ball in his life( correct me if Im wrong)

If you can, pay attention to the "f**king low lifer" and the part about a referee (an amateur) being lucky to still be walking.
Whats the problem Puck? reconcile what. I made a point about a referee who I feel is very biased against my county.I didnt make any threat,just a general statement that he is lucky to be still walking.I didnt say that I would break his legs or did I encourage anybody else to break his legs.
What this comment has to do with the other one,I dont know?

Puckoon

Well Id take issue with the fact that you are vehemently protesting the innocence of someone accused of taking a banned substance (whether he is right or wrong, innocent or guilty will remain to be seen). On top of that you are claiming that anyone with a view to him being guilty, or indeed publicising the issue is a f**king low lifer with obvious concern for the future of this player as his name will be tarnished. You also mention that we expect professionalism from our amateur sportsmen.

Now Im inclined to agree with you however a few posts later on a thread about referees (again amateur) you seem to think it acceptable to accuse the man (whose name is not hidden the way the players name is hidden) on an annonymous public forum of being a cheat. Furthermore, according to you he is lucky he is still walking.

Personally I think an attitude like yours against a known amateur referee (and no matter how you dice it, your words concerning the fact that he is still walking are really not ok) is much more of a low life attitude than someone highlighting a player of our games failing a drug test.

Maybe they've highlighted it with a view to exposing how silly the tests really are when someone taking an inhaler can fail one?

boojangles

Quote from: Puckoon on November 17, 2008, 09:14:03 PM
Well Id take issue with the fact that you are vehemently protesting the innocence of someone accused of taking a banned substance (whether he is right or wrong, innocent or guilty will remain to be seen). On top of that you are claiming that anyone with a view to him being guilty, or indeed publicising the issue is a f**king low lifer with obvious concern for the future of this player as his name will be tarnished. You also mention that we expect professionalism from our amateur sportsmen.

Now Im inclined to agree with you however a few posts later on a thread about referees (again amateur) you seem to think it acceptable to accuse the man (whose name is not hidden the way the players name is hidden) on an annonymous public forum of being a cheat. Furthermore, according to you he is lucky he is still walking.

Personally I think an attitude like yours against a known amateur referee (and no matter how you dice it, your words concerning the fact that he is still walking are really not ok) is much more of a low life attitude than someone highlighting a player of our games failing a drug test.

Maybe they've highlighted it with a view to exposing how silly the tests really are when someone taking an inhaler can fail one?
Where have I vehementely protested the innocence of anybody?? I never said he was innocent.My point is that this story should never have been reported on until the full facts came out.The player in Question is an amateur.Contrary to Pints view he did not sign up for this drug-testing,the GAA did.It was more or less a directive from the Irish Sports Council.His name will probably be dragged through the mud and tarnished and it could turn out to be a simple mistake.As an Amateur player, do you think that is right?
As regards John Bannon,I stand by what I said,I never called him a cheat.I said he was biased against my county.He gets a fee for all of his games,so I wouldnt exactly call him an amateur.Inter-County Players are analysed and monitored to the last,why not referees?

boojangles

I know how ya feel AFS,Thank God we havent got him in a while.Touch Wood.

RMDrive

Quote from: boojangles on November 17, 2008, 09:56:06 PM
I know how ya feel AFS,Thank God we havent got him in a while.Touch Wood.

Don't really need to know what you are doing at the moment lad. Thanks anyway.
Bannon can be all over the shop at times all right. Don't think there are too many counties that would say he does them any favours though so maybe we are all in the same boat?

Billys Boots

QuoteI doubt he ever kicked a ball in his life( correct me if Im wrong)

He played football at school and for his club - I can confirm that.  No great shakes mind.  ;)

I don't think he's that bad really - have seen far worse (on Sunday for instance).  He tends to be a bit pernickity (if that's a word), and he's a bit lost reffing Ulster football, which doesn't really interpret the rules in the same way as the rest of us.  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

brokencrossbar1

Referees are like players, some good, some bad, all amateurs.  I have had my fair share of run ins with refs but I totally respect what they do and who they are.  The over analysis of everything through the media has put increased pressure on them as individuals and hampers their capability to manage the game sometimes.

I often have arguments with people who lay the blame at losing a game at the door of the referee.  I often notice that it is people who are involved in or support teams that don't win very much.   The more successful teams don't use it as an excuse as they prepare properly for the game and don't wait for the excuse of "shure the ref's a useless bastard!"  A ref can make decisions which will influence close games, but unless it is blatantly obvious that it was a wrong decision deliberately made, I generally give them the benefit of the doubt.  If your team is good enough, it will win 95% of the games it is expected to win.  The referee should only be a side issue.

RMDrive

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 18, 2008, 10:07:44 AM
Referees are like players, some good, some bad, all amateurs.  I have had my fair share of run ins with refs but I totally respect what they do and who they are.  The over analysis of everything through the media has put increased pressure on them as individuals and hampers their capability to manage the game sometimes.

I often have arguments with people who lay the blame at losing a game at the door of the referee.  I often notice that it is people who are involved in or support teams that don't win very much.   The more successful teams don't use it as an excuse as they prepare properly for the game and don't wait for the excuse of "shure the ref's a useless b**tard!"  A ref can make decisions which will influence close games, but unless it is blatantly obvious that it was a wrong decision deliberately made, I generally give them the benefit of the doubt.  If your team is good enough, it will win 95% of the games it is expected to win.  The referee should only be a side issue.

Well said

Lecale2

The referee has the easiest job in the Association and gets far too much credit for his input in my opinion.  Try it sometime.

milltown row

pog, your talking shite, as usual, anyway having played at all levels football and hurling i took up refereeing last year. i dislike all clubs bar my own. i could not give a dam who wins a match, means nothing to me. I'm sure most referees think the same.

what could maybe sway some referees is when arseholes on the line or players for that matter rant on and on and on. me? well i see a foul I'll blow. very hard to see all fouls committed. and some times you allow advantage and it doesn't work.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Genuinely believe that the vast majority of referees are honest. Some are more competent that others but I really don't think there are many who go out to beat a team on any particular day. I remember playing underage one day and the ref was warning us against giving him abuse and said that however many mistakes he made during the game the chances were that we'd make more playing. It was a fair point.

Of all the games, I've seent his year, I can't think of one where the result was affected by the referring.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

pintsofguinness

Quote from: milltown row on November 18, 2008, 10:43:07 PM
pog, your talking shite, as usual, anyway having played at all levels football and hurling i took up refereeing last year. i dislike all clubs bar my own. i could not give a dam who wins a match, means nothing to me. I'm sure most referees think the same.

what could maybe sway some referees is when arseholes on the line or players for that matter rant on and on and on. me? well i see a foul I'll blow. very hard to see all fouls committed. and some times you allow advantage and it doesn't work.
People have agreed with me on this thread or have said similar things to me, why are you crying about me talking shite? Why arent you accusing the others of talking shite?   ::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

witnof

Maybe this thread should start with a test on the rules to see how many of you actually know what you are talking about.

Usual bunch of clowns moaning.

Well lads if refs are so shite off you go and become one, you should all rise to the top quickly seeing than you are all experts ont eh subject matter.