Same Parish - Different County

Started by DownFanatic, November 13, 2008, 04:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewingedlady

Blacksnaghtertown is in Tyrone as well as Armagh. Sum uproar this year about their primary school putting up Tyrone bunting when the school serves a parish that encompasses Tyrone.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2008, 03:49:23 PM
There's a Cork/Kerry boundary around Rathmore, can't think of the club, but the club itself, as far as I know, is eligible to play for both Cork and Kerry. In the Munster Junior Final a couple of years ago, two clubmates, from the same town, were marking each other.

That might be Ballydesmond?  There are some serious family splits over there...you'd wonder how some of the Kerry/Cork marriages work at all.  Or maybe the GAA makes them stronger.

There's a thought...GAA as marriage counselling.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: ludermor on November 14, 2008, 02:57:12 PM
Fr Caseys ( Abbeyfeale Co. Limerick) pitch is in Co Kerry.

For a minute I was thinking the Shannon Estuary was in-between.

tierworker blue

Kilmainhamwood (Meath) and Moybolgue (Cavan)...Technically the same parish for ecclestialtical purposes, but folk from the Meath side play for The Wood and folk from the Cavan side traditionally play for Bailieborough Shamrocks (which is a different parish altogether)
The civil parish split is in the Moybolgue part, with half the townlands in each county.

Onlooker

Aherlow (Tipperary) and Galbally (Limerick) share the same parish as well.

The Forfeit Point

rathcline in longford and st.faithleachs in roscommon, im pretty sure lanesboro and ballyleague are in the same parish, correct me if im wrong - thats two different provinces aswel

LaurelEye

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on November 15, 2008, 04:24:38 PM
rathcline in longford and st.faithleachs in roscommon, im pretty sure lanesboro and ballyleague are in the same parish, correct me if im wrong - thats two different provinces aswel

Nope, different parishes and dioceses.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 13, 2008, 04:38:41 PM
Was on the Milford (Limerick) GAA club's website there. They have a map with every GAA club on Ireland on it. There seems to be a hell of a lot of clubs very close to each other but in different counties. Is there many clubs in Ireland that are in the same parish but in different counties? Somebody mentioned Trillick (Tyrone) and Coa (Fermanagh) to me. Id suspect Bredagh (Down) and St Malachy's (Antrim) are aswell.

DF , Bredagh draw from Holy Rosary and part of St Bernadettes, St Malachys is a separate parish

pedro

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on November 13, 2008, 06:53:51 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on November 13, 2008, 05:58:13 PM
QuoteSt Pat's lordship and dromintee are both in the same parish - dromintee - but in different provinces

Not true for RC parishes. St Pats is in Lordship parish and Dromintee in Dromintee parish.
http://www.parishofstluke.net/links/ireland/armagh/index.htm

yes, that may be technically correct but st pat's club's area of capture for players reaches well into the dromintee parish

Yep, thats correct. Most of our players are based in the Lordship-Bellurgan-Ballmascanlon parish (I think that's the name of it) while we would also have part of the Jonesboro/Dromintee parish as it runs right up to Ravensdale.
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

aontroim

Quote from: saffron sam2 on November 14, 2008, 12:00:59 PM
Part of Bellaghy parish is in Antrim. The Antrim part, Far Ballyscullion, doesn't have its own club so the Antrim based Bellaghy men mostly play for Ahoghill.

Ballyscullion East would mainly be part of Moneyglass' catchment area - though there would be a few that would also play for Ahoghill from that area too.

spectator

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 13, 2008, 09:15:50 PM
Monasteraden is also a half-parish of Ballaghaderreen AFAIK, and it's in Harps country too. Bear in mind that Harps goes from Ballinafad across to Ballagh, and all the way up to about 2 miles south of Ballymote.

Monasteraden is a half parish of Ballagh, but I'm struggling at the minute to remember any of their lads playing with Ballagh, although I'm sure there must have been a few over the years. The county boundary between Ros & Sligo is about one hundred metres along the Monasteraden road which branches off from Edmondstown Cross (that's at the sharp left hand corner on the road from Ballagh to Gurteen.) Noel Durkin came from the last house in Ros there, before you cross the stream which marks the boundary with Sligo, btw. Might explain why they're such fanatical Ros supporters though. If you walk towards Gurteen from Edmondstown Cross, the townlands of Cross and Laragan are considered Ballagh GAA territory & home to the McKenzies for example. Eastern Harps territory in that direction probably begins around Carrantemple, where the old burial sites are located at the apex  the hill. There's quite a mix of county rivalries in those couple of small rural townlands alone, when you throw in the additional factor of Ballagh club aligning itself to Mayo.  ;)

stephenite

Quote from: spectator on November 16, 2008, 01:49:19 PM
when you throw in the additional factor of Ballagh club aligning itself to Mayo.  ;)

You make it sound like a conscious decision that was made the day the GAA was founded. :)

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 13, 2008, 09:15:50 PM
Monasteraden is also a half-parish of Ballaghaderreen AFAIK, and it's in Harps country too. Bear in mind that Harps goes from Ballinafad across to Ballagh, and all the way up to about 2 miles south of Ballymote.

Monasteraden is a half parish of Ballagh, but I'm struggling at the minute to remember any of their lads playing with Ballagh, although I'm sure there must have been a few over the years.

Ae you 100% on that spectator? I know someone from Monasteraden who plays for Ballagh but they technically should be Harps. Monasteraden has always been considered Harps country to my knowledge and there have been little or none playing for Ballagh throughout the years. Ballagh's area ends at Edmondstown/Cross AFAIK as that was the old county boundary which is still rightfully considered Mayo  ;)

Farrandeelin

I always knew that Ardnaree was part of Sligo up until the late 19th century, I suppose you learn something new everyday, for me it was about Bonniconlon being part of Sligo. Maybe that's why both clubs are junior, (having the Sligo influence on them).
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

spectator

Quote from: stephenite on November 17, 2008, 10:51:25 AM
when you throw in the additional factor of Ballagh club aligning itself to Mayo.  ;)

You make it sound like a conscious decision that was made the day the GAA was founded. :)

TBH, i was mainly outlining the Ros \ Sligo border rivalry of the parish in response to OWS, as most people from outside Ballagh don't ever really get to know or hear about it, stephenite. But if you also throw in the Mayo football allegiance of a handful of locals in that particular area like The McKenzies, you'll see it's a hotbed of county rivalries in what's a very small townland basically.

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on November 17, 2008, 11:13:14 AM
I know someone from Monasteraden who plays for Ballagh but they technically should be Harps. Monasteraden has always been considered Harps country to my knowledge and there have been little or none playing for Ballagh throughout the years. Ballagh's area ends at Edmondstown/Cross AFAIK as that was the old county boundary which is still rightfully considered Mayo  ;)

I think we're in agreement on this one OM - Monasteraden is definitely Eastern Harps territory, from where you cross the stream beyond Durkins on the Monasteraden side of Edmondstown Cross. I remember a Flannery lad from over that side playing under-age with Ballagh years ago, but there haven't been too many, that's for sure.

Mayo extending to Edmondstown Cross ... Eh - get with the times. Even your great grandfather would have struggled to remember that ;D