Same Parish - Different County

Started by DownFanatic, November 13, 2008, 04:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: armaghniac on November 13, 2008, 05:58:13 PM
QuoteSt Pat's lordship and dromintee are both in the same parish - dromintee - but in different provinces

Not true for RC parishes. St Pats is in Lordship parish and Dromintee in Dromintee parish.
http://www.parishofstluke.net/links/ireland/armagh/index.htm

yes, that may be technically correct but st pat's club's area of capture for players reaches well into the dromintee parish

Maguire01

Clones Parish - Clones and Currin in Monaghan and Aghadrumsee in Fermanagh, if i'm not mistaken.

Rossfan

Quote from: illdecide on November 13, 2008, 05:23:30 PM
I know i'm not gonna spell this right..."Ballaghadreen" apparently borders 3 counties (i think) Roscommon, Leitrim and Dunno???

Bealach a' Doirín (anglicised to Ballaghadereen) is in Co ROSCOMMON. It borders Sligo and effin Mayo who have stolen it from us for GAA purposes  >:(

The Parish of Aughanagh has three "half" parishes - Corrigeenroe in Ros who arepart of St Michaels Club and Ballinafad and Castlebaldwin(Ballyrush) both in Sligo. I think they are part of 2 different clubs - Eastern Harps and Shamrock Gaels respectively . Sliononian or Seanie might confirm or correct?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

spectator

Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2008, 08:08:23 PM
Bealach a' Doirín (anglicised to Ballaghadereen) is in Co ROSCOMMON. It borders Sligo and effin Mayo who have stolen it from us for GAA purposes  >:(

It's not so much that they stole it, as it was in Mayo during the early GAA years, until a county boundary change saw Ballagh move into Ros in 1898.

They've just refused to acknowledge the fact ever since, forcing Ballagh Rossies to line out with Mayo, if they wish to play ic football. :(

stephenite

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Rossfan on November 13, 2008, 08:08:23 PM
Quote from: illdecide on November 13, 2008, 05:23:30 PM
I know i'm not gonna spell this right..."Ballaghadreen" apparently borders 3 counties (i think) Roscommon, Leitrim and Dunno???

The Parish of Aughanagh has three "half" parishes - Corrigeenroe in Ros who arepart of St Michaels Club and Ballinafad and Castlebaldwin(Ballyrush) both in Sligo. I think they are part of 2 different clubs - Eastern Harps and Shamrock Gaels respectively . Sliononian or Seanie might confirm or correct?
Thanks, I'll answer it anyway: Ballinafad is in Harps, Ballyrush with Shamrock Gaels. Must admit that I wasn't sure of them being half-parishes, but Monasteraden is also a half-parish of Ballaghaderreen AFAIK, and it's in Harps country too. Bear in mind that Harps goes from Ballinafad across to Ballagh, and all the way up to about 2 miles south of Ballymote. Corofin aren't the only ones with plenty of lebensraum playing in the Connacht final!

Quote from: stephenite on November 13, 2008, 08:32:55 PM
Ardnaree and Ballina Stephenites
Oh, so we are getting Ardnaree back now? How kind of ye. :P

stephenite

It's in the same parish as Ballina - why would ye get them?

mouview

Creggs straddles Galway / Roscommon border, ref Mick Curley originally came from there. Beagh, most southerly parish in Galway, may stray into Clare a bit I think.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: stephenite on November 13, 2008, 09:55:49 PM
It's in the same parish as Ballina - why would ye get them?
I'm sure I pointed this out in the Ballagh thread, but Ardnaree was in Sligo prior to the Local Govt. Act of 1898, when it was moved into Mayo. Look at this old map:

As the thread was about clubs in the same parish, but in different counties, I thought you were adknowledging that. ;)

stephenite

Can't really read that - there'd be very few Ardnaree men, in fact there isn't one I'd bet, that would consider themselves Sligoish :P

LaurelEye

Mullinalaghta (Longford) and Scrabby Gowna (Cavan) - two provinces as well as two counties
Mountnugent (Cavan) and St. Brigid's Ballinacree (Meath) - ditto

Swanlinbar (Cavan) and Kinawley (Fermanagh)
Coralstown-Kinnegad (Westmeath) and Clonard (Meath) - I think...
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

corn02

armaghniac

QuoteLodship/Dromintee - Two countries!

Now Now Corn this is not OWC. It is all one country.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

laceer

Killyman (Tyrone) and Clonmore (Armagh) are divided by the blackwater but are both dungannon parish. both teams won junior county championships in 2005 and killyman were an injury time goal away from playing their neighbours in the Ulster Junior club final. Monaghan Harps beat Killyman in the semi and Clonmore in the final. Think they were beat in the AIF

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on November 13, 2008, 10:38:05 PM
Can't really read that - there'd be very few Ardnaree men, in fact there isn't one I'd bet, that would consider themselves Sligoish :P

Correct me if I m wrong but that map puts you Stephenite in occupied territories on the East Bank. Fortunately I still have to wade across to the other side that was handed over to us.

Ardnaree/ Bonniconlon were once Sligo as Ballagh was once Mayo.

Ballagh have produced a regular stream of top class senior county footballers for us but the Ard/ Bonni area has not. Alright there was Peter Quinn and John Forde 60 years ago.  But in recent years - last 40- only Joe Corcoran, Anthony Egan and David Brady have emerged big time[ I stand to be corrected on this]  from the FST - Former Sligo Territories.

It should be noted that Ardnaree has produced as many underage players to county teams as Stephenites last dozen years. However this has not made the expected impact at adult level.

Next year I would predict 2 Ardnaree lads on county minor team [ few clubs will have as many or more] and possibly 1 other [ aswell as Alex Corduff , also FST] from Stephenites. Starting that is and no injuries get in the way in the meantime.