Digital Cameras

Started by hectorsheroes, November 12, 2008, 10:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archie Mitchell

Is this for taking pictures of potential targets?

Tony Baloney

Read all the reviews on digital camera magazines and/or websites. I had Sony point and click a few years ago and the only negative was that picture quality was poorish in low light. Have a Canon ixus now and overall it's better.

STREET FIGHTER

Hi

Any advice on digital camera deals at the minute?

What are the best makes etc on the market?

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on December 01, 2010, 09:23:32 PM
Hi

Any advice on digital camera deals at the minute?

What are the best makes etc on the market?

Try this site - bought a camcorder off it a couple of years ago, next day delivery - no problems.

http://www.pixmania.co.uk

Some good discounts
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Radda bout yeee

In the market for digital camera in the £200-300 category.

Any advice. Would like a slim light one not one of the big chunky ones thats tends to make people look foolish!

Bogball XV

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on May 25, 2011, 04:55:53 PM

Any advice. Would like a slim light one not one of the big chunky ones thats tends to make people look foolish!
get 2 years ago's models on amazon - the major difference will be that they're only 12MP as opposed to 18MP and they have a 2.7" screen as opposed to a 2.9" screen from the newer models.  They might pretend they've a few extra gimmicks that you honestly will never use unless you're really into your photoing.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Bogball XV on May 25, 2011, 07:31:42 PM
Quote from: Radda bout yeee on May 25, 2011, 04:55:53 PM

get 2 years ago's models on amazon - the major difference will be that they're only 12MP as opposed to 18MP and they have a 2.7" screen as opposed to a 2.9" screen from the newer models.  They might pretend they've a few extra gimmicks that you honestly will never use unless you're really into your photoing.

cheers bogball

Bogball XV

No bother radda,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=canon+ixus

A few on this linky are grand - i bought one a few months ago for about £90, I'd paid €250 for the camera 1 model older 2 years ago (it had an unfortunate water accident).

Radda bout yeee

need to buy a camera for christmas - i want a compact one thats a canon and will record video.
Whats the best?

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on December 05, 2011, 04:24:22 PM
need to buy a camera for christmas - i want a compact one thats a canon and will record video.
Whats the best?

Anyone got any ideas?

Karl Kennedy

I currently have a compact digital camera which is fine and takes great still images in good daylight. When it comes to low light, instant and distance shots it isn't great and was thinking about purchasing a SLR camera as I want better quality and instant shots. I also have an interest in taking action shots especially when it comes to sport such as running, cycling and football.

Has anyone has much experience with the SLR cameras and what would be a good one to start off with?

What would be a fair price to spend?

What are the best lens to go for?

theskull1

If you go second hand you can get great camera bodies as people who hardly use them go for the latest and greatest model. Most bodies half in value after a year or two.

Each brand will have it cheaper and expensive lens ranges. That's where the real money can be spent. Good quality glass holds its value pretty well.

Dpreview is a site worth visiting for a bit of understanding  about what's out there
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: theskull1 on August 17, 2012, 10:34:01 AM
If you go second hand you can get great camera bodies as people who hardly use them go for the latest and greatest model. Most bodies half in value after a year or two.

Each brand will have it cheaper and expensive lens ranges. That's where the real money can be spent. Good quality glass holds its value pretty well.

Dpreview is a site worth visiting for a bit of understanding  about what's out there

So buying the right lens is key more so than the camera body then?
Do you suggest eBay best place to buy 2nd hand?
Has anyone bought 2nd hand SLR camera before?

laoislad

Quote from: Karl Kennedy on August 17, 2012, 10:52:34 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 17, 2012, 10:34:01 AM

So buying the right lens is key more so than the camera body then?
Do you suggest eBay best place to buy 2nd hand?
Has anyone bought 2nd hand SLR camera before?
The lens is far more important than the camera body.
I have a Sony A550 DSLR but the lens that came with it wasn't the best.
I bought two new lens a 18-55mm f2.8 and a 70-300mm zoom lens.
You should pick up a good Canon,Nikon,Olympus or Sony second hand easy enough but most brands are all more or less the same nowadays,it's the quality of the lens that matters.
Also if you just buy a DSLR and leave it on Auto all the time you may as well just buy a normal cheap compact camera, its worth putting in the effort to learn how to use a DSLR properly.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Armaghgeddon

I will be the first to admit that I am not great at photography, instead of buying a compact digital camera I went for the Sony HX100V which is a bridge camera which are between point and shoot and SLR cameras. I did consider buying the typical point and shoot camera but I have a Nokia N8 my phone alone gives me good enough quality pictures on a night out, so what would be the point in buying a point and shoot camera.

Also, take the time to learn how to use the camera, it might take a while but it will be worth it.