Digital Cameras

Started by hectorsheroes, November 12, 2008, 10:00:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on September 12, 2012, 02:25:43 AM
Scraped together the cash for a Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II lens for my 600D (~£175 new) and I have to say I'm extremely impressed by it. I'd seen people be told a hundred times that they'd need to splash big money for a lens that's fast enough for action photography but this fella performed fantastically well at the Mayo-Dublin game for me when I optimised the settings. I was in Row EE, 31 rows from pitch-side:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/Syferus/catch.jpg

And that's not even the clearest picture I took. Obviously the higher end lenses will preform even better but if you're just someone who likes to get a few high quality snaps at a game or event (concerts probably excepted given the darkness and the f/4-5.6 range) this lens offers that and plenty more besides. I chose Canon over Nikon earlier in the year specifically because of the quality and price of this lens and their f/1.8 50mm, which remains the best value lens on the market - you can usually find it for around £75-80 on Amazon.
Syf

How many lenses would you bring to Croker ? I don't like all the foostering with changing them. 
I prefer the 18-200mm which means you can get most stuff from one lens but I was thinking of buying a better zoom for matches to get more of the action. Being from Galway it looks like there's no rush at the moment  :o

offtheground

Quote from: Bingo on November 26, 2012, 05:19:58 PM
Ok, looking for a decent quality camera.

Not overly into photography or that but with the kids growing up now, it be nice to get a decent camera to take snaps and that of them and other stuff. Have a lower priced digital camera from few years back but it takes about 3 secs between pressing botton and picture been taken.

Main key features:

Good zoom
High quality
Instant pictures

I'd be quite clueless in this area, so any help be much appreciated.

I'd hazard a guess that the most of that 3 sec's is writing to your memory card. Cheaper SD card have slow data rate, therefore longer time between pictures.. When you get your new camera, treat yourself to a decent SD card. There are 4 different types in terms of speed ; class 2, 4, 6 and 10. This means a write speed of 2MB/sec, 4MB/sec, 6MB/sec and 10MB/sec respectively.

Karl Kennedy

Anyone here have a digital bridge camera that they use and is good quality?
I have researched some SLR cameras and definitely one that stands out is the CANON EOS 1200D at £250 which is reduced a good bit too.

I am curious about the digital bridge cameras as I don't think I will be taking photos all the time and an SLR may be waste of mney.

laoislad

If you have an interest in taking photos at all,  a dslr is never a waste of money imo.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

seafoid

Quote from: laoislad on February 19, 2016, 02:40:11 PM
If you have an interest in taking photos at all,  a dslr is never a waste of money imo.
I would agree. And a decent lens

Maguire01

It's a waste of money if you're going to shoot on auto. It's also a bulkier buy than a good compact (which can produce photos of comparable quality). Depends on what you plan to shoot, and how you plan to use the camera.

Karl Kennedy

Maguires01 you would advise getting bridge camera then?
I would be using it for family occasions, on holiday & family photos plus maybe some action photos of children playing etc.