Sean Cavanagh - new GPA secretary.

Started by Puckoon, November 07, 2008, 07:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7716682.stm

From BBC.

Cavanagh named new GPA secretary 

Sean Cavanagh helped Tyrone to their All-Ireland SFC triumph
Tyrone star Sean Cavanagh will take over from Kildare manager Kieran McGeeney as secretary of the Gaelic Players Association.

The 25-year-old from Moy, who captained Ireland to an International Rules series win over Australia, is the 2008 Footballer of the Year.

GPA chief Dessie Farrell made his annual address on Friday.

"The time has come for the GAA to grasp the opportunity to move relations with players on to a new level," he said.

ONeill

The short skirt and lipstick on the Moy Magician just doesn't sit well with me.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

As an accountant (I believe), isnt he over qualified?

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

I expect a lot of the Tyrone bucks on this board are pissed off with Cavanagh  :P
First he goes to Australia to play International Rules and if that wasnt enough he captains the team and was one of,  if not the ,best player there.
Now he turns around and becomes an officer of the GPA :o
Next thing hell accept a grant ......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Minder

Will Cavanagh retain the same god like status? Will he be afforded the same hatred that Donal Og, Dessie Farrell et al get on this board?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Puckoon

that probably depends on how he conducts himself. I don't recall much venom being thrown at McGeeney.

Minder

Quote from: Puckoon on November 07, 2008, 09:56:44 PM
that probably depends on how he conducts himself. I don't recall much venom being thrown at McGeeney.

Will he not be "guilty by association" regardless of how he conducts himself?

Puckoon

perhaps there might. Unless he proves different, I think comparisons to the militance and ignorance of Farrell and Donal Og are uncalled for.

ziggysego

Quote from: Minder on November 07, 2008, 09:50:54 PM
Will Cavanagh retain the same god like status? Will he be afforded the same hatred that Donal Og, Dessie Farrell et al get on this board?

Don't agree with him. But first and foremost he's a footballer and a damn good one at that.

So yeah, he's Jesus. Not God, that's Canavan ;)
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Quote from: Puckoon on November 07, 2008, 10:09:45 PM
perhaps there might. Unless he proves different, I think comparisons to the militance and ignorance of Farrell and Donal Og are uncalled for.

They are all part of the same organisation, surely they have similar goals and a similar endgame (pay for play), otherwise he would not be taking up this position. Just my take on things, could be wrong.

thebandit

I dont know exactly why, but I'm very dissappointed in Cavanagh. He's his generations finest player and he'll always be associated with pay for play.

Puckoon

Quote from: Minder on November 07, 2008, 10:20:08 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on November 07, 2008, 10:09:45 PM

They are all part of the same organisation, surely they have similar goals and a similar endgame (pay for play), otherwise he would not be taking up this position. Just my take on things, could be wrong.

Isnt the issue that most intercounty players are part of the association?

I know that there are exceptions, but I was of the aprehension that most intercounty players were GPA members.

I guess time will tell how he will be viewed - one only has to look at his interviews to see how ambitious he is.

theskull1

Well club tyrone better make sure that they look after their players through the recession or the militancy might just come to the fore. Can see a few CB/County Team disputes this year as it would appear from Dessies speech that there getting ready to crank things up a bit
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ONeill

Quote from: thebandit on November 07, 2008, 10:28:05 PM
I dont know exactly why, but I'm very dissappointed in Cavanagh. He's his generations finest player and he'll always be associated with pay for play.

It's this crap that irks me most. The same dung was spouted 10 months ago along with 'I'll never set foot in...'. Yet the same fellas attended the same amount of games and shouted as loud as any this year. It made absolutely no difference and those who cried the sky would fall now look foolish IMO. Sean Cavanagh getting £2000 for winning an All-Ireland is laughable pittance and affects not a jot his effort for the Moy and Tyrone (and Ireland). Anyone who begrudges him that is simply that, a begrudger.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.