Sean Cavanagh - new GPA secretary.

Started by Puckoon, November 07, 2008, 07:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

I don't like the way he looks like he's gonna cry all the time when someone puts a tackle on him... and he's fond of the diving.

Other than that he'll probably be the footballer of his generation but sure who cares about that!

Mickeys beard

He might be too smiley for the job.  Then again, it could be a case of good cop bad cop for the GPA.
Boil the Drawers!

ONeill

Quote from: Mickeys beard on November 07, 2008, 11:28:04 PM
He might be too smiley for the job.  Then again, it could be a case of good cop bad cop for the GPA.

i don't think your avatar is favourable towards our 3-time All-Ireland winning manager and you've been reported.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ONeill

So, we're in recession. Well done. Excellent observations.

ONeill

The GPA have said that they will accept that we now live in a somewhat financial uncertainty and accept there will be cuts. However, if they see that Gaelic games have been affected more than other sports, they'll kick up a fuss.

Top of the hill

I HAD huge respect for Cavanagh up until I heard this news. I believe him to be one of the best footballers of his generation and a great ambassador for the GAA (no i'm not from tyrone). Obviously the GPA see him as a great ambassador for them too.

I don't agree with the GPA agenda, pay for play or whatever you want to call it and for Cavanagh to be associated with it in such a high profile post is disappointing.

. . He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue
That's the Chicago way

thebandit

Quote from: ONeill on November 07, 2008, 11:12:00 PM
Quote from: thebandit on November 07, 2008, 10:28:05 PM
I dont know exactly why, but I'm very dissappointed in Cavanagh. He's his generations finest player and he'll always be associated with pay for play.

It's this crap that irks me most. The same dung was spouted 10 months ago along with 'I'll never set foot in...'. Yet the same fellas attended the same amount of games and shouted as loud as any this year. It made absolutely no difference and those who cried the sky would fall now look foolish IMO. Sean Cavanagh getting £2000 for winning an All-Ireland is laughable pittance and affects not a jot his effort for the Moy and Tyrone (and Ireland). Anyone who begrudges him that is simply that, a begrudger.

You're totally wrong there O'Neill, I wasn't a 'I'll never set foot in' merchant. If you read the start of my comment properly I said I don't know exactly why. Maybe its because I regarded Cavanagh as the embodiment of all that is good about the GAA. Strong, skilful and intelligent, and that the GPA is not that pure an organisation.
I do think the players should be rewarded, and have been involved in 'under the table' looking after of players in the past. I think what Sean Cavanagh has gotten from the GAA is worth far more than £2000 to him, and he has given a lifetime's worth of happiness and memories to his county and his sport. He owes us nothing, but I think Cavanagh might find that not everyone is involved in the GPA for the same reasons that he is.

I shout loudly at most games I go to. Thats because I devote hours and hours every week to coaching teams and doing whatever my club demands of me.  I don't think I owe the GAA anything either. I certainly don't deserve my confused feelings on this subject to be shot down so loudly when I hadn't professed that strong an opinion. As I referred to, if you read the comment properly, you would have sensed the uncertainty.  >:(

Fear ón Srath Bán

I don't care. The captain of Ireland and our biggest star of our best year ever, whatever. Looking forward to the Club Tyrone gig tomorrow night, and I'll applaud the lad, that's all he deserves.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

kickingmule

First and formost, .. Sean cavanagh is one very genuine lad,  i had the pleasure of meeting him after the Mckenna Cup final of 2004, [.Cormac's last time as tyrone Captain.] ........... he spent alot of time chatting and signing autographs with my kids .... a lovely personality and Sportsman.
I don't agree with the GPA. as it stands @ present, or more to the point  Dessie Farrell ..... a total bollicks who is only interested, in my opinion bringing the gaa into the Professional Ranks @ the top Level, and to hell with Youth policy and our clubs .... the grassroots of the Gaa.
Sean Cavanagh i believe is a real Clubman @ heart ...... and if he can change mindsets from within the GPA. to bring everybody as one, from the grassroots up ....not an eletest club for top players.

orangeman

PadraicHenryPearse

I met Sean in Perth after the first test and like Kinkingmule said he is a very Genuine lad and put up with a lot of drunk chats with me for one. I spoke to a few players about the GPA and my fear that they want Pay for Play. Every player said they didn't want to be paid to play. what they wanted was to be "looked after". They wanted a voice within the Gaa Structure. The only Group looking after the players interests at the moment is the GPA. There is nothing within the current Structure that can provide this. If i wasn't as drunk i would have asked what exactly "looked after" meant. Fro speaking to those few players my anti-GPA stance has soften.

orangeman

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on November 08, 2008, 04:10:31 AM
I met Sean in Perth after the first test and like Kinkingmule said he is a very Genuine lad and put up with a lot of drunk chats with me for one. I spoke to a few players about the GPA and my fear that they want Pay for Play. Every player said they didn't want to be paid to play. what they wanted was to be "looked after". They wanted a voice within the Gaa Structure. The only Group looking after the players interests at the moment is the GPA. There is nothing within the current Structure that can provide this. If i wasn't as drunk i would have asked what exactly "looked after" meant. Fro speaking to those few players my anti-GPA stance has soften.

What's the difference ?

pintsofguinness

I dont know exactly why, but I'm very dissappointed in Cavanagh. He's his generations finest player and he'll always be associated with pay for play.

It's this crap that irks me most. The same dung was spouted 10 months ago along with 'I'll never set foot in...'. Yet the same fellas attended the same amount of games and shouted as loud as any this year. It made absolutely no difference and those who cried the sky would fall now look foolish IMO. Sean Cavanagh getting £2000 for winning an All-Ireland is laughable pittance and affects not a jot his effort for the Moy and Tyrone (and Ireland). Anyone who begrudges him that is simply that, a begrudger.

Didn't I read on the tyrone club thread that when Moy where knocked out of the championship he said it was a blessing in disguise or better in the long rub - something along those lines.  What was that about?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 08, 2008, 10:13:37 AM

Didn't I read on the tyrone club thread that when Moy where knocked out of the championship he said it was a blessing in disguise or better in the long rub - something along those lines.  What was that about?

I rthink that comment was taken out of context if in fact it was said at all.

pintsofguinness

QuoteI rthink that comment was taken out of context if in fact it was said at all.
c'mon Orangeman, what's the line of defence? He didn't say it or it was taken out of context, you can't have both  ;)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?