GAA star involved in a drunken club brawl

Started by Over the Bar, November 04, 2008, 10:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

GAA star involved in a drunken club brawl

One of the country's leading GAA players has been involved in a drunken row at a busy Dublin club in which a man suffered a suspected broken nose, the Sunday Tribune can reveal.

The player, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, is accused of punching a nightclub patron in the nose after being insulted with the comment, "show me your All-Ireland medals".

The incident happened shortly before midnight on Friday 24 October in a well known nightclub on Dublin's Harcourt Street.

The GAA star plays for a prominent club and is a regular with his county team. It is believed he spent the afternoon drinking in a number of pubs and then went to the club to meet his girlfriend.

When the man arrived, he was greeted by the alleged assault victim and words were exchanged. Sources close to the GAA player said that he had previously been insulted by the man about his county's lack of success on the pitch and there was bad blood between the pair.

The injured party is understood to have tripped and fallen into the player's girlfriend. The player then threw one punch, striking the man on the nose.

The GAA star then left the nightclub with his girlfriend. He has the reputation of being a quiet individual and has never been in trouble before. However, he had consumed a significant amount of alcohol.

The injured party returned to the nightclub the following day to make a complaint about the incident.

He indicated he would be filing a garda complaint over the assault. A number of senior garda sources contacted by the Sunday Tribune were aware of the incident.

Attempts to contact the player were unsuccessful and he did not answer repeated messages seeking a response.

Bogball XV

Jaysus, that's awful!!  A man hits another man in a pub, fcuk me, I heard of a similar incident a few years ago.  Some lad was in a pub, he went up an started annoying this other lad, eventually the other lad belted him, bloody disgrace if you ask me.

ONeill

Quote from: Over the Bar on November 04, 2008, 10:56:22 PM

When the man arrived, he was greeted by the alleged assault victim and words were exchanged. Sources close to the GAA player said that he had previously been insulted by the man about his county's lack of success on the pitch and there was bad blood between the pair.

Armagh man then.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

youngfella

Quote from: Bogball XV on November 04, 2008, 11:08:24 PM
Jaysus, that's awful!!  A man hits another man in a pub, fcuk me, I heard of a similar incident a few years ago.  Some lad was in a pub, he went up an started annoying this other lad, eventually the other lad belted him, bloody disgrace if you ask me.

Derry lads leave that behaviour for county finals...
Pull hard and early

thebandit

Cant condone violence etc... But it sounds like your man might have been asking for it....

mayoman dan

The player is dead right he should have hit him a few more times.

paddypastit

QuoteThe player then threw one punch, striking the man on the nose.
Surely for there to be a brawl there has to be a second punch?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

The Claw

Do we know for sure what county he was from?

full back

"The injured party is understood to have tripped and fallen into the player's girlfriend"

Off course he did ::)

nrico2006

Your man deserved it if he was up slabbering in the players face.

Why don't they name him though?  I don't actually like the media naming individuals but they should be consistent.  It will be another case of front page news for a 'GAA Star involved in a drunken club brawl' but it will be stuck in a small column on page 29 in a few weeks time if nothing comes of it - disgraceful.

Owen Mulligan received alot of covergae earlier in the summer for an alleged incident yet barely a paragraph in the papers when nothing came of it.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

cornafean

Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

The GAA

liihb

From what I hear it happened Tuesday before last, and nothing will come of it
Every time you open your mouth you have this wonderful ability to continually confirm what I think.

cavanmaniac

Big f**king deal like. A young fella has a few drinks, gets involved in a bit of niggle, throws a punch. And just because he plays GAA it makes the papers.

Bullshit.