Oops, he did it again...

Started by Evil Genius, November 04, 2008, 04:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/mcginn-picked-for-northern-irelands-hungary-friendly-14033846.html
Nigel Worthington has called up Derry City youngster, Niall McGinn, for NI's friendly with Hungary later this month (above).

Hardly had the story appeared, when a certain well-known "personality" rushed to post the following comment on the B.Telegraph website:
"Surely this lad should be aspiring to lay for the real Ireland team"*
Posted by Tony Fearon | 04.11.08, 15:32 GMT

It's a shame (though no surprise) that Tony isn't also a subscriber to the Londonderry Sentinel, since he would have seen the player himself quoted as saying the following:
"There has been a lot of talk about one thing and another over the last few weeks, but to get a call up for my country would be amazing," he said.
"If Nigel Worthington were to call me up and say I was part of his plans, firstly I would be shocked, but then it would be unbelievable.
"If I was called up and trained for a few days with players like David Healy, Steven Davis and Aaron Hughes that would be amazing and certainly would improve my game.
"To be playing and training with players who are playing in the Premiership in both England and Scotland can only help me."

Still, I've no doubt Tony will join all the rest of us in wishing young Niall - who's a Tyrone man, btw - all the best... :D

* - Note that such was his rush to post, Tony didn't even stop for a "p", never mind a question mark!  :o

"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Gabriel_Hurl

cavan4ever

Quote from: Evil Genius on November 04, 2008, 04:51:45 PM

"If Nigel Worthington were to call me up and say I was part of his plans, firstly I would be shocked, but then it would be unbelievable.
"If I was called up and trained for a few days with players like David Healy, Steven Davis and Aaron Hughes that would be amazing and certainly would improve my game.
"To be playing and training with players who are playing in the Premiership in both England and Scotland can only help me."[/i]

Sounds like something that Fr Dougal would come out with.

full back

Orior

Oh dont worry Evil Genius, the real story will emerge soon enough.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Main Street

"Derry City winger Niall McGinn has earned a surprise call-up to the Northern Ireland squad."

Maybe it should read as  "it is a surprise that a Derry City player wants to play for NI".

The second surprise is that the IFA have not misplaced again that phone nr. of  Derry City FC. 

TacadoirArdMhacha

Professional footballer in attempt to advance career shocker.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

under the bar

QuoteThe second surprise is that the IFA have not misplaced again that phone nr. of  Derry City FC. 

Explain that one like a good man?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: under the bar on November 04, 2008, 10:13:52 PM
QuoteThe second surprise is that the IFA have not misplaced again that phone nr. of  Derry City FC. 

Long history of IFA ignoring Derry City players in favour of infinitely poorer players. Paddy McCourt being a prime example. Think its a long time since any Derry man at all was a regular for NI.

Doogie Browser

I read in the press at the weekend that McGinn was being watched by teams across the water, at first I thought they meant across the Foyle in Maghermason, it wouldn't be long until the 6 counties called him up when he was getting that kind of press.  Let him play for them if he wants i have no problem if he chooses, happy enough with attacking players Republic have anyway.  The Championship is full of players like Noel Hunt and Owen Garvan who would be better suited and are better players than McGinn anyway.

GaryColemansLeftPeg

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 04, 2008, 10:16:09 PM

Long history of IFA ignoring Derry City players in favour of infinitely poorer players. Paddy McCourt being a prime example. Think its a long time since any Derry man at all was a regular for NI.

Maybe u should take off those steamy glasses and look beyond...

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: GaryColemansLeftPeg on November 04, 2008, 10:29:33 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 04, 2008, 10:16:09 PM

Maybe u should take off those steamy glasses and look beyond...

Look beyond what? I'm only going by what your Derry City site tells me.......

screenexile

Is this the same McGinn who many think 'should' be playing for Tyrone? Fair play to him I say. If he gets a calll from Worthington and wants to play for OWC then let him at it. Likewise if Trapp had given him the call. Too many people on high horses for my liking around here or is it just Tony?

Main Street

It was Felix Healy manager of Derry in the mid 90's, in the Spotlight documentary around Darron Gibson, stated that the FAI were never off the phone asking about this and that player while the IFA couldn't be ársed to make even one phone call.
Felix himself was capped for NI and regarded that it was a (unwritten)policy by the IFA to shun Derry City players.
Good luck to McGinn.