Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Tough viewing last night as we took a 24 or 25 point tanking from Ballycran at home.

Too many lads think they don't have a man to mark and swanning about doing their own thing, picking up the odd loose ball and thinking thats enough whilst their direct opponent is having a field day and killing us.

Ballycran are a slick enough outfit at the minute, but I've always maintained if you give an average hurler time and space they'll look good, its when you're with them, toe to toe at the point of contact you really find out their worth, our lads stood and watched average hurlers eat them up and shite them out.

I know we're missing a few, but that's as bad as I've seen in a long time from us.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on May 15, 2014, 12:47:33 PM
Tough viewing last night as we took a 24 or 25 point tanking from Ballycran at home.

Too many lads think they don't have a man to mark and swanning about doing their own thing, picking up the odd loose ball and thinking thats enough whilst their direct opponent is having a field day and killing us.

Ballycran are a slick enough outfit at the minute, but I've always maintained if you give an average hurler time and space they'll look good, its when you're with them, toe to toe at the point of contact you really find out their worth, our lads stood and watched average hurlers eat them up and shite them out.

I know we're missing a few, but that's as bad as I've seen in a long time from us.

Is that your biggest beating by the Crans?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Na Glinntí Glasa

was at our game on wednesday night away to St. Johns.

we didnt play well at all, our passing wasnt up to scratch and we played too many pointless balls to each other. didnt understand our tactic of short puck outs to the corner backs, st johns had them under pressure straight away and we lost 5 points to this tactic.

that being said we played poor and lost by 3 points scoring 2-13 to the bargin. we were without Micky McClements, Kevin Molloy, Liam Richmond and Paul Shiels so all in we cant complain when missing those 4 players.

st johns could of had us beat out the gate but some poor shooting nearly cost them the game. Ciaran Johnston had a great game at centre half, simon mc crorry also was solid all night.
hurl like f**k boi!

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 15, 2014, 05:39:07 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on May 15, 2014, 12:47:33 PM

Is that your biggest beating by the Crans?

In my lifetime yes, especially at home as well!

Sleeping giant

Few nice wins for county after prob defeats that we all seen coming.   first real test in a month coming up,  how do we see it going?
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Na Glinntí Glasa

this is gong to be a real tough test for us, Laois are a strong team esp at home and will be well up for this game.

i was at our game with them last year in Laois and we never looked like winning it. they had a massive home support backing them and it will be the same again come the weekend.

if we play to the potential that we have on the pitch we can win. Shorty is unplayable this season, hes the best in ulster by a mile so we need him to keep it going. the rest of the team has been in consistent form as well so fingers crossed we get another win!
hurl like f**k boi!

btdtgtt

Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 19, 2014, 08:53:07 AM
this is gong to be a real tough test for us, Laois are a strong team esp at home and will be well up for this game.

i was at our game with them last year in Laois and we never looked like winning it. they had a massive home support backing them and it will be the same again come the weekend.

if we play to the potential that we have on the pitch we can win. Shorty is unplayable this season, hes the best in ulster by a mile so we need him to keep it going. the rest of the team has been in consistent form as well so fingers crossed we get another win!

Think you have been watching too much soccer coverage with those terms?

I think there's a few hurlers in the southern counties that would find him just fine to play against - if not Ulster.

Our best player all the same - no argument there.

Milltown Row2

Laois will be hard at home but struggled big time yesterday against London, 8 up at half time and held on from a strong second half showing from London. London missed a lot of chances to go in front, I'm sure they are re-focused on us now but this game is there for the taking.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

This is the big one for both teams as the wexford game is winnable for whoever wins this especially with the team coming in having championship behind them when wexford haven't. A game against Galway is a bit less appealing. Though Loughnane tips them for AI I think he's way off the mark but they're way too strong for either here.

Carlow struggled with westmeath too. How each team does against the other teams seems to count for nothing when it comes down to it. 

BIg game but really this is about our level and the kind of game to stand up and be counted in so hopefully we can do it.

johnneycool

With both teams unbeaten, I presume the winners draw Wexford and the losers Galway.

I'd say that's incentive enough to bust your balls for the win as Wexford are a very achievable target for either team.

imtommygunn

Yep - winner plays wexford and loser galway.

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: btdtgtt on May 19, 2014, 09:52:45 AM
Quote from: Dunloy realist on May 19, 2014, 08:53:07 AM

Think you have been watching too much soccer coverage with those terms?

I think there's a few hurlers in the southern counties that would find him just fine to play against - if not Ulster.
Our best player all the same - no argument there.

that i doubt. ive not seen many people in ulster hold him scoreless or prevent him from playing over the past 3 years at least.

he hasnt actually played a single game for Dunloy this season, which is mental considering its nearly June!!  :o
hurl like f**k boi!

maxpower

why do Laois get home advantage for the QF no matter who they play? Would it have been fair to give both 'Qualifiers' home advantage?
What happens next????

Seamroga in exile

Galway haven't had a home game yet in Leinster either. Any match against them would probably be down there also.
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

maxpower

I read somewhere both games are in portlaoise regardless who finishes top! Just odd one team out of the four gets home advantage, could understand if it was dependant on them finishing top of the group!

Anyhows hope Antrim win on Sunday and set up a clash with Wexford, though our record against them outside Antrim isn't great either, had we gotten them up in Ballycastle again we'd nearly be favourites
What happens next????