An Dún v Muineachán

Started by An Cloch Scoilte, May 22, 2007, 09:35:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amallon

I'm assuming it will be the same as the last day.  £12 for the terrace or £18 for the stand. 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

ExiledGael

From BBC, no real shocks, good to see Lennon back fit

Monaghan have named two championship debutants in their team for Sunday's Ulster SFC game against Down at Pairc Esler in Newry.
They are Scotstown's Donal Morgan at left corner-back and Shane Smyth from Monaghan Harps at full-forward.
Smith was a Sigerson Cup winner with Dublin City University in 2006.
Elsewhere, Eoin Lennon returns to partner Paul Finlay at midfield having recovered from a broken jaw sustained against Leitrim in the National League.
Hugh McElroy is listed amongst the subs after he missed the entire league campaign.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monaghan: S Duffy, C Flanagan, G McQuaid, D Morgan, D Mone, V Corey, JP Mone, E Lennon, P Finlay, D Clerkin, S Gollogly, D Freeman (capt), C Hanratty, S Smyth, T Freeman.

oakleafer

I'm sure it's been addressed on the Cavan v Down thread, but I'm aking here anyway: How come that Declan Rooney is the captain of the down team if he has never played a championship game up until the first Cavan game this year? Don't get me wrong, I know nothing about him, he may well be great, just seems a strange move to have your captain as a championship debutant.

Mourne Rover

Oakleafer, I've just nominated Rooney as one of the early players of the championship on the other thread. Down had no other natural captain in their squad, so Ross and DJ took a chance on a newcomer who had leadership potential. We will have to wait and see how it eventually works out, but it is looking like a decisive and inspired piece of management at the moment. Down have already gone further than most people expected anyway.

oakleafer

it's definitely an interesting move....they must see some DJ charcteristics!

would such a move not have upset the established members of the team....Mickey McVeigh, Benny Coulter, Dan Gordon etc?

Where has Rooney come from....through the underage ranks?

thewobbler

The simple answer is that there weren't/aren't many leaders in the Down camp oakleafer. Plenty of fellas who would talk the talk, and plenty of fellas who would walk the walk, but none too many who would do both and be guaranteed a starting position.

Rooney probably would have appeared on the scene a bit earlier if he hadn't wrecked his leg and spent a year plus out just after minors. Burren ones had high hopes for him before that happened and it looks like they were right.

TORGAEL

I suppose its too early for the Down team to be announced yet ?

Stranworst

Jesus sure its only Wednesday!! Some chance hearing the team!

bridgegael

looking forward to sunday, hopefully the sun is out on a packed pairc esler.  don't knoe which of the full backs will pick up tommy freeman, whoever it is will have his hands full, great player.  again if we can win midfield and get plenty off good first time balls into the forward line i'd be pretty confident that they will do the business in front of goal. 
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

lisdoon1

24 degrees,

sun splitting the stones,  8)

championship back again at the Marshes   ;D

the pitch like carpet,  :-*

All sounds too much to be true, lets hope for a good performance, i'll take any dimension of a win as long as we get through.

When is the starting line up due out?? ???

Would like to see Jack Lynch & McComiskey start, I hear that mccartan is v  v doubtful....

Leo

Unless Down sort out the full back line Monagahn will steamroll them
Fierce tame altogether

Pangurban

Dan Gordon serious doubt due to broken Hand

Lecale2

Monaghan: S Duffy, C Flanagan, G McQuaid, D Morgan, D Mone, V Corey, JP Mone, E Lennon, P Finlay, D Clerkin, S Gollogly, D Freeman (capt), C Hanratty, S Smith, T Freeman.

Any word on Down? Gordan would be a big loss.

lisdoon1

Whats the chances of the students in the down squad pissing off to the USA for the summer if they are put out of the championship this weekend??

Back in my day we all hit New York / Boston etc etc & wondering if anyone has info on any of the players in the squad, mccomiskey & downie to name but 2.

ANY WORD ON THE STARTING LINE UP?

Whitehair

Down Senior football manager Ross Carr has made two changes to his starting XV for Sunday's Bank of Ireland Ulster SFC quarter-final with Monaghan in Newry.

John Clarke comes in at right corner back as a direct replacement for Dan McCartan.

The only other change in personnel sees Jack Lynch take the place of Paul Murphy, who hit 0-2 against Cavan last time out, at centrefield alongside Dan Gordon.

Carr and his assistant, DJ Kane, have opted not to make any positional switches to their young side (throw-in 15.30).

DOWN: M McVeigh; J Clarke, D Rooney, K McGuigan; R Murtagh, B Grant, M Cole; D Gordan, J Lynch; J McGovern, A Carr, R Sexton; D Hughes, P Downey, B Coulter

Source  www.gaa.ie