McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

Quote from: sam03/05 on January 14, 2014, 08:45:26 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 14, 2014, 06:37:32 PM
Be hard for them to win a game when half the team is with the County teams. By taking out the 3 College teams, that would be a game less, and since Tyrone love the competition so much, that would be a game less for them ahead of the National League. A game less to look at players

The other 3 provinces have no problem with the college teams.

Not really - just play two groups. A group of five and group of four. Play games on a Sunday and Wednesday, that way we get more games.

3 games is enough with the College teams. Tyrone should organize a few challenge games if they want more games

Redhand Santa

I personally think there is too much emphasis on university football. It's about the universities flexing their muscles and in some cases trying to do out do each other. Players are only there normally for 3 or 4 years max and I find it hard to believe that anyone has huge loyalty to that uni, certainly not compared to their club or county. The games do not exactly attract a huge following. I wonder do the people on here who keep knocking tyrone actually follow university football?

Aaron Boone

Quote from: ck on January 14, 2014, 08:56:13 PM
Mickey Harte runs the McKenna Cup from his chaise longe as he gets fed grapes by ulster council reps and is fanned with big feathers by tyrone county board officials.
He should get the cup named after him.

supersarsfields

Out of interest how many Tyrone players are being pulled away from the Uni teams in comparison to other counties?

stronghold

Quote from: supersarsfields on January 14, 2014, 10:43:47 PM
Out of interest how many Tyrone players are being pulled away from the Uni teams in comparison to other counties?
Tyrone have taken 10
Down 2
Monaghan 2
Fermanagh 1
Armagh and Antrim won't let their uni players play against them
So against Antrim UUJ where without 11 players

Itchy

GAA should make an enforce a rule that colleges have 1st call on players. Cavan don't involve students or u21s yet can still field a competitive team. Are we expected to believe Tyrone can't. I'm getting a bit sick of Mickey Harte and his whinging. Man up and grow a pair ulster council.

Whishtup

Quote from: ck on January 14, 2014, 08:56:13 PM
Mickey Harte runs the McKenna Cup from his chaise longe as he gets fed grapes by ulster council reps and is fanned with big feathers by tyrone county board officials.

I was thinking more blackberries and brackens.

orangeman

There's a lot of Tyrone boys at university. They must be very smart in Tyrone ?

DuffleKing

Na, the most of them are at the Poly

stronghold

BennyHarp

Quote from: stronghold on January 14, 2014, 10:52:48 PM
Tyrone have taken 10
Down 2
Monaghan 2
Fermanagh 1

Is this just for UUJ? If this is reflected across the other universities then its hardly surprising Tyrone take the stand they do - its ok for Down, Monaghan, Armagh etc when losing 1 or 2 players but if you are losing 10 players from one University and god knows how many when you combine all three, then add in the older players who are being phased back, it would be a pretty pointless competition for Tyrone to enter as any sort of meaningful preparation for the season ahead.
That was never a square ball!!

sheamy

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 15, 2014, 09:08:31 AM
Tyrone have taken 10
Down 2
Monaghan 2
Fermanagh 1

Is this just for UUJ? If this is reflected across the other universities then its hardly surprising Tyrone take the stand they do - its ok for Down, Monaghan, Armagh etc when losing 1 or 2 players but if you are losing 10 players from one University and god knows how many when you combine all three, then add in the older players who are being phased back, it would be a pretty pointless competition for Tyrone to enter as any sort of meaningful preparation for the season ahead.

No

BennyHarp

Quote from: sheamy on January 15, 2014, 09:10:52 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 15, 2014, 09:08:31 AM
Tyrone have taken 10
Down 2
Monaghan 2
Fermanagh 1

No

So what is that figure then? The post certainly suggests that this is the number of Tyrone players withdrawn from the UUJ panel. Do you have the actual numbers then Sheamy?
That was never a square ball!!

DennistheMenace

I'm heartened by Brian McIver's viewpoint on it, fair play to him.

ck

Quote from: DennistheMenace on January 15, 2014, 09:27:11 AM
I'm heartened by Brian McIver's viewpoint on it, fair play to him.

What did he say? I've always been impressed with McIvors logical comments post match