Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

An entertaining game but very low in quality. Stevie Mc is a clown, Matic MOM? He was average which was an improvement on most of his recent displays. Bailly excellent for most of the game but needs to cut out the mistakes but deserves a run in the side, hope Dalot gets games too; He probably should have come off through tiredness but he still kept going and attacking down the right flank. Lingard was poor, he offered nothing in possession and wasn't impressed with the way he pressed.

Mourinho again doing his best to get the sack, so many player changes and a change in formation too along with some of his comments after the game. I'd say he can't believe he's they've not got rid of him yet!

I noticed one of the journo's for the times commented how surprised how little discontentment there is amongst the fans at OT; The majority of them probably weren't even huge football fans when they were younger judging by the majority of the people I know who go whilst the majority of knowledgeable reds I know just don't go.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on December 06, 2018, 09:43:58 AM
An entertaining game but very low in quality. Stevie Mc is a clown, Matic MOM? He was average which was an improvement on most of his recent displays. Bailly excellent for most of the game but needs to cut out the mistakes but deserves a run in the side, hope Dalot gets games too; He probably should have come off through tiredness but he still kept going and attacking down the right flank. Lingard was poor, he offered nothing in possession and wasn't impressed with the way he pressed.

Mourinho again doing his best to get the sack, so many player changes and a change in formation too along with some of his comments after the game. I'd say he can't believe he's they've not got rid of him yet!

I noticed one of the journo's for the times commented how surprised how little discontentment there is amongst the fans at OT; The majority of them probably weren't even huge football fans when they were younger judging by the majority of the people I know who go whilst the majority of knowledgeable reds I know just don't go.

Ya, I was probably wrong to include Lingard for praise. On a few occasions I noticed Rashford being pretty annoyed with his poor efforts at closing down and he gave no support to Dalot. I agree Dalot's instincts look good but he tired badly and it could have cost United.

Statement you make about the knowledge level of fans is probably true of most of the big clubs. A sad refelctioon on where the Premier League has taken things. Midweek games always have a better atmosphere as it's usually more committed syupporters that go.

Dire Ear

OgraAnDun

Bord na Mona man

I reckon a lot of United supporters quietly seethe to themselves rather than publically vent. Most know the game is up with Mourinho but for a game like last night they'll still back the team against big rivals. A lot of them see booing their own as something that other clubs do.

I was there last night and heard a couple of conversions where older fans who made reference to being relegated in the 70s when they were in conversion with younger ones who were feeling grumpy about the current maliase. Basically I don't think there is a deep sense of entitlement in the club DNA.
Take out the Ferguson era and the club has won only 7 league titles. Even in the Ferguson era several trophies were left behind and others were won the hard way,

Last night may have seemed poor for some viewers, but the fans appreciated the extra bite shown by the likes of Rojo and Bailly. They might have been firefighting at times, but at least they earned their paychecks. It felt a bit more like the Arsenal battles of old before Wenger had managed to completely castrate the gunners. The bit of dirt thrown in by both teams spiced it up nicely, Arsenal seemed happy with a draw for most of the night with their rolling around and timewasting. Thankfully they left it late to really start trying to exploit United's disorganised defence.

Puckoon

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on December 07, 2018, 01:37:26 AM
I reckon a lot of United supporters quietly seethe to themselves rather than publically vent. Most know the game is up with Mourinho but for a game like last night they'll still back the team against big rivals. A lot of them see booing their own as something that other clubs do.

I was there last night and heard a couple of conversions where older fans who made reference to being relegated in the 70s when they were in conversion with younger ones who were feeling grumpy about the current maliase. Basically I don't think there is a deep sense of entitlement in the club DNA.
Take out the Ferguson era and the club has won only 7 league titles. Even in the Ferguson era several trophies were left behind and others were won the hard way,

Last night may have seemed poor for some viewers, but the fans appreciated the extra bite shown by the likes of Rojo and Bailly. They might have been firefighting at times, but at least they earned their paychecks. It felt a bit more like the Arsenal battles of old before Wenger had managed to completely castrate the gunners. The bit of dirt thrown in by both teams spiced it up nicely, Arsenal seemed happy with a draw for most of the night with their rolling around and timewasting. Thankfully they left it late to really start trying to exploit United's disorganised defence.

Ha! I'll see you in the tunnel, Keane.

Regards
Viera.

Insane Bolt

My son supports United and he said it's strange the amount of stick Jose gets from the press, given that he has won more trophies at United than Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea combined. Strange the relatively free ride Klopp, Pocc et al get.

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 07, 2018, 08:27:49 AM
My son supports United and he said it's strange the amount of stick Jose gets from the press, given that he has won more trophies at United than Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea combined. Strange the relatively free ride Klopp, Pocc et al get.

Liverpool suffered for years with the likes of Roy Hodgson managing, buying mediocre players and owners who were basically running the club into the ground.  Fast forward to now, where you have owners backing a manager who shows a bit of passion towards the club, fans and players.  They are in much more exciting position now than they have for years.  As time goes on expectations will rise, but the club is in a much better shape now than it has been for a long time.

United have a high level of expectancy following Fergie, and whilst it's been nice to see the United fans squirm for a change, I hate everything that Jose represents.  It's all about him and everything else is second.  I enjoyed his first season at Chelsea when he seemed like a breath of fresh air, but after that he just comes across as an egotistical whinge bag.  He'll do his best to sabotage all around him then blame everyone else for his failures.  The only reason he hasn't walked is he's waiting on the big pay off.

United Fans should be a lot more vocal about how he's treating the club.

HiMucker

It doesn't matter what he has won. If you have been a **** on your rise to the top don't be surprised that people stick the boot in on your way down. If someone like Pellegrini was in charge now getting the same results, he wouldn't even get half the abuse.

J70

Err... context??

1. Liverpool were an utter shambles when Klopp took over.
2. The trophy thing is irrelevant. Klopp's remit was to rebuild Liverpool to challenge for the Premier League and become Champions League regulars. Had Liverpool won that penalty shoot out against City in the League Cup final in Klopp's first season, would that have made one iota of difference in the grand scheme? All that really matters is that Klopp is rebuilding the club on the league and champions league front. Which he is clearly doing. The rest is fluff and irrelevant absent league performance. Just ask Mourinho. Or Van Gaal. Or Dalglish after his second run at Liverpool.
3. City are an unprecedented force in the premier league era. Remember the days when Ferguson used to talk about only being able to lose four or five games if you wanted to challenge? Think Chelsea may have hit 100 points once, but City are going to do it as a matter of course.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2018, 11:11:37 AM

Err... context??

2. The trophy thing is irrelevant. Klopp's remit was to rebuild Liverpool to challenge for the Premier League and become Champions League regulars. Had Liverpool won that penalty shoot out against City in the League Cup final in Klopp's first season, would that have made one iota of difference in the grand scheme? All that really matters is that Klopp is rebuilding the club on the league and champions league front. Which he is clearly doing. The rest is fluff and irrelevant absent league performance. Just ask Mourinho. Or Van Gaal. Or Dalglish after his second run at Liverpool.
3. City are an unprecedented force in the premier league era. Remember the days when Ferguson used to talk about only being able to lose four or five games if you wanted to challenge? Think Chelsea may have hit 100 points once, but City are going to do it as a matter of course.

Trophies are irrelevant......ok Ted😜 My point is United have won more than all the other 'top teams' combined, finished runners up last season....yet Jose is the one getting stick. Klopp has been good for Liverpool,but they have won nothing.....Pochettino at Spurs....again won nothing.

rodney trotter

Liverpool will eventually win a trophy under Klopp. They have been in 3 finals since he took over. Not as if they are getting nowhere. A bit of luck and they could have won at least of those finals.

They are playing good football. He has improved the defence. United are awful in comparison

Insane Bolt

Quote from: rodney trotter on December 07, 2018, 12:34:51 PM
Liverpool will eventually win a trophy under Klopp. They have been in 3 finals since he took over. Not as if they are getting nowhere. A bit of luck and they could have won at least of those finals.

They are playing good football. He has improved the defence. United are awful in comparison

Then the obvious question is for football fans......would you be happy/content if your team were playing good football but winning nothing?

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 07, 2018, 12:50:00 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on December 07, 2018, 12:34:51 PM

Then the obvious question is for football fans......would you be happy/content if your team were playing good football but winning nothing?

Rather that than sh*t football and winning nothing!

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Insane Bolt on December 07, 2018, 12:23:14 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 07, 2018, 11:11:37 AM

Err... context??

Trophies are irrelevant......ok Ted😜 My point is United have won more than all the other 'top teams' combined, finished runners up last season....yet Jose is the one getting stick. Klopp has been good for Liverpool,but they have won nothing.....Pochettino at Spurs....again won nothing.

I don't know a single United fan who would not rather Klopp or Poch to Mourinho. Why do you think that is??