Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cville

I was watching RTE and at half-time did I hear Michael Lyster apologising for the camera work from BBC? To be truthful he was right. Three points were missed by the Beeb (okay they were frees) but really the play should be followed by the camera. There seems to have an overkill of replays of everything which is frustrating as you can hear the crowd following the live play while the Beeb is showing a foul... sort it out.. ! 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: cville on June 24, 2012, 05:19:47 PM
I was watching RTE and at half-time did I hear Michael Lyster apologising for the camera work from BBC? To be truthful he was right. Three points were missed by the Beeb (okay they were frees) but really the play should be followed by the camera. There seems to have an overkill of replays of everything which is frustrating as you can hear the crowd following the live play while the Beeb is showing a foul... sort it out.. !
Was Sidearse on the cameras too?

BennyHarp

They missed a Monaghan goal chance as the camera cut to the sideline reporter and Jarlath Burns - ridiculous! Why did they think we needed to see them while the game was going on?
That was never a square ball!!

saffron sam2

Quote from: supersub on June 24, 2012, 03:21:13 PM
He called it as Aidan Carr replacing Maginn in starting 15 before the game when Carr was starting all along. Eoin McCartan replaced Maginn in the xi but there was no mention of him the whole of the first half, any time no15 got the ball he was called either Donal O'Hare (13) or Maginn who they clearly said wasn't playing at the start of the game. Sort it out. Also has just said 25 minutes gone in the second half here when it was the 56th minute. So unprofessional.

Carr was wearing 24 and McCartan 15. I would have had the same take on who replaced who.

I enjoyed his commentary today, but there was more than a hint of a Down bias from the Bredagh man.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

glens73

When Monaghan scored their quick goal, he said that it was like the famous Kerry v Dubs match when Charlie Nelligan was lobbed!

imtommygunn

Quote from: cville on June 24, 2012, 05:19:47 PM

The camera work was atrocious. They switched to Kane and Burns talking and in the background Monaghan sounded to have got a goal chance(from the fluffed quick kickout). The cameraman decided to just keep where he's at and then when they finish talking they show a replay of the chance while another chance is happening and they have to replay it too - farcical. I think they needed a replay of that one too.

Sidebottom was grand. He did think a lot of things that weren't fouls were fouls but that aside he was grand.

supersub

Quote from: saffron sam2 on June 24, 2012, 08:26:27 PM
Quote from: supersub on June 24, 2012, 03:21:13 PM
He called it as Aidan Carr replacing Maginn in starting 15 before the game when Carr was starting all along. Eoin McCartan replaced Maginn in the xi but there was no mention of him the whole of the first half, any time no15 got the ball he was called either Donal O'Hare (13) or Maginn who they clearly said wasn't playing at the start of the game. Sort it out. Also has just said 25 minutes gone in the second half here when it was the 56th minute. So unprofessional.

Carr was wearing 24 and McCartan 15. I would have had the same take on who replaced who.

I enjoyed his commentary today, but there was more than a hint of a Down bias from the Bredagh man.

What's your point about the numbers? Clearly said on the team sheet graphics at the start Carr was 24 and Maginn in the corner 12. Obviously he knew 15 wasn't originally on from that. Anyway there's no excuse for calling the same player 2 different names in the same half, firstly when he said Maginn wasn't starting and secondly when Donal O'Hare was on the pitch wearing 13.

ck

I'm not a fan of Sidebottom and understand why there is a thread dedicated ti his commentary, the most valid post on this thread for me is to bring back Jimmy Smyth. Why was he ever let go? He's got passion, knowledge and excitement.

DuffleKing

Credit where its due, i Thought sidearse did a good job today. Thankfully he ditched all the lame pre prepared sayings today and just described the action. When he does that only darragh maloney is better.

For me McHugh is a know all after the fact, dictating what should have happened. When do any of his predictions ever pan out?

Wildweasel74

only thought sidebottom was bad to i heard mark Lawrence the night, hes hard to listen to, most biased commentry from an Irish guy i ever hear, complaining about shirt pulling, players lying down, and alot of general smart remarks, pretty hard to listen to

Stevie g 8

He's poor but rte,s is no better with morrissey and the soccer man Maloney

nrico2006

Sidebottom seems to get a while touch, was watching the Down match on RTE yesterday and it was unreal the number of factual errors made by the commentary team as well as calling players by the wrong name etc. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Minder

Martin Carney said after 5 minutes yesterday that Lennon and Clerkin were dominating midfield and catching a lot of high ball, they hadn't caught one at that stage.

Seems like he had it prepared and was coming out with it regardless of how the game went.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

take_yer_points

Did I hear him correctly calling Dick Clerkin "The Clerkinator"?

screenexile

Quote from: take_yer_points on June 25, 2012, 09:21:36 AM
Did I hear hime correctly calling Dick Clerkin "The Clerkinator"?

I didn't watch the coverage but got a text from my mate in England . . . it all becomes clear now!