Best Song in the Last Ten Years

Started by Nally Stand, April 24, 2013, 06:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: michaelg on April 24, 2013, 09:04:50 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 24, 2013, 08:58:19 PM
'Music isn't what it used to be'. Bullshit. Maybe if your source of music is the X Factor and commercial radio stations. There's endless good music out there. Thinking of the last few years - The National, Villagers (already mentioned), Phoenix, Richard Hawley,Doves, James Vincent McMorrow, Bat For Lashes, Bright Eyes, Ryan Adams, Arcade Fire, TV On The Radio, The Gaslight Anthem...
the list is endless.
The National playing Belfast in November.  Can't see them filling the Odyssey mind you.
It's a half arena show.

Nally Stand

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 24, 2013, 06:36:56 PM
I would struggle to name many good songs in the last ten years.

True. Between that fact and the 'Wagon Wheel' post in the other thread, it just got me wondering what classics there have been in the last decade and what the best might be. It's also why I haven't made any suggestions of my own to the thread yet - can't think of a winner! P.s. Ziggy, going by wiki, The Rising was 2002, so afraid it's out of the running!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ziggy90

Ah well, I could still pick anyone of a number of songs off the 'Wrecking Ball' album.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Nally Stand

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 24, 2013, 09:37:41 PM
Ah well, I could still pick anyone of a number of songs off the 'Wrecking Ball' album.

+1. And I'd say Death to my Hometown would be the pick of them all. Great album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UASyS-jUKKI
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggy90

Quote from: Nally Stand on April 24, 2013, 09:41:43 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on April 24, 2013, 09:37:41 PM

+1. And I'd say Death to my Hometown would be the pick of them all. Great album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UASyS-jUKKI

Was going to suggest that myself, so just to be different :o. 'You've got it'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RtJHZwDpXc
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

michaelg

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 24, 2013, 09:31:33 PM
Quote from: michaelg on April 24, 2013, 09:04:50 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 24, 2013, 08:58:19 PM
'Music isn't what it used to be'. Bullshit. Maybe if your source of music is the X Factor and commercial radio stations. There's endless good music out there. Thinking of the last few years - The National, Villagers (already mentioned), Phoenix, Richard Hawley,Doves, James Vincent McMorrow, Bat For Lashes, Bright Eyes, Ryan Adams, Arcade Fire, TV On The Radio, The Gaslight Anthem...
the list is endless.
The National playing Belfast in November.  Can't see them filling the Odyssey mind you.
It's a half arena show.
Had a look at the map on Ticketmaster and thought that it seemed a bit strange.  Ever been to a 'half arena show' there?

Maguire01

No, but they just move the stage up the floor, so you still have a crowd on 3 sides.

BarryBreensBandage

I would struggle to name many good songs in the last ten years. Music has been destroyed by manufactured bands and reality television talent shows. The children of today will buy any rubbish most of them are told what to buy through multimillion pound advertisements.

Bring back the 60s,70s,80s or 90s when music meant more than just money.

Ah, nostalgia gettin the better of you, Captain?

Music has always been about making money -

60's? - Elvis
70's? - Bay City Rollers, Motown
80's? - Stock Aiken Waterman, New Kids on the Block

Need I go on? And reality shows? Opportunity Knocks and New Faces.

The good music is out there, you just gotta look harder, which is also easier nowadays with music being so readily available, and you don't have to save for an over priced LP to find out you don't like it.

"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

moysider

Quote from: armaghniac on April 24, 2013, 07:05:29 PM
music is not what it used to be, but 400 million odd viewers can't all be wrong
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

Hmmmm. I say they can.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on April 24, 2013, 11:46:39 PM
I would struggle to name many good songs in the last ten years. Music has been destroyed by manufactured bands and reality television talent shows. The children of today will buy any rubbish most of them are told what to buy through multimillion pound advertisements.

Bring back the 60s,70s,80s or 90s when music meant more than just money.

Ah, nostalgia gettin the better of you, Captain?

Music has always been about making money -

60's? - Elvis
70's? - Bay City Rollers, Motown
80's? - Stock Aiken Waterman, New Kids on the Block

Need I go on? And reality shows? Opportunity Knocks and New Faces.

The good music is out there, you just gotta look harder, which is also easier nowadays with music being so readily available, and you don't have to save for an over priced LP to find out you don't like it.

Maybe nostalgia has got the better of me. Music is money exercise for those musicians involved however they still wrote and created songs that would inspire generations and most of them weren't manufactured.

Should we have to look harder to find good music? when i was a lad i switched on the radio and taped any song i liked for free. Nowadays i couldn't listen to the rubbish on the radio and the music channels on the television aren't watchable either. Good point about music being so readily available if only we had that back in the day.

BennyCake

moysider

Quote from: michaelg on April 24, 2013, 07:28:28 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on April 24, 2013, 06:23:42 PM
Time to pretend - MGMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sArxl4TR8K0
An excellent opening shout.  Great song.

It s got something but I dunno about great. Lyrics and music a bit forced.

Syferus

The reason some people think music has somehow gotten 'bad' on an overall scale - outside misguided nostalgia - is because music has become much more unfiltered. Mass media used to be the primary source of information and buzz and record companies were the only ones who could afford the tech needed by artists to record their songs to a professional standard.

Now the means of production and distribution are democratised, a lad with a laptop, a decent mic rig and a bit of padding can record to a level at least comparable to major studios and we have access to every song under the sun for free in some guise online. We can try before we buy, that is if we even need  to buy.

It all means there's more good music being produced than ever before in history but because the volume has become so high the noise has become huge as well.

You just have to be willing to try new music and take the black eyes that come with finding six song that are completely forgettable to find the one you love. The same as before in a way, just that now you are much more empowered as a consumer.

ranch