Official Monaghan GAA Thread

Started by GrandMasterFlash, February 02, 2007, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Bottom Brick

They had new tight fitting "rugby style" jerseys against London, looked alright

Doesn't suit Woods that well  ;D
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Mid Mon

have been wearing that one all year. It was mentioned on hoganstand thats its simular to the cork jersey with the 3 O'neills/adidas stripes.

thebandit

Ah shite, does this mean I have to get a new half and half jersey (created especially for blow ins)

GrandMasterFlash

Any man makin the trip to Clones Sunda? This should be one of the more intersting clashes this year to date. There's a right bit of mental baggage there with Offaly, i.e. we have never beatin them!!! Should do it even without Finlay I reckon (no disrepect to the man). There should be enough competition for places now to keep the lads sharp. It's a pity the U21 games is tomorrow gien the number of players on both panels but my feeling is we can win Sunday! There, I've just nailed my colours to the mast! (again..)

thebandit

Good performance Sunday, I just hope we haven't peaked too soon.

t was a winning and a history making weekend for Monaghan with four county teams in action in four different competitions resulting in three victories and one drawn match.

The history making part of it comes by virtue of Monaghan recording their first ever National Football League victory over Offaly thereby clinching a semi-final place and a spot in the new division 2 for next season. It was by any standards the defining match in the current league for Monaghan as they had to dig into their reserves of courage, commitment, inner strength and belief to eke out the narrowest of victories against an Offaly side who came searching for vital points to keep their own promotion hopes alive.

The game itself was played at championship pace and in weather conditions that were more akin to Midsummer than early spring. The game started at a cracking pace and both sides maintained that momentum as well as producing periods of dominance that saw the outcome very finely balanced right to the final whistle. Monaghan's cause was not helped by an overzealous referee who issued as many as seven yellow cards to Monaghan players while Offaly incurred just one despite the fact that the exchanges were full-blooded from both sides. That said though Monaghan showed a depth of character to dig their way out of trouble after they had been hauled back to parity in the final 10 minutes.

They also enjoyed a modicum of good fortune as Offaly sharp shooter Niall McNamee missed out on a late chance to put his side in front going into injury time. It was only one of two efforts from the Rhode player that failed to produce a score as his unerring accuracy produced a total of 10 points for his side and by virtue of that return he kept them in the match for long periods. If there is a downside to the outcome it is the fact that Monaghan will miss out on league semi-final day in Croke Park by virtue of the last round of matches in division 2A. being postponed to facilitate the playing of the outstanding match between London and Leitrim.

That game goes ahead next week end when Monaghan were due to play Leitrim and that final round now takes place on April 15th, the same date as the semi finals had been fixed for. The division 2 semi-finals now look like being played on Sunday, April 22nd and with a number of issues impacting on the outcome in divisions 2A. and 2B Monaghan as yet do not know who they will actually be meeting.

ALLINAZ FOOTBALL LEAGUE DIV. 2A.
Monaghan 0-13
Offaly 0-12
A point by substitute Paul Meegan three minutes into injury time saw Monaghan snatch a late dramatic victory in this thrill a minute spectacular that was played in summer like conditions in Clones yesterday. Offaly will be disappointed that they did not take something out of this game as they had contributed immensely to what had been a fascinating contest. They also had the top scorer in Niall McNamee who finished with nine points, five from frees, and it was his accuracy that kept them in the game especially in the second half.

Monaghan got off to a lively start and picked off a couple fo early points through Tom Freeman and Ciaran Hanratty but Offaly began to get a grip out arounbd the middle and the pressure mounted on the home side. Offaly were winning the bulk of the broken play in midfield while their defence with Paul McConway and James Keane outstanding kept driving them forward on counter attacks. Niall McNamee proved the real danger man and his accuracy helped the Faithful County get on top. By the end of the first quarter they had turned that early deficit around to lead by two with the pace picking up and Derry official Barry Toland flashing a plethora of yellow cards, some for minor indiscretions. Offaly went on to lead at half time by 0-6 to 0-5 and could well have been further ahead but for somelast ditch defending by Monaghan.

Niall McNamee extended their lead two minutes into the second half and he was on target again in an exchange wiuth Tom Freeman to still leave two points between the sides. The introduction of U21 captain Benny McKenna along with Rory Woods now began to pay dividends for Monaghan and in a purple patch between the 10th and 24th minutes they hit five points without reply to open a four points gap.

Offaly however were far from finished and they replied with four on the trot , three from McNamee and one form substitute Alan Keeleghan to tie the game up entering injury time. McNamee had another free to restore Offaly to the lead, he opted to strike form the ground and the ball was cleared with Monaghan mounting a counter attack that saw substitute Paul Finlay splitting the posts to put Monaghan into the semi final and assured of division 2 football next season.

Teams and Scorers:
Monaghan: Shane Duffy, Donal Morgan, Mark Duffy, Colm Flanagan, Dessie Mone 0-1, Vincent Corey, Gary McQuaid 0-1, Eoin Lennon, Dick Clerkin, Ciaran Hanratty 0-2, Stephen Gollogly, Damien Freeman, Tomas Freeman 0-5, Shane Smith 0-2, Conor McManus. Subs: Ciaran Hughes for M Duffy, Rory Woods 0-1 for D Freeman, Brendan McKenna for C McManus, Paul Meegan 0-1 for S Gollogly.

Offaly: Padraic Kelly, Ger Rafferty, Joe Quinn, James Keane, Paul McConway, Shane Sullivan, Karl Slattery, Alan McNamee, Niall Smith, Thomas Coughlan, Neville Coughlan 0-1, Ciaran McManus, Thomas Deehan 0-1, PJ Ward, Niall McNamee 0-9. Subs: Scott Brady for S Sullivan, Pascal Keeleghan for PJ Ward, Aidan Keeneghan 0-1 for N Smith, James Coughlan for T Coughlan.
Referee: Barry Toland (Derry).

Main Street

QuoteA point by substitute Paul Meegan
Is that a misprint? surely it should read sharpshooter Paul Finlay instead.
Thanks for posting the article anyway.

GrandMasterFlash

Surely it might MainStreet if he was actually playing last Sunda... Finlay picked up 2 yellow cards in two league games and had to sit out last Sundas thrill a minute in St Tiernachs park. It was a great win for the Farney and the type of game they needed badly (no offence to any other NFL opponents to date!) The lads showed great resolve and spirit as Offaly are no easy team to beat. Our lads looked small against the Offaly men and Offaly seemed to be sharper out of the blocks.. Our CHB (who are normally our strongest link) were caught in possession or made unforced errors in the first half but tightened up well in the second. It was probably the lack of options when they looked up to deliver the pass that caused the first issue so not entirely their fault! I thought the full back line weren't gettin tight enought to their men in the first half also, a problem that was rectified in the second though... All in all a good performance and I was delighted to see Paul Meegan coming on and scoring the late winner. It's good to see men other that Tommy (and Rory Woods to a large extent 2 years ago) taking the responsibilty to have a pop. Young Hanrratty is a great prospect and seems to take that extra bit of time on the ball this year which is great to see. Besides all the plaudits for the forwards though I think the two best scores were from Dessie Moen and Gary McQuaid, excellent! (although Tommies punt from an acute angle was sublime also!) BUT, it's only April and I should not be getting carried away!! There seems to be more strength in depth in the panel this year which is great. I remember in 2005 we had two sub options, which is not enough giving the pace the game is played, injuries etc... It's testament to the lads though that without Finlay and D Freeman they can still come through tight games, again, it's only April (it's as much about reminding myself!!) Here's to a good U21 Final, Armagh are not gonna be easy opponents but it's do-able!  I'm also delighted given the whole administration mess-up in the NFL Div 2A that fate is in our own hands!

Main Street

I thought I read in the scanty match report in the Indo that Finlay scored the winner, then in the report posted here
"substitute Paul Finlay splitting the posts to put Monaghan into the semi final"
Just one of those mix ups.

Main Street

QuoteFinlay picked up 2 yellow cards in two league games and had to sit out last Sundas thrill a minute in St Tiernachs park
Is there a change in the rules? I thought that 2 yellow cards in the one game leads to a sending off, punishment completed. But 2  dismissals in two games from 2 yellow card offences leads to a couple of weeks suspension.

thebandit

Saturday 7th April 2007     

Castlecool Reserve Football League Division 1 - M. Kellett Cup   
Monaghan Harps 2-6 Scotstown 1-11   
Magheracloone 1-8 Truagh 3-13   
Clontibret 1-9 Latton 0-8   

Eurotech Under Floor Heating Reserve Football League Division 2 - H.Brady Cup 
Clones 1-11 Carrickmacross 1-12   
Tyholland 2-11 Ballybay 4-8   
Doohamlet 1-8 Sean Mc Dermotts 0-8   
Inniskeen 1-7 Drumhowan 1-11   

Sunday 8th April 2007     

Gerrys Fresh Fruit & Veg Junior Football League  - Dr Ward Cup   
Currin 2-9 Blackhill 2-7   

Monday 9th April 2007     

Harte Peat Intermediate Football League - V. Mc Aviney Cup   
Cremartin 1-8 Truagh 1-6   

Gerrys Fresh Fruit & Veg Junior Football League - Dr. Ward Cup   
Toome 2-6 Eire Óg 0-7   
Oram 1-6 Killanny 0-9   

Tuesday 10th April 2007     

Boyle & Curran Minor Football League Division 1 - F. Shannon Cup   
Donaghmoyne 1-3 Monaghan Harps 1-11   
Clones 0-3 Scotstown 6-16   
Castleblayney 6-13 St. Endas 2-4   
Farney Gaels - Bye     

Boyle & Curran Minor Football League Division 2 - Mc Carey Cup   
Oram 0-8 Truagh 0-13   
Clontibret 3-10 Emyvale 1-10   
St. Patricks 3-2 Cremartin 0-16   
Emmett Sarsfields 0-4 Sean Mc Dermotts 2-10

Good results there for Cremartin and Toome

thebandit

I cant f**king believe it.

The county Under 21s are in an Ulster final on Saturday at 3:30 in Omagh. They deserve a big support.

There are league games at 7 pm.

You couldn't make it up  >:(

farniel

Heard Monaghan are putting out a trial team today for the Leitrim match? It'd be nice to keep the 100% record but I suppose you have to give the fringe players a chance. I was wondering why Monaghan were 11/10 to win the game. Still could be worth a punt though  ;D

thebandit

Hard luck to the under 21s - scoreline wasn't reflective, although Armagh deserved the win.

Big day of club action also:

Harte Peat Intermediate Football League - V. Mc Aviney Cup

Drumhowan  0-9 2-10 Tyholland 
Corduff  1-4 1-11 Truagh

Gerrys Fresh Fruit & Veg Junior Football League - Dr. Ward Cup

Toome  2-8 1-9 Killanny   
Killeevan  0-14 1-4 Blackhill 
Oram  2-11 2-9 Clones   
Eire Og  2-12 2-6 Aughnamullen

farniel

Aghabog 0-9 3-08 Seans

Heard there was awful trouble at this game. Apparently the Aghabog players got the worse doing.

Mid Mon

can anyone confirm this weekends fixtures?

Just heard that seans and the harps has been changed to monday evening.