Ulster SFC 2014

Started by quiganmaster, April 20, 2014, 09:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Dublin side v Derry.

S Cluxton; S George, P McMahon (0-01), M Fitzsimons; D Nelson, J Cooper, D Daly; D O'Mahony, MD Macauley (0-01); B Cullen, A Brogan (0-06), D Byrne; P Hudson (0-02, 1f), E O'Gara, P Andrews (0-02).

Dublin side v Tyrone.

S Currie; J Cooper, R O'Carroll, P McMahon (0-01); J McCarthy (1-00), K Nolan, J McCaffrey; MD Macauley (1-00), T Brady; J Whelan (1-01), D Connolly (0-05, 3f), B Cullen (0-01); K McManamon (0-01), E O'Gara, A Brogan (0-1).

You could argue the Dublin side that lined out against Tyrone was slightly stronger, mind you Cluxton wasnt playing. Tyrone got their fair bit of luck against Kildare. Had they not won that they could have been in contention for relegation.

No one in Derry is getting carried away with themselves. Fact remains we have underperformed in the championship over the years. If we can get past Donegal I think we can go far.

DennistheMenace

Massive IF against Donegal, I'd be very wary of them especially with Jim getting a good look at our team prior to the game.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: DennistheMenace on April 23, 2014, 10:41:20 AM
Massive IF against Donegal, I'd be very wary of them especially with Jim getting a good look at our team prior to the game.

Without doubt but will we not get a look at them on Sunday. Surely Donegal will field a strong side on Sunday and want revenge from last years Ulster final.

quiganmaster

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2014, 09:31:27 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 23, 2014, 09:20:10 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2014, 09:12:56 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 23, 2014, 08:27:20 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2014, 08:22:30 AM
Come championship time I would have Tyrone and Donegal as favourites.  Derry would be next on the ladder closely followed by Monaghan.   

Has Fay Devlin and Chris Lawn returned to the fold or what??

Why would anyone think any different? 

Preliminary Round:
Down vs Tyrone: Tyrone

Quarter Finals:
Derry vs Donegal: Donegal
Armagh vs Cavan: Cavan
Antrim vs Fermanagh: Fermanagh
Tyrone vs Monaghan: Tyrone

Semi Finals:
Donegal vs Fermanagh: Donegal
Cavan vs tyrone: Tyrone

Final:
Donegal vs Tyrone: Tyrone

Because as usual you are completely blinkered when it comes to Tyrone. You have no defence!!

Tyrones defence wasn't overly brilliant during the league but a lot of new players were introduced and becoming accustomed to the highest standard doesn't happen over night.  I would be hopeful of the defence being stronger come the summer especially with the possible additon of the two McMahons and Gormley.  I honestly just feel that Derry did well in the league due to them being ahead of the rest from the start in terms of preparation and fitness and can't really see them doing anything significant in Ulster.  Tyrone (without a defence as you say) beat them handy enough in the McKenna Cup and were comfortable as well in the league until a bit of youthful inexperience caught up with them at the end and allowed Derry to snatch the draw.

That is one of the most disrespectful posts I've seen on this board. How did tyrone get past derry handy enough in th McKenna cup? Thought derry were all over them to be fair! Derry also had numerous youngsters on in that game. In the league derry got them game back against tyrone through hard work, organisation and their fitness levels. Suppose beating kerry in Killarney was luck also? Lucky enough not to be beaten by 15 I mean... And sure tyrone had no luck at all against Kildare... And sure derry were lucky enough with the sending off of fergal Doherty against mayo....
I'm not saying derry will win Sam, or even the Anglo Celtic cup, but you have to give credit where credit due, derry have been brilliant in the league and long may it continue.

nrico2006

Quote from: quiganmaster on April 23, 2014, 11:48:36 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2014, 09:31:27 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 23, 2014, 09:20:10 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2014, 09:12:56 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 23, 2014, 08:27:20 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2014, 08:22:30 AM
Come championship time I would have Tyrone and Donegal as favourites.  Derry would be next on the ladder closely followed by Monaghan.   

Has Fay Devlin and Chris Lawn returned to the fold or what??

Why would anyone think any different? 

Preliminary Round:
Down vs Tyrone: Tyrone

Quarter Finals:
Derry vs Donegal: Donegal
Armagh vs Cavan: Cavan
Antrim vs Fermanagh: Fermanagh
Tyrone vs Monaghan: Tyrone

Semi Finals:
Donegal vs Fermanagh: Donegal
Cavan vs tyrone: Tyrone

Final:
Donegal vs Tyrone: Tyrone

Because as usual you are completely blinkered when it comes to Tyrone. You have no defence!!

Tyrones defence wasn't overly brilliant during the league but a lot of new players were introduced and becoming accustomed to the highest standard doesn't happen over night.  I would be hopeful of the defence being stronger come the summer especially with the possible additon of the two McMahons and Gormley.  I honestly just feel that Derry did well in the league due to them being ahead of the rest from the start in terms of preparation and fitness and can't really see them doing anything significant in Ulster.  Tyrone (without a defence as you say) beat them handy enough in the McKenna Cup and were comfortable as well in the league until a bit of youthful inexperience caught up with them at the end and allowed Derry to snatch the draw.

That is one of the most disrespectful posts I've seen on this board. How did tyrone get past derry handy enough in th McKenna cup? Thought derry were all over them to be fair! Derry also had numerous youngsters on in that game. In the league derry got them game back against tyrone through hard work, organisation and their fitness levels. Suppose beating kerry in Killarney was luck also? Lucky enough not to be beaten by 15 I mean... And sure tyrone had no luck at all against Kildare... And sure derry were lucky enough with the sending off of fergal Doherty against mayo....
I'm not saying derry will win Sam, or even the Anglo Celtic cup, but you have to give credit where credit due, derry have been brilliant in the league and long may it continue.

I never said Derry were lucky, they have performed brilliantly in the league so far and got what they have deserved.  I could be wrong, but I have seen teams peak for the league before when the other teams are not necessarily at the same stage preparation wise.  If they continue this into next month against Donegal then I will have been proved wrong, but at the minute I have a feeling they have a lot to prove come championship.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Syferus

Derry are the great unknowns this year. No one knows where their cap lies, they could easily find themselves in an AISF or they could be in the first round of the qualifiers. Tyrone and Donegal are known quantities, for better or worse.

J OGorman

My 2 biggest fears are:

* Derry coming up against the Donegal defence having played against teams basically trying to out score each other in open matches with one on one at the back. Though to a certain extent, we have had the experience of Mayo dropping a sweeper in to curtail the runs of players at speed off the shoulder. The match at Celtic will match an attacking team fornenst the ultra defensive team and will be fascinating.  Hopefully there is a huge crowd in

* Tyrone. These pesky hooers will have something up their sleeve which will be unveiled during the Ulster championship. ..I'm excited

Wildweasel74

we could know after a possible trimming this weekend

Aristo 60

Walter Cronc

Banter Panther

Is that glowing example of everything that is good about Ulster on here? I'm referring to Ulster's answer to Mahatma Gandhi, Ulsterman, of Hogan Stand fame?
'Donegal are a footballing superbug, with no obvious cure' - Joe Brolly 2013

Schkite

Quote from: God14 on April 23, 2014, 09:46:25 AM
Donegal are the team to beat. They will have recovered from the hangover from Sam in 12. They retain that defensive system that will smother the life out of any attack in Ulster, and the boast the No.1 forward in the province - by a country mile as well.

Id be tempted to completely rule Derry out of the equation altogether. It was obvious that they were well ahead of everyone else in their physical preparations this year. Participating in the O'Fiaich (sp) Cup before Christmas, and busting a gut in the McKenna cup. Their players openly admit they feared humiliation in Division 1 so that extra training, adrenalin & a dollop of luck has taken them to the League final. That will only take you so far. Id predict a short summer for them, closely followed by calls for the return of the Bradleys.

Tyrone will be tough to beat in Ulster. For my money they have the most resources available to any County attackwise, but too many questions & problems to be sorted out in Defence & Midfield. To be honest I think Tyrone may have went backwards a little from last year. I think they will come up short against Donegal or possibly Monaghan (who are due a bit of luck against Tyrone) in the latter stages.

Will be keeping a close eye on the development of Cavan. The rest of the teams are capable of winning a match, but not the championship

I predict Donegal to triumph, in a reverse of last years final versus Monaghan.

Just seen this and I couldn't agree. Best or not is subjective, but "by a country mile" is simply not true.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Schkite on April 29, 2014, 02:32:31 PM
Quote from: God14 on April 23, 2014, 09:46:25 AM
Donegal are the team to beat. They will have recovered from the hangover from Sam in 12. They retain that defensive system that will smother the life out of any attack in Ulster, and the boast the No.1 forward in the province - by a country mile as well.

Id be tempted to completely rule Derry out of the equation altogether. It was obvious that they were well ahead of everyone else in their physical preparations this year. Participating in the O'Fiaich (sp) Cup before Christmas, and busting a gut in the McKenna cup. Their players openly admit they feared humiliation in Division 1 so that extra training, adrenalin & a dollop of luck has taken them to the League final. That will only take you so far. Id predict a short summer for them, closely followed by calls for the return of the Bradleys.

Tyrone will be tough to beat in Ulster. For my money they have the most resources available to any County attackwise, but too many questions & problems to be sorted out in Defence & Midfield. To be honest I think Tyrone may have went backwards a little from last year. I think they will come up short against Donegal or possibly Monaghan (who are due a bit of luck against Tyrone) in the latter stages.

Will be keeping a close eye on the development of Cavan. The rest of the teams are capable of winning a match, but not the championship

I predict Donegal to triumph, in a reverse of last years final versus Monaghan.

Just seen this and I couldn't agree. Best or not is subjective, but "by a country mile" is simply not true.

K. Hughes cant be far off the best at present!

nrico2006

IMO the best forward in Ulster is Jamie Clarke.  If he was playing for one of the top teams he would be unstoppable.  Michael Murphy simply doesn't score enough from play.  McFadden would be more important to Donegal.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

J OGorman

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 29, 2014, 02:45:53 PM
IMO the best forward in Ulster is Jamie Clarke.  If he was playing for one of the top teams he would be unstoppable.  Michael Murphy simply doesn't score enough from play.  McFadden would be more important to Donegal.   

Chrikers, thats a big call. Murphy is an incredible player, a top 5er in the country. Donegals problem is they dont have 2 of him. He would be ruling all scoring charts if left in on the square and had decent ball going in. The fact that he spends a good portion of each match dropping into midfield helping out limits his scoring.

K Hughes and J Clarke are completely different footballers