Ulster SFC 2014

Started by quiganmaster, April 20, 2014, 09:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on April 21, 2014, 11:29:12 AM
The mad thing is that out of 2 of the favourites, Derry & Donegal, one will be out in the first round. I believe Cavan are better than Armagh but I wouldn't be surprised if Armagh won. Monaghan will be hard bet and obviously Tyrone are still a force. I think Donegal will win Ulster.
I know by now, even a Mr Magoo can spot that their wily cynical ways are not having  the same effect of old, but I wouldn't go so far as to call Tyrone a farce.

Last year the two favourites were Donegal and Tyrone, who were paired against each other in the first round and both came a cropper.
This year the top 2 favourites, Donegal and Derry, meet in the 1st round. Surely history will repeat itself.

Black Card

Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2014, 02:12:00 PM
Quote from: Black Card on April 21, 2014, 12:35:23 PM
The mad thing is that out of 2 of the favourites, Derry & Donegal, one will be out in the first round. I believe Cavan are better than Armagh but I wouldn't be surprised if Armagh won. Monaghan will be hard bet and obviously Tyrone are still a force. I think Donegal will win Ulster.

You would be alone there, Armagh are totally inept all over.  First round exit, maybe one qualifier win and then get rid of Grimley!

Getting rid of Grimley is not going to dramatically propel us to AI contenders.  We have a very average squad. It wouldn't matter who was in charge.

It would be a start he is as inept as the team, looks totally confused at every game.  Sooner he is gone the better.

donegal lad

Seems to be big interest in the 1st round between donegal and Derry. All tickets that went on sale online are sold out already and the supervalue stores in donegal have sold their allocation. Will be an interesting game which could all cone down to the amount of primary ball each full forward line can get.

Is setup to be an interesting ulster championship with at least 5 teams really fancying their chances at winning it

BennyCake

Quote from: Black Card on April 21, 2014, 04:34:04 PM

You would be alone there, Armagh are totally inept all over.  First round exit, maybe one qualifier win and then get rid of Grimley!

Getting rid of Grimley is not going to dramatically propel us to AI contenders.  We have a very average squad. It wouldn't matter who was in charge.

It would be a start he is as inept as the team, looks totally confused at every game.  Sooner he is gone the better.

We'll be winning feck all the next 4 or 5 years with the players we have. Grimley is no big shakes (unless he's running for his dinner), but even the best managers around would go nowhere with Armagh.

The Donegal match really disgusted me, and I am really considering not paying £20 to watch more of the same shite against Cavan. They really were brutal. We haven't a hope of beating Cavan, and we'll only win a qualifier or two if we're drawn against The likes of London or Carlow. Even then, I wouldn't be confident. We have dropped so far in the last few years, it has become embarrassing.

omagh_gael

Realy looking forward to this years Ulster championship. When was the last time at least 5 teams had genuine chances of winning it? Early '90's?

J OGorman

Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2014, 11:59:56 PM
Quote from: Black Card on April 21, 2014, 04:34:04 PM

We'll be winning feck all the next 4 or 5 years with the players we have. Grimley is no big shakes (unless he's running for his dinner), but even the best managers around would go nowhere with Armagh.

The Donegal match really disgusted me, and I am really considering not paying £20 to watch more of the same shite against Cavan. They really were brutal. We haven't a hope of beating Cavan, and we'll only win a qualifier or two if we're drawn against The likes of London or Carlow. Even then, I wouldn't be confident. We have dropped so far in the last few years, it has become embarrassing.

But Benny, we've seen what can be achieved in the championship with a manager who has a game plan to suit players who maybe are not world beaters.

babarino

We'll know a lot more about the state of three of Ulster's top dogs after this weekend.

At this juncture, among the serious contenders the three home teams to win -  Derry, the form team in Ulster this year, to beat Donegal, Tyrone to take Down and not the surprise some might think, Armagh to beat Cavan.

babarino

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 22, 2014, 08:18:20 PM
Realy looking forward to this years Ulster championship. When was the last time at least 5 teams had genuine chances of winning it? Early '90's?

Who are your 5 contenders? I'd right off Fermanagh and Antrim. A Cavan win in Armagh would put them in contention.

rrhf

Donegal, Tyrone, Derry Monaghan and Cavan

babarino

Quote from: rrhf on April 22, 2014, 10:32:43 PM
Donegal, Tyrone, Derry Monaghan and Cavan

Not so sure about dismissing Down's chances. They do have quality, have been there or thereabouts recently and have a home tie if they cause an upset in Omagh.

Main Street

There can only be one of Tyrone/Monaghan/Down, in the semi final.
If Down get through Tyrone, then surely they won't get past Monaghan;)
It's a tough championship draw for Down.

quiganmaster

Preliminary Round:
Down vs Tyrone: Tyrone

Quarter Finals:
Derry vs Donegal: Derry
Armagh vs Cavan: Cavan
Antrim vs Fermanagh: Fermanagh
Tyrone vs Monaghan: Monaghan

Semi Finals:
Derry vs Fermanagh: Derry
Cavan vs Monaghan: Monaghan

Final:
Derry vs Monaghan: Derry

Wildweasel74

son i can see you havent suffered the defeats i have following derry the past 25yrs, i dont look by Donegal to be honest and even that at the minute would favour Donegal

babarino

Quote from: quiganmaster on April 22, 2014, 11:31:13 PM
Preliminary Round:
Down vs Tyrone: Tyrone

Quarter Finals:
Derry vs Donegal: Derry
Armagh vs Cavan: Cavan
Antrim vs Fermanagh: Fermanagh
Tyrone vs Monaghan: Monaghan

Semi Finals:
Derry vs Fermanagh: Derry
Cavan vs Monaghan: Monaghan

Final:
Derry vs Monaghan: Derry

I'd agree that Derry should get to Clones, but if it's against Monaghan, which I wouldn't be so sure about, we should make it 2 in a row.

quiganmaster

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on April 22, 2014, 11:34:45 PM
son i can see you havent suffered the defeats i have following derry the past 25yrs, i dont look by Donegal to be honest and even that at the minute would favour Donegal
Wouldn't know about the last 25 years just a few short of it though! This was just the way I want it to work out and it probably won't with how competitive the ulster championship is. Donegal is a huge task, but I think we may just nip it by a point or two with home advantages saying that even if we get past them, Fermanagh are a savage of a team to play in the ulster semi final....2008.....