Ulster SFC 2014

Started by quiganmaster, April 20, 2014, 09:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Can Derry replicate league form in the c'ship? In previous years they didn't. Derry Donegal is too clos to call. Really looking forward to it. Should be interesting.

timmyot501

Preliminary Round:
Down vs Tyrone: Tyrone

Quarter Finals:
Derry vs Donegal: Donegal
Armagh vs Cavan: Cavan
Antrim vs Fermanagh: Fermanagh
Tyrone vs Monaghan: Tyrone unfortunately

Semi Finals:
Donegal vs Fermanagh: Donegal
Cavan vs tyrone: Tyrone

Final:
Donegal vs tyrone: Donegal

nrico2006

Come championship time I would have Tyrone and Donegal as favourites.  Derry would be next on the ladder closely followed by Monaghan.   
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Walter Cronc

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2014, 08:22:30 AM
Come championship time I would have Tyrone and Donegal as favourites.  Derry would be next on the ladder closely followed by Monaghan.   

Has Fay Devlin and Chris Lawn returned to the fold or what??

Black Card

Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2014, 11:59:56 PM
Quote from: Black Card on April 21, 2014, 04:34:04 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on April 21, 2014, 02:12:00 PM
Quote from: Black Card on April 21, 2014, 12:35:23 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 21, 2014, 11:29:12 AM
The mad thing is that out of 2 of the favourites, Derry & Donegal, one will be out in the first round. I believe Cavan are better than Armagh but I wouldn't be surprised if Armagh won. Monaghan will be hard bet and obviously Tyrone are still a force. I think Donegal will win Ulster.

You would be alone there, Armagh are totally inept all over.  First round exit, maybe one qualifier win and then get rid of Grimley!

Getting rid of Grimley is not going to dramatically propel us to AI contenders.  We have a very average squad. It wouldn't matter who was in charge.

It would be a start he is as inept as the team, looks totally confused at every game.  Sooner he is gone the better.

We'll be winning feck all the next 4 or 5 years with the players we have. Grimley is no big shakes (unless he's running for his dinner), but even the best managers around would go nowhere with Armagh.

The Donegal match really disgusted me, and I am really considering not paying £20 to watch more of the same shite against Cavan. They really were brutal. We haven't a hope of beating Cavan, and we'll only win a qualifier or two if we're drawn against The likes of London or Carlow. Even then, I wouldn't be confident. We have dropped so far in the last few years, it has become embarrassing.

Totally agree - was going through my old programmes and ticket stubs with my son from the noughties busting with pride, be a long time before he see's Armagh close to a final.

nrico2006

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 23, 2014, 08:27:20 AM

Why would anyone think any different? 

Preliminary Round:

Quarter Finals:
Tyrone vs Monaghan: Tyrone

Semi Finals:

Final:
Donegal vs Tyrone: Tyrone
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

DennistheMenace

Personally I think whoever wins the Derry v Donegal game will win Ulster. Most anticipated Ulster Championship in a long time I think,

Walter Cronc

Quote from: nrico2006 on April 23, 2014, 09:12:56 AM

Preliminary Round:

Quarter Finals:

Semi Finals:

Final:

Because as usual you are completely blinkered when it comes to Tyrone. You have no defence!!

nrico2006

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 23, 2014, 09:20:10 AM

Preliminary Round:

Quarter Finals:

Semi Finals:

Final:

Because as usual you are completely blinkered when it comes to Tyrone. You have no defence!!

Tyrones defence wasn't overly brilliant during the league but a lot of new players were introduced and becoming accustomed to the highest standard doesn't happen over night.  I would be hopeful of the defence being stronger come the summer especially with the possible additon of the two McMahons and Gormley.  I honestly just feel that Derry did well in the league due to them being ahead of the rest from the start in terms of preparation and fitness and can't really see them doing anything significant in Ulster.  Tyrone (without a defence as you say) beat them handy enough in the McKenna Cup and were comfortable as well in the league until a bit of youthful inexperience caught up with them at the end and allowed Derry to snatch the draw.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 23, 2014, 09:20:10 AM

Preliminary Round:

Quarter Finals:

Semi Finals:

Final:

It would be fairly blinkered to not have Tyrone down as one of the favorites. They were a semi final team last year, and apart from Derry, were the only Ulster team up against Div 1 forwards. Plus they have a returning Gormley and McMahons (Hopefully).

I'd have Donegal Tyrone and Derry on the same footing, then Monaghan, then Down and Cavan. Then Armagh and fermanagh, and finally Antrim.

Have a feeling that Cavan could be a dark horse this year.

DennistheMenace

Derry v Tyrone tie this year in the Championship would be very tasty indeed. Tyrone are tried and proven and will be about at the business end of the Championship, i've no doubt about that. Derry, well we are no longer under the radar but I don't agree that it's our fitness that has given us an advantage, the organisation, workrate and confidence McIver has instilled is reaping dividends.

God14

Donegal are the team to beat. They will have recovered from the hangover from Sam in 12. They retain that defensive system that will smother the life out of any attack in Ulster, and the boast the No.1 forward in the province - by a country mile as well.

Id be tempted to completely rule Derry out of the equation altogether. It was obvious that they were well ahead of everyone else in their physical preparations this year. Participating in the O'Fiaich (sp) Cup before Christmas, and busting a gut in the McKenna cup. Their players openly admit they feared humiliation in Division 1 so that extra training, adrenalin & a dollop of luck has taken them to the League final. That will only take you so far. Id predict a short summer for them, closely followed by calls for the return of the Bradleys.

Tyrone will be tough to beat in Ulster. For my money they have the most resources available to any County attackwise, but too many questions & problems to be sorted out in Defence & Midfield. To be honest I think Tyrone may have went backwards a little from last year. I think they will come up short against Donegal or possibly Monaghan (who are due a bit of luck against Tyrone) in the latter stages.

Will be keeping a close eye on the development of Cavan. The rest of the teams are capable of winning a match, but not the championship

I predict Donegal to triumph, in a reverse of last years final versus Monaghan.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: God14 on April 23, 2014, 09:46:25 AM
Donegal are the team to beat. They will have recovered from the hangover from Sam in 12. They retain that defensive system that will smother the life out of any attack in Ulster, and the boast the No.1 forward in the province - by a country mile as well.

Id be tempted to completely rule Derry out of the equation altogether. It was obvious that they were well ahead of everyone else in their physical preparations this year. Participating in the O'Fiaich (sp) Cup before Christmas, and busting a gut in the McKenna cup. Their players openly admit they feared humiliation in Division 1 so that extra training, adrenalin & a dollop of luck has taken them to the League final. That will only take you so far. Id predict a short summer for them, closely followed by calls for the return of the Bradleys.

Tyrone will be tough to beat in Ulster. For my money they have the most resources available to any County attackwise, but too many questions & problems to be sorted out in Defence & Midfield. To be honest I think Tyrone may have went backwards a little from last year. I think they will come up short against Donegal or possibly Monaghan (who are due a bit of luck against Tyrone) in the latter stages.

Will be keeping a close eye on the development of Cavan. The rest of the teams are capable of winning a match, but not the championship

I predict Donegal to triumph, in a reverse of last years final versus Monaghan.

Luck?? Explain that one.

God14

Walter from what I seen, I felt that you'se met one or two teams on an off day. Most notably Dublin. I suppose we will know more about that on Sunday. I would also expect a Tyrone team leading Derry by 7 points early in the second half to close the game out. A wee bit of luck is crucial for any successful side to be fair.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: God14 on April 23, 2014, 10:06:50 AM
Walter from what I seen, I felt that you'se met one or two teams on an off day. Most notably Dublin. I suppose we will know more about that on Sunday. I would also expect a Tyrone team leading Derry by 7 points early in the second half to close the game out. A wee bit of luck is crucial for any successful side to be fair.

That's the biggest pile of rubbish. Every team have off days, no team goes out and plays well every single game with a certain degree of consistency, that isn't luck on Derry's part. The only 'luck' Derry have had this year is with injuries (in comparison to previous years) or lack of. SLM aside we have escapaed relatively unscathed in the league and opening rounds of club fixtures.