Dublin v Galway

Started by INDIANA, March 24, 2010, 11:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Big game for Dublin. A win will see them into the league final unless Mayo beat Cork. Galway missing some key players but Dublin on the back of a humiliating defeat last weekend.
Hard to know how it will go. Team selection will be interesting.

Declan

Don't have much source for optimism Indiana myself but as you said team selection will be interesting

INDIANA

Quote from: Declan on March 24, 2010, 11:10:54 AM
Don't have much source for optimism Indiana myself but as you said team selection will be interesting
If we can't beat Galway missing Armstrong and Meehan and P Joyce at home Declan we can pack it up.
Joe Kernan is a cute hoor and I've huge faith in his mangerial abilities. Had the county board pushed the issue he could be managing us. No secret the Dublin job was the one he wanted.

I hope we will see a more offensive system. I've never seen a version of Dublin 's blanket defence before. I've watched Tyrone at length and their system is completely different. Can't figure out why we need a massed defence playing a sweeper. Just can't figure it out.

We're at home its up to us to set the tempo and not let them dictate matters. Galway are natural footballers so we can't afford to give them the ball and invite them onto us.

GalwayBayBoy

We had a good win over Tyrone alright but I'm not sure I would hold out much hope for this one. Granted we only lost by 2 down in Cork but that was with Meehan on board. I think our division one status will come down to the home game against Derry on the final day. One win should see us safe I think but we can't afford for our points difference to go to pot either. It's very tight down there.

tyronefan

Quote from: INDIANA on March 24, 2010, 11:21:09 AM
If we can't beat Galway missing Armstrong and Meehan and P Joyce at home Declan we can pack it up.
Joe Kernan is a cute hoor and I've huge faith in his mangerial abilities. Had the county board pushed the issue he could be managing us. No secret the Dublin job was the one he wanted.

I hope we will see a more offensive system. I've never seen a version of Dublin 's blanket defence before. I've watched Tyrone at length and their system is completely different. Can't figure out why we need a massed defence playing a sweeper. Just can't figure it out.

We're at home its up to us to set the tempo and not let them dictate matters. Galway are natural footballers so we can't afford to give them the ball and invite them onto us.

Funny would have said the same ourselves last week

Canalman

Agree with you there a tad about blanket defence Indiana. Watch a fair bit of AFL2 club football and imo the blanket defence is totally alien to our way of playing the game.
The only club I saw using it were St Vincents when winning the AICF and their system was imo a very watered down version of it........half forwards/backs and midfiield all fluid.......... but always a couple of lads sniffing around off Gilroy in the full forward line.

Think personally that the 3 Crokes lads are sticky enough markers to discard the total blanket defence.

Kudos though to Gilroy in trying out something new.

Think the tight confines of PP will not suit Galway.

INDIANA

Quote from: Canalman on March 24, 2010, 01:13:56 PM
Agree with you there a tad about blanket defence Indiana. Watch a fair bit of AFL2 club football and imo the blanket defence is totally alien to our way of playing the game.
The only club I saw using it were St Vincents when winning the AICF and their system was imo a very watered down version of it........half forwards/backs and midfiield all fluid.......... but always a couple of lads sniffing around off Gilroy in the full forward line.

Think personally that the 3 Crokes lads are sticky enough markers to discard the total blanket defence.

Kudos though to Gilroy in trying out something new.

Think the tight confines of PP will not suit Galway.

Vincents system involved one player Diamond. Everybody else was relatively orthodox as you say. We'll see what happens.

INDIANA

Quote from: tyronefan on March 24, 2010, 01:06:25 PM

Thats why I think Tyrone are slipping a bit. The old Tyrone would never have lost that game.

mouview

Quote from: INDIANA on March 24, 2010, 01:48:44 PM
Quote from: tyronefan on March 24, 2010, 01:06:25 PM

Thats why I think Tyrone are slipping a bit. The old Tyrone would never have lost that game.

Agree; goodish game in Tuam from a Galway point of view but Tyrone are a team in decline IMHO.

'Twas a good win for Galway but Tuam is worth 3-4 points *usually* for the home side; there should be a clamour to play the Derry game there also. Joe Bergin fairly upped the performance from previous games - a free-ranging wing-forward is probably his best position now. Even poor old Mattie Clancy looked like a county player this time. On the debit side, Damien Burke continues to foul, Gary O Donnell was a mile off his man all first half and Fiachra Breathnach again wasted so much possession. (Why does Frank Morris on GBFM refer to him as a new player? He's been there since 2007 and he's still bloody useless! And while we're on it, can someone point out to GBFM commentators the rather obvious differences between a short and a quick puck-out / free kick).

Anyway, Dublin to win by no more than 4 and league survival to come down to the final game.

Duine Eile

Galway team named:

1 Éoin Ó Conghaile Éoin Ó Conghaile Leitir Mór
2 Daithí Ó Raghallaigh David Reilly Mionlach
3 Finian O hÁinle Finian Hanley Bothar na Tra/Cn na Cathrach
4 Damien Dé Burcha Damien Burke Corafinne
5 Deaglan Ó Miochain Declan Meehan Cealltrach
6 Diarmaid Dé Blacha Diarmuid Blake Baile Mhuilinn
7 Gearóid Bradseach Garreth Bradshaw Maigh Cuilinn
8 Baróid Ó Cuilleanáin Barry Cullinane Baile Clár na Gaillimhe
9 Niall Ó Colmáin Niall Coleman Anach Cuain
10 Gearóid Ó Saigheas Gary Sice Corafinne
11 Fiachra Breathnach Fiachra Breathnach Leitir Mór
12 Seosamh Ó Beirgin Joe Bergin An Creagán-Maigh Locha
13 Éoin Ó Concannáin Eoin Concannon Naomh Sheamus
14 Nioclas Seoighe Nicky Joyce Cill Fhir Iarainn
15 Maitiú MacFhlannchadha Matthew Clancy Uachtar Ard

Garreth Bradshaw and Barry Cullinane in for Gary O'Donnell and Paul Conroy, can't see any other changes. The lads really need to up it another gear for this one, they were well up for the Tyrone game, hopefully we see more of the same this weekend.

seafoid

Quote from: Duine Eile on March 25, 2010, 09:55:28 PM
Galway team named:

Who puts the Erse on the names?  Dé Burcha  and Dé Blacha are wrong. there are a few fadas missing as well .
Go bhfoire Dia orainn.

Canalman

Missed a fada there on your own username there SeafÓid.

Also sure there should be a fada on the "bhfoire".

INDIANA

Stephen Cluxton; Paul Conlon, Rory O'Carroll, Philly McMahon; Hugh Gill, Cian O'Sullivan, Barry Cahill; Eamonn Fennell, Ross McConnell; Alan Hubbard, Paul Flynn, Kevin Bonner; David Henry, Bernard Brogan, Kevin McManamon.

Disappointing to see Mc Auley dropped. the logic there escapes me I'm afraid. Good to see Baz back. Not sure it will be that high scoring. Both teams look fairly thin up front. Good be tight enough this one.

Declan

Hard to call this one but glad to see Cahill back and Alan back training. After being pessimistic early in the week I'm slightly more hopeful now and with it being at home fancy we might sneak it

mouview

Quote from: Duine Eile on March 25, 2010, 09:55:28 PM
Galway team named:

Garreth Bradshaw and Barry Cullinane in for Gary O'Donnell and Paul Conroy, can't see any other changes. The lads really need to up it another gear for this one, they were well up for the Tyrone game, hopefully we see more of the same this weekend.

One step up, one step back. Big Barry's er, 'injury' seems to have cleared up. Is Conroy being rested? At least there's no O Donnell but Damien Burke holds on again. Why not give a run to Bane? Why Breathnach? Why?